XBox 360, Do they work? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

XBox 360, Do they work?

Moderator: Football Moderators

XBox 360, Do they work?

Postby sox 06 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:13 am

Microsoft had all kinds of freezing/overheating problems when the 360's first came out. Anyone who has one recently or knows someone who has one, have these problems been fixed? I'm thinking of asking for one for Christmas but I don't want to pay $600+ (games,warrenties,etc) for something that's just going to break.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:11 pm

Mine acted up when I first got it but now it seems fine, weird.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=237916
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sandrock » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:53 am

Mine is fine, but then again I haven't touched it since I got the Wii.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:52 am

Have either of you guys bought yours recently?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:08 pm

Mine froze on me a couple times the first month or so I had it, has been pretty much fine since then, locked up maybe one other time.

I have never had a console actually fail on me, nor have I ever known anyone who has.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby sox 06 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:56 pm

I also read on the internet that Microsoft is redesigning the chip inside of the console to make it run faster and cooler. Hopefully this will happen soon, it said sometime in '07.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby eagles21 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:23 pm

I got one for my birthday about a month ago. The first game I put in froze everytime I played it. The 360 actually broke the game and can't be played anymore. The issue was overheating, so I returned it and got a new one.

It was a pain since I had to call customer service which took about an hour, all for them to tell me to take it back in exchange for a new one.
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby slacker317 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:20 pm

I'm interested in this also. My original first generation XBox fried(literally, as in smoke was coming out of the thing and I can't even get the game out of the disk drive) on me last night after buying a new game after owning one for 5 years (I've had this one for 3 years, actually. I had to replace the original one, but it was covered by the replacement plan that I bought when I purchased the first one).

Now, I'm stuck with 12-15 Xbox games that I can't play and you can't buy a new first generation XBox any longer. Just refurbished, used or XBox 360s. I'd rather just upgrade to the 360, but it's not yet compatible with all my games (according to the list on the official site, about 1/3 of my games are compatible and NONE of my sports games, :-# ) I don't care to drop $100 on a used/refurb that I won't know will last a month or 3 years because it won't carry a warranty at all.

But since this is the 2nd XBox that I'm having to replace, should I worry about moving to a 360? I've been a huge XBox supporter, but this has me worried. I still have my original NES, even my original Atari 2600 FFS, and they still work like a champ (sure, the Atari joystick sucks now and you have to blow into the NES cartridges until you turn blue, but the consoles work great!). No problems with my SNES, Genesis, or N64 either. Not one problem out of a game console until Microsoft's XBox, which coincidentally is the first console I've owned that uses DVD. (Notice I've never owned a PSX or PS2)

Are the old days of well-made electronics a thing of the past? Am I going to have to worry about replacing my XBox 360, PS3, Wii (which ever I choose to replace with) every few years due to problems? I'm just a bit concerned, with a baby due in 2 months and my stress reliever is now (again, literally) fried!

Sorry, I had to share my pain. :~(

- Slacker
slacker317
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:40 pm

i hear people on xbox live all the time talking about how many x-box's they have went through due to them breaking down. luckily, i have never had any problems (*knocks on wood). i think laying it down flat help keeps it cooler than standing it up since you are essentially blocking off half the air flow that way. ive given mine plenty of space to breathe.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:58 am

deluxe_247 wrote:i hear people on xbox live all the time talking about how many x-box's they have went through due to them breaking down. luckily, i have never had any problems (*knocks on wood). i think laying it down flat help keeps it cooler than standing it up since you are essentially blocking off half the air flow that way. ive given mine plenty of space to breathe.

thats good advice I actually pull mine off the shelf it lives on and put it alone in the middle of the carpet when I play it.

Ive had it about four months sox 06. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Next

Return to Video Games