Ethics question? Help appreciated! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ethics question? Help appreciated!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ethics question? Help appreciated!

Postby mikeydavison » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:37 am

I'm commissioner for a league at my office, and I have a question of ethics and commissioner responsibility that I'd appreciate some feedback on.

Basically, an owner that's well out of the playoff picture dropped Ladell Betts and Mike Furrey without replacing them. He felt that they weren't "really doing anything for him" and were just rotting on his bench. Both players were subsequently picked up by the 1st place team.

Some other owners are more than a little pissed off, and I've been asked to forcibly remove the players from the 1st place teams' roster. They feel that the above moves contradict the "every move should be made with the intent of improving ones team" part of the yahoo rules.

While I certainly don't think that dropping those players helped his team in any way, I don't think its my job to question his intent. Stupid moves and trades happen all the time but if there's no collusion or blatant imbalance, I think the commissioner has to grin and bear it. Would you agree, or do you think I should reverse the moves? Thanks so much!
mikeydavison
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:44 am

if he's in last place he has no reason to make any moves. as for reversing the moves, i don't think you should and the guy in first is probably there cause he's proactive and always checking on his team and the league happenings. the other guys simply got beat to WW. it sucks but if there's no collusion i think it should stand.

On the other hand you bring up a good point about making moves to improve ones team, yahoo rules. If that is indeed a rule than I think you can act as comish and reverse all moves made due to the dropping of betts and furrey.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby woodson_28 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:43 am

if I was commish I would do the following:

1) Remove Betts and Furry from Team 1 and give them back to the original team.

2) Restore Team 1's WW # if neccessary (If he used his #1 WW number to pick up Betts and is now #12, give him back the #1 after you remove the players)

3) Lock the "add/drop" feature of all teams that are not in playoffs (what do they need to add or drop players for? they're out).

that's what I would do. A team not in playoffs does not need to drop they're players. That ruins the 13 weeks that the other teams have been building up their own team.
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bmault » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:55 pm

We freeze all teams out of the playoffs. No moves at all. Keeps it real easy.

mine:
http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=312590
2009 Nothing
2008 Playoffs
2007 Nevermind
2006 Champ
2005 Champ
bmault
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby pangbones » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:58 pm

I agree with the others. No reason for teams to drop players that are no longer alive. You should give the players back to the original team. By the way did these players clear waivers? Do you even have a waiver wire?
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Ethics question? Help appreciated!

Postby Matthias » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:11 pm

mikeydavison wrote:He felt that they weren't "really doing anything for him" and were just rotting on his bench.

Ask him if he was paying their salary. Otherwise, what does he care?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby danleroi22 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:27 pm

bmault wrote:We freeze all teams out of the playoffs. No moves at all. Keeps it real easy.

Put this kind of strategy in play next year. ;-D
Questions or Comments? Feel free to PM me.

I know that I've been given more than beyond measure.
danleroi22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:40 pm

No brainer... reverse and lock ;-D
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:45 pm

definitely reverse and lock. theres no reason for teams out of the playoffs to make drops during the playoffs unless its a dynasty league and someone just got a lot of value and they want to pick them up for the future.

if this is a redraft, there is definitely no reason for anyone out of the playoffs to be making any moves.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby TomG » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:46 pm

I agree with most posters here. Reverse, repair WW priority, and lock.
TomG
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk