OSU v. UF The Game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

OSU v. UF The Game

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby aldridg6in » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:54 pm

Wow. That was embarrassing. I gotta give credit to Urban Meyer because he outcoached Tressel by a mile in that game. It looked like OSU did nothing during their time off while Florida actually created a game plan.

Congrats to Chris Leak. He went to UF with loads of potential and the hopes of winning championships. He finally got one in his senior season while splitting time with a freshman QB. Not many QBs would have handled it quite as well as Leak. He made his fans in Charlotte, NC very proud.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:12 pm

Congrats to Florida. At least one team wasn't affected negatively because of the super long joke of a layoff. I watched most of Florida's games this year since I live 35 miles away. That was BY FAR the best they looked all season. They got outgained by Vandy, should've lost to SC but somehow blocked 3 kicks to win. Their offense looked shaky all year and they actually improved during the layoff. Plus the fact that noone thought they would win and some people thought they didn't even deserve to be in the game REALLY motivated them during the 5+ week layoff. OSU went the opposite. They looked horrible and the 51 day layoff definitely hurt them. Ginn out obviously hurt but the outcome wouldn't have been much different if he was in there. Florida dominated in every phase of the game. Their kicker even made 2 after going 4 for 13 all year! Great win for Florida. ;-D

And I know I might sound like a broken record, but give me a playoff please. Let's see 8 of the best teams in the country take 1-2 weeks off instead of 4,5 & 7 weeks off. Let's see them play in brackets just like the NFL...USING all the bowl games so you keep all those idiots happy that say you can't mess with the Bowl games. It's just amazing to me how so many people are happy with this joke of a system. 5 & 7 week layoffs for the NC Game (most important game and only 1 that means anything)?!? Playoffs baby. I guarantee more ratings because people like me would actually care about Bowl games that actually mean something.

End Rant. :-°

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby J2thez929 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:48 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:Congrats to Florida. At least one team wasn't affected negatively because of the super long joke of a layoff. I watched most of Florida's games this year since I live 35 miles away. That was BY FAR the best they looked all season. They got outgained by Vandy, should've lost to SC but somehow blocked 3 kicks to win. Their offense looked shaky all year and they actually improved during the layoff. Plus the fact that noone thought they would win and some people thought they didn't even deserve to be in the game REALLY motivated them during the 5+ week layoff. OSU went the opposite. They looked horrible and the 51 day layoff definitely hurt them. Ginn out obviously hurt but the outcome wouldn't have been much different if he was in there. Florida dominated in every phase of the game. Their kicker even made 2 after going 4 for 13 all year! Great win for Florida. ;-D

And I know I might sound like a broken record, but give me a playoff please. Let's see 8 of the best teams in the country take 1-2 weeks off instead of 4,5 & 7 weeks off. Let's see them play in brackets just like the NFL...USING all the bowl games so you keep all those idiots happy that say you can't mess with the Bowl games. It's just amazing to me how so many people are happy with this joke of a system. 5 & 7 week layoffs for the NC Game (most important game and only 1 that means anything)?!? Playoffs baby. I guarantee more ratings because people like me would actually care about Bowl games that actually mean something.

End Rant. :-°

I agree with your rant. I have an avid BCS hater for a while but I'm not gonna open up that can of worms again as it's been beaten worse than Ohio State yesterday!

I'm still in awe as to why no game plan changes were made. I mean i'm not an expert, nor do I claim to be, but I think any average football fan could have made better adjustments during the game then the OSU coaching staff did. They should have blitzed Leak a hell of a lot more, trashed the soft zone coverage that let Florida complete passes with ease, and definately run the ball more as their pass game was horrible! I am still thinking that the Cleveland Browns dressed for that game cuz that is what OSU looked like! :-[ !+) !+) !+)
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:03 am

Thoughts:

1) Obviously, anyone can win one game. Parity rules - just look at the round robin of UF over OSU, OSU over Mich, Mich over Wisconsin, Wisconsin over Arkansas, Arkansas over UF. That's why playoffs are the best system, because you have to win a series of games. Not just one.

2) Lloyd Carr - congradulations! You win the Herm Edwards "worst coaching performance of the young millenium" award. Not only did you fail to have your team ready and prepared, but you failed to make a single adjustment on offense or defense. I saw Florida run the same WR screen/swing pass to #8 AT LEAST a dozen times FROM THE SAME FORMATION AND MOTION, and never did your players recognize it or stop it.

3) Is it just me, or did OSU players look like guys in a preseason game just trying not to get hurt? Afraid of an injury hurting your draft status or something? No heart and no effort. That should hurt their draft status more than anything.

4) Going back to the coaching thing, at some point don't you decide to make Leak throw the ball MORE than 10 yards? How much dinking and dunking do you allow before your safeties step up from 25 yards downfield? Sure, UF has the speed to make the big play, but at least make Leak complete that pass. Obviously the bend don't break thing wasn't working by the end of the first quarter.

5) Giving credit where it is due, UF didn't beat themselves in this game. Everyone knew they had enough talent on offense, but they have always been undisciplined. It is amazing how much easier it is to make first downs when you only have to go 10 yards instead of 15 or 20. That's a bunch of kids that really matured during the time off. I'm guessing they watched a ton of tape and realized how important it was to avoid mistakes.

6) Give me a playoff. I'm seriously thinking of joining the meaningless and ineffective boycott. This would have been an unbelievable playoff year for college football, and instead the fans and any school not named Florida or Ohio State were all screwed over. Good teams winning meaningless bowl games, undefeated teams without the opportunity to play for a title, and absolutely no questions answered about any of the teams or conferences. The rankings are just as inconclusive now as they were in August. Add in 7 weeks off between the "regular season" and the "postseason", and you just have the stupidest thing in sports today. (Well, aside from penalty kicks.)

So, here is waving goodbye to another disappointing end to the college football season. Disappointing, not for lack of excitement or good play, but because of a lack of closure and because so much good football and great drama was left unplayed.

Thanks to all you college football fans for enjoying the season with me. The road was exciting, even if the destination was the equivelant of a roadside motel.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:07 am

dgan wrote:Thoughts:

2) Lloyd Carr - congradulations! You win the Herm Edwards "worst coaching performance of the young millenium" award. Not only did you fail to have your team ready and prepared, but you failed to make a single adjustment on offense or defense. I saw Florida run the same WR screen/swing pass to #8 AT LEAST a dozen times FROM THE SAME FORMATION AND MOTION, and never did your players recognize it or stop it.

What! We have Lloyd Carr now! Nooooooooooooooooooooooo
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:22 am

There were no stats in the stadium so when we heard some of them on the way out to the parking lot it was still kind of shocking.

OSU had 82yds of total offense. Time of possession was 41-19.

We were so weak up the middle especially after Cohen went down as we were out our first four starting DTs, I couldn't believe OSU wasn't trying to just pound the ball on us, which is where I thought they'd kill us heading into the game even before Cohen went down.

I was also shocked they didn't blitz Leak more, as that's been his biggest bane all year. I said after the Michigan game that OSU's zone was really really soft and I couldn't believe they stuck with it in this game. They had the right defense on to stop those crossing routes the LBs just kept standing in their zones flat footed and letting the guys get in-between or underneath.

I have no doubt OSU is a better team than the one we saw Monday night, it was their gameplan on both sides of the ball that surprised me though.

There was some talk on the radio down here that much of UF's close games came due to Urban getting a lead and shutting down the playbook to save some stuff up for the next game. At first I wasn't sure there was much merit to it, but if you look at it every one of those close games outside of the SC game followed the same pattern of UF dominating early, letting the other team back in it, and then getting that one big drive at exactly the time they needed it (presumably re-opening the playbook).

Georgia game was 21-0, gets to 21-14 and UF has a long drive to kill the clock.
FSU game was 14-0, gets to 14-14 and UF has a long drive for the winning score.
Arkansas game was 17-7 and the offense then sputters for a quarter and a half or so including a pick to the house on a play we had already won 2 or 3 times that game.
Even the Auburn game went the same way except that one drive we really needed ended up 3 yards short after the shakey call.

Take it for what it's worth, but the championship game was the first game all year where I've seen us still running new plays with a 2+ score lead.

Just imagine how different all of our perception would be right now if OSU and Michigan had gotten the rematch. We'd all still be thinking they were far and away the most dominant teams in college football, especially with PSU and Wisconsin's big wins.
Last edited by Free Bagel on Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby ShoelessJoe » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:43 am

Free Bagel wrote:There were no stats in the stadium so when we heard some of them on the way out to the parking lot it was still kind of shocking.

That's Bagel's way of bragging that we were there. 8th row seats for the Gator's 2nd ever national title.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:47 am

ShoelessJoe wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:There were no stats in the stadium so when we heard some of them on the way out to the parking lot it was still kind of shocking.

That's Bagel's way of bragging that we were there. 8th row seats for the Gator's 2nd ever national title.

Nice, i wish i could have gone. I bet it was an awesome time.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:27 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:

Nice, i wish i could have gone. I bet it was an awesome time.

Ditto! Color me jealous!
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:49 am

OSU was just overconfident coming into this game - the players and the coaching staff are guilty. Nobody really thinks that Florida is 41-14 better than OSU. But these games on these huge stages can turn into blowouts pretty quickly when one team just isn't into the competition.

One thing I would like to hear more about is why people think the 51-day layoff for OSU was such a big deal. Didn't they have the same layoff when they beat Miami a few years ago? Why didn't it affect them then?

I think WAY too much got made of how "great" the Big Ten was this year, and the coaches and players on Michigan and Ohio State bought into it. Overconfidence breeds complacency and a lack of preparation, and results in this kind of blowout.

Florida fans will remember the Nebraska game in 1995. There's no way Nebraska was really 62-24 better than Florida that year. But Florida and Spurrier came into that game thinking they'd already won it before they took the field, and we all know what happened there.

Florida was just on the other end of that this year.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to College Football