I'm sick of people ranking on others - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I'm sick of people ranking on others

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:44 pm

should be in venting forum, but just chill out man, its really not a big deal

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:49 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:all you people telling him it's the wrong forum. you just want the little eye ball icon, i know it.

your name is jason seahorn. case closed.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:02 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:all you people telling him it's the wrong forum. you just want the little eye ball icon, i know it.

You don't get the eyeball icon for that.....you get it for pointing out errors in things like articles and such.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Crystalstorm » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:03 pm

I'll tell you what.My vocab,spelling and Grammar isn't the best.But I try.There are alot of people that are illiterite(spelling)
But I probably know more about Football than 99% of you,peoples vocab and grammar shouldn't give anyone the right to try and rank on or correct others with their writing skills !!!!,I think it's rude and ignorent(spelling).

I've been doing construction for over 35 years, and my job requiers NO reading or writing.After Graduating 35 years ago,am I supposed to remeber everything I learned back in the day,when I never use all that crap I learned in High School on a daily basis.
My point is,their are alot of people that have learning disabilities or never got the chance at an education that most of us have,and it's NOT their fault.

This is the right forum.I HATE RUDE PEOPLE !!!!! I've been there,done that and have seen it ALL,Also a former"quote" Hells An#$%,that LOVES Football !!!!!!

I've seen alot of underprevledged(spelling) people take crap from loser like some of ya, that don't know any better !!!!!!! And they are the ones that pay for it.So lighten-up,and be respectful to ALL.
Crystalstorm
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Matthias » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:11 pm

True, but at 33 I probably know half of what I did at 18. Partially it's age and partially it's a laziness, relying on word processors to catch my spelling errors. But I can still tell when a word looks wrong. And rather than embarrass myself, I go to google or dictionary.com and check it out. And so I get it right, and I learn (or relearn) (or re-re-re-re-re-re-learn) how to spell it. Knowledge is out there. It's accessible. Especially if you're posting something on the internet. I always say I'm stupid and ignorant. I can't do anything about the first one, but I can do something about the second.

And really, spelling is one thing. There's also usage. I remember one guy here used the word, "there" four times in a paragraph when me meant alternatively, "there", "their" and "they're." There are some times here where people are being snarky and do it, but for the most part, I think it's just a good-faith, "Hey, you might want to know..." Because eventually you're going to have to write something to somebody who means more to you than some random guys who you don't know. And you might want to do it correctly.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:24 pm

"ranking people". never heard of that before. that means judging people?
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:54 pm

Crystalstorm wrote:I'll tell you what.My vocab,spelling and Grammar isn't the best.But I try.There are alot of people that are illiterite(spelling)
But I probably know more about Football than 99% of you,peoples vocab and grammar shouldn't give anyone the right to try and rank on or correct others with their writing skills !!!!,I think it's rude and ignorent(spelling).

I've been doing construction for over 35 years, and my job requiers NO reading or writing.After Graduating 35 years ago,am I supposed to remeber everything I learned back in the day,when I never use all that crap I learned in High School on a daily basis.
My point is,their are alot of people that have learning disabilities or never got the chance at an education that most of us have,and it's NOT their fault.

This is the right forum.I HATE RUDE PEOPLE !!!!! I've been there,done that and have seen it ALL,Also a former"quote" Hells An#$%,that LOVES Football !!!!!!

I've seen alot of underprevledged(spelling) people take crap from loser like some of ya, that don't know any better !!!!!!! And they are the ones that pay for it.So lighten-up,and be respectful to ALL.

It's good that you're humble about that too....because if you were being arrogant or prideful, that might be rude to the others reading your post and we know you wouldn't do that since you are speaking out against it here.

It is just common courtesy to make an effort when attempting to communicate with people. With something as easy to correct and look up as spelling errors, one would think that the respectful and courteous thing to do would be to look up the word in question to make sure people know what you're talking about. I would almost guarantee that most of the misspelling on a consistent basis is due to laziness. If you can't put forth a little effort to type your questions and such correctly, why should others take the time to put time and effort into their answers?
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby benb18a » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:03 pm

Wow I can't believe somebody made a post about this. For the most part, I am impressed with the spelling and grammar on this forum, compared to some of the other sites I frequent. I've seen quotes in people's signatures that make me bust out laughing, because they look like they were posts that were typed by an eight year old. Then there are the spelling/grammar nazis, in which I am guilty of the former, but I won't mention a single error, just posts with several of them. The fact is, people come to these forums to seek help, or to help out intelligent people; we don't want to see laziness or illiteracy in posts.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mrblitz » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:18 pm

I personally don't care about people including myself misspelling words or typo's . I think most of the people pointing it out don't mean any malice about it.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:55 pm

it doesnt bother me when people dont spell everything right. i look more at the content of what someone is trying to say rather than if they used an apostrophy and what not. as for me, outside of the writeup for the blackjack game, i rarely ever use capitol letters (except on LOL :-b ).... and if people think less of me because of it, i wont lose any sleep.

i do agree with the people that said if a person types in total street slang....its hard to take seriously though. yo.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk