Neighbours shocked by crucified Santa - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Neighbours shocked by crucified Santa

Moderator: Football Moderators

Neighbours shocked by crucified Santa

Postby stomperrob » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:21 pm

Some people are just weird
Crucified Santa shocking

By CP

METCHOSIN, B.C. -- A Vancouver Island artist has put an effigy of a crucified Santa Claus on his front lawn, causing some of his neighbours to complain it's traumatizing their children.

Jimmy Wright said the figure is intended to be a comment on society's growing appetite for consumer goods.

"I don't know how it came into my mind, but I thought I'm going to take Santa Claus and I'm going to crucify him," Wright said.

"All I wanted to do was to promote a dialogue."

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:47 pm

uhh, ok... :-? :-t

"I don't know how it came into my mind, but I thought I'm going to take Santa Claus and I'm going to crucify him," Wright said.

what kind of person comes up with that kind of an idea? that's something that belongs in the random thread.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Verdun Barbarians » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:51 pm

I think I like the idea behind the move. Christmas is indeed a great example of a religious event turnig into a Capitalist exclamation.

Though I think reactions from the neighbourhood were predictable.
Verdun Barbarians
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Metroid » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:54 pm

I think thats too funny. :-b

Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:27 pm

Verdun Barbarians wrote:I think I like the idea behind the move. Christmas is indeed a great example of a religious event turnig into a Capitalist exclamation.

Whatever. Some idiot decides to "promote a dialogue" in a completely tasteless fashion and you think it's a good idea?

Just.... wow.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby terpfan » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:42 pm

As an idea its not terrible. But your front lawn isnt the place for it. This complaint is much more reasonable than the peace sign shaped wreath one.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:02 pm

knapplc wrote:
Verdun Barbarians wrote:I think I like the idea behind the move. Christmas is indeed a great example of a religious event turnig into a Capitalist exclamation.

Whatever. Some idiot decides to "promote a dialogue" in a completely tasteless fashion and you think it's a good idea?

Just.... wow.

Really? I wouldnt say its a good idea but its not nearly as tasteless as the subject of the message hes trying to send. Sometimes shock value is a good way to get your point across. I dont know if this situation warranted such an extreme visual message but thats not really for me to decide. I would also say its a better symbol of how Americas forgotten the true meaning of Christmas.

My personal opinion? It really doesnt bother me but I can see how small children and devote religious people would be traumatized and offended by it. It would be better served in an art gallery somewhere or a protest in front of the Gap then his front lawn. :-?
Metroid

Postby josebach » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:13 pm

It's another perfect example of some talentless schmuck who because his work lacks any real merit has to rely on shock value to bring attention to himself. This guy is just like that "bong hits 4 Jesus" kid... pathetic. Whether the image has meaning or not is really irrelevent. Displaying something like that in a neighborhood full of children is in no way, shape or form appropriate.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:33 pm

josebach wrote:It's another perfect example of some talentless schmuck who because his work lacks any real merit has to rely on shock value to bring attention to himself. This guy is just like that "bong hits 4 Jesus" kid... pathetic. Whether the image has meaning or not is really irrelevent. Displaying something like that in a neighborhood full of children is in no way, shape or form appropriate.

I totally agree jose. ;-D

And I totally agree with the message hes supposedly trying to get across, but the image and message is meant for consumers which for the most part would be adults not children. To subject small children to an image such as this is classless and in poor taste. I dont think my point of view came across very well in my previous post.

Being an adult I still think the image is kinda funny though. :-b
Metroid

Postby Redskins Win » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:01 pm

Metroid wrote:
josebach wrote:It's another perfect example of some talentless schmuck who because his work lacks any real merit has to rely on shock value to bring attention to himself. This guy is just like that "bong hits 4 Jesus" kid... pathetic. Whether the image has meaning or not is really irrelevent. Displaying something like that in a neighborhood full of children is in no way, shape or form appropriate.

I totally agree jose. ;-D

And I totally agree with the message hes supposedly trying to get across, but the image and message is meant for consumers which for the most part would be adults not children. To subject small children to an image such as this is classless and in poor taste. I dont think my point of view came across very well in my previous post.

Being an adult I still think the image is kinda funny though. :-b

me too. ;-D displaying for children to see :-t
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk