Incredible high school game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Incredible high school game

Moderator: Football Moderators

Incredible high school game

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:19 am

Did anyone else hear about the high school game where a team down 35-14 with like 2 mins to go, scored, got 2 onside kicks and scored again to go to overtime. After each team got a TD in the first OT, the team that cameback went for a 4th and goal from the 1 down 3 pts and got stopped. After that incredible comeback, they ended up losing. Who else heard about this game?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Incredible high school game

Postby CC » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:56 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Did anyone else hear about the high school game where a team down 35-14 with like 2 mins to go, scored, got 2 onside kicks and scored again to go to overtime. After each team got a TD in the first OT, the team that cameback went for a 4th and goal from the 1 down 3 pts and got stopped. After that incredible comeback, they ended up losing. Who else heard about this game?

Lakeland vs. St. Thomas Aquinas in Florida. Lakeland ended up winning. STA went for it and it didn't pay off.

Lakeland is the top HS team in the country, they are sending either 6 to Florida next year, and have a few other highly regarded recruits who have yet to decide.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:19 pm

I was calling the state championship 2A game last weekend and something similar happened. The team that was favored to win was up 28-0 with about six minutes to go in the fourth quarter. The other team had less than 75 yards of total offense in the game, but they broke a long play, recovered an onside kick, scored, recovered again, scored again. They didn't recover the third onside kick, but they got the ball back on a fumble with about 1:30 left and a chance to tie the game. The comeback came up short, but the three TDs they made in under two minutes sure made it interesting.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:21 pm

Wow. What a sweet game? Does anybody have a link to highlights of the game or anything.. that sounds sweet!

On another note, I'm not sure how I feel about ranking high school teams nationally. How do you say whether team A from Florida is better than Team B from California?
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eman » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:04 pm

I saw the highlights on ESPN, what a game!

Also, Lakeland is NOT the #1 team in the nation. (Though obviously high school rankings are very inaccurate) On Maxpreps.com they are ranked 17(http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Nation ... Fall_06-07), the tonybianco poll (http://www.tonybianco.com/high_school_football.htm) has them at 2, and 4 at USA Today's poll. (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/fo ... uper25.htm) I'd say the consensus top teams would be Warren Central and Curtis.
Though again, HS rankings are the most insignificant misleading rankings of all. They make the BCS look perfect in comparison.[/quote]
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Metroid » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:07 pm

eman wrote:I saw the highlights on ESPN, what a game!

Also, Lakeland is NOT the #1 team in the nation. (Though obviously high school rankings are very inaccurate) On Maxpreps.com they are ranked 17(http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Nation ... Fall_06-07), the tonybianco poll (http://www.tonybianco.com/high_school_football.htm) has them at 2, and 4 at USA Today's poll. (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/fo ... uper25.htm) I'd say the consensus top teams would be Warren Central and Curtis.
Though again, HS rankings are the most insignificant misleading rankings of all. They make the BCS look perfect in comparison.
[/quote]

Yeah how can you rank a bazillion high schools? :-?

Sounds like it would have been a great game to be at. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby mrblitz » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:33 pm

I saw it on ESPN. Looked like one of the more exciting football games in awhile, on any level.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:18 pm

Speaking of high school rankings, im not sure if they are even ranked, but does anyone know where ted ginn sr.'s team that he coahces falls in?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:47 pm

Lakeland? Is that the high school football team who had a reality show on MTV? :-?
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:13 am

I watched every second of it on TV here, very exciting. I am very happy that a lot of those guys will be attending UF next year. The big stiry before the game was that Lakeland's stud RB would not be playing b/c he admitted to taking a lot of gifts, money, and other things for his autgraph. When he was suspended from the game he got a lawyer who argued the kid was just joking in the taped interview to the paper and if they didn't ket him play they were going to sue. He ended up playing, the kid is awesome, very fast. Lakeland is considered the top HS football team in the country by a lot of the ranking sites, two years ago they had a 65 game winning streak snapped, this HS just pumps these guys out
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk