Brady files lawsuit against Yahoo! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Brady files lawsuit against Yahoo!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Brady files lawsuit against Yahoo!

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:19 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
Double Play Ball wrote:Tom Brady has filed a lawsuit against Yahoo for their use of his image and likeness in fantasy football advertisements both in print and online.
In late summer, Yahoo ran a fantasy football print ad in Sports Illustrated with the images of Randy Moss, LaDainian Tomlinson, Jeremy Shockey, Steve Smith, Larry Johnson and Tom Brady. Since Yahoo has a fantasy football license from the NFLPA and the NFLPA holds licensing rights wherever six or more players are used, we aren't sure how Brady has much of a case

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1207061brady1.html


if its legal, then its not illegal


Do we have a mini John Madden on our hands?
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Postby stomperrob » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:30 pm

Yeh, I thought everyone was covered by the NFLPA agreement except for LaVar Arrington because he refused to be included a few years back.
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 160)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Postby Smee » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:41 pm

stomperrob wrote:Yeh, I thought everyone was covered by the NFLPA agreement except for LaVar Arrington because he refused to be included a few years back.


Why was that? I remember on Madden that he was "ROLB #56".
Image
Smee
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 277
Joined: 30 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 608

Postby stomperrob » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:55 pm

Smee wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Yeh, I thought everyone was covered by the NFLPA agreement except for LaVar Arrington because he refused to be included a few years back.


Why was that? I remember on Madden that he was "ROLB #56".


I dunno, he just refused - I just remember that he was not included in the agreement with NFLPA at one time so his name and likeness could not be used on fantasy sites - he is on Yahoo now though.
Image
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 13579
(Past Year: 160)
Joined: 19 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Steeler Nation!!!

Postby Peacesells » Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:32 pm

I believe the NFLPA marketing agreement works like this:

All monies made through this agreement and go into one pool which is distributed to all players evenly. This includes jersies and such. Some players believe that since they are "Name" players that they should get a larger portion so they opt out of the agreement and do all their own marketing. LaVar is one of these players.

Peace
PLEASE RATE MY AUCTION DRAFT. CLICK BELOW.
viewtopic.php?t=340649
Peacesells
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 309
Joined: 30 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sixxgunn » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:15 am

I used to like Brady, but now he's just gay. (NTTAWWT)
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4887
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Who?

Re: Brady files lawsuit against Yahoo!

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:36 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:
Double Play Ball wrote:Tom Brady has filed a lawsuit against Yahoo for their use of his image and likeness in fantasy football advertisements both in print and online.
In late summer, Yahoo ran a fantasy football print ad in Sports Illustrated with the images of Randy Moss, LaDainian Tomlinson, Jeremy Shockey, Steve Smith, Larry Johnson and Tom Brady. Since Yahoo has a fantasy football license from the NFLPA and the NFLPA holds licensing rights wherever six or more players are used, we aren't sure how Brady has much of a case

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/1207061brady1.html


if its legal, then its not illegal


Do we have a mini John Madden on our hands?


stop dissing John Madden. he is an excellent commentator.














































;-7 :-D
Image
Image
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 11906
Joined: 15 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:21 am

Peacesells wrote:I believe the NFLPA marketing agreement works like this:

All monies made through this agreement and go into one pool which is distributed to all players evenly. This includes jersies and such. Some players believe that since they are "Name" players that they should get a larger portion so they opt out of the agreement and do all their own marketing. LaVar is one of these players.

Peace


Barry Bonds did something similar to this in baseball... MVP Baseball called him John Dowd and All Star Baseball called him the Mailman :-b
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1266
Joined: 2 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 20:19 hours
(and 41 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact