Strategy: Two backs from same game? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Strategy: Two backs from same game?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:44 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Yellowbird wrote:The other thing that can happen is one team can abandon the run, but it means the other team will concentrate on the run, giving you extra points from your opposing back.

This is a good point I didn't think of. Chances are that one of the teams will be playing from ahead and will be able to run the ball a good amount, so playing both backs in a game could actually end up being good.

Well, by this logic, you should ONLY start the back on the stronger team. Otherwise you are starting another RB who will likely have a subpar game. If the teams are evenly matched, then the whole "playing from behind" argument is out the window.

Can you give the actual RBs and matchups... it would help clarify.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigMusky » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:53 pm

In fantasy football you are usually putting a lineup that is least likely to bust....so if those two backs are the best you got that will put up points for you, then roll with them. If you are a serious underdog though and need huge weeks to win...I would not do it because a team will only get so many rushing TD's.
BigMusky
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:57 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:
mattb47 wrote:
Yellowbird wrote:The other thing that can happen is one team can abandon the run, but it means the other team will concentrate on the run, giving you extra points from your opposing back.

This is a good point I didn't think of. Chances are that one of the teams will be playing from ahead and will be able to run the ball a good amount, so playing both backs in a game could actually end up being good.

Well, by this logic, you should ONLY start the back on the stronger team. Otherwise you are starting another RB who will likely have a subpar game. If the teams are evenly matched, then the whole "playing from behind" argument is out the window.

This is assuming that you are able to effectively choose which RB will be the one relied upon more. Given the play this season, I would say this is a difficult task bordering on impossible. And if the teams are evenly matched then it will likely be a close game which is a good thing for the running games....
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:02 pm

mattb47 wrote:
Twisted Sister wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

This is assuming that you are able to effectively choose which RB will be the one relied upon more. Given the play this season, I would say this is a difficult task bordering on impossible. And if the teams are evenly matched then it will likely be a close game which is a good thing for the running games....

we need to see the specific examples... it's futile to spend all this time on what ifs.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:04 pm

if anyone has the inclination, you can see my specific quandry here. I wanted general strategy for this situation, as I don't recall it happening to me in recent memory. I'm sure it happened when I was new, but I don't remember it.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=312234
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yellowbird » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:35 pm

Given that your line-up is this:

Vick
Wayne
S. Moss
Alexander
Westbrook
Shayne Graham
FLEX question
Cincy D

I see no problem going with Westbrook and Betts. Both backs have the ability to grind out a lead if necessary (mind you Big Andy's playcalling usually doesn't roll that way, but Westy will get his touches).

If either are behind, both have the ability to be involved in the passing game. Again we all know Brian's skills, but Betts has 301 yards receiving this season. He can catch a ball or two and thus probably won't be useless if playing from behind. These odds increase with Campbell in at QB. Less experienced QBs tend to hit outlet receivers TEs and RBs when teams drop back into deep zones, double and triple covering WRs.

Thanks to madaslives911 for the Sig.
Yellowbird
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby eman » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:51 pm

Gotta go with Betts then. Washington has a rook qb so theyll have to rely on the run a lot regardless, and even if Philly has to turn to the passing game, Westy would still be deeply involved.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:10 pm

its not that terrible an idea- that being said, one thing i think u never do is start 2 backs on the same team (i.e. dillon and maroney, MJD and taylor, etc.)

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:20 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:its not that terrible an idea- that being said, one thing i think u never do is start 2 backs on the same team (i.e. dillon and maroney, MJD and taylor, etc.)

they mean having the rbs from the two opposing teams that play each other.

to answer your question, last year i had larry johnson and tiki barber on my team on the sunday night game where macnamara or w/e his name is died. if you don't remember what happened, tiki got a career day wiht 200+ rushing yards and a couple tds. larry johnson only posted a meager 150 or so rushing yards with a td :-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:46 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:its not that terrible an idea- that being said, one thing i think u never do is start 2 backs on the same team (i.e. dillon and maroney, MJD and taylor, etc.)

they mean having the rbs from the two opposing teams that play each other.

to answer your question, last year i had larry johnson and tiki barber on my team on the sunday night game where macnamara or w/e his name is died. if you don't remember what happened, tiki got a career day wiht 200+ rushing yards and a couple tds. larry johnson only posted a meager 150 or so rushing yards with a td :-D

i no that, thats why i started off with saying its not a terrible idea, then after that i commented speraratly for if they are on the same team

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk