I'm sick of people ranking on others - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

I'm sick of people ranking on others

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: I'm sick of people ranking on others

Postby philipness929 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:58 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Crystalstorm wrote:Isn't this site supposed to be about FOOTBALL !!!!!!!!
I'm can't stand when someone posts something,and the guy that made the posts spells a name wrong or he makes a typo and people are always out to RANK(Correct the person who didn't spell something CURECT.)

I see it ALL the time.If I Post something like "Eddggarin James will have a BIG game Today!!!!!"There will always be some ASS that will reply,You can't even spell his name right,it's Edgerrin not Eddddddddgggggarin,so I dought you know squat,learn how to spell.

This is about football,not correcting others spelling errors,or typo's.Keep it to yourself if your so smart,and just be proud that you can spell HOUSHMANDZADEH.Their is Absolutely no need to rank on others.People are here for football info,it's not a spelling contest.When Someone says TOM BRADDIE,you know what they mean.Reply with football info and NOT SPELLING INFO!!!
I'm sure someone will try and correct my GRAMMMARR !!!!!

doubt not dought
you're not your
there not their

It's just hard to take someone seriously who doesn't speak proper English, especially someone who gets so enraged about not being able to. And this is the wrong forum!

I not I'm ;-D
philipness929
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:46 pm

Matthias wrote:True, but at 33 I probably know half of what I did at 18. Partially it's age and partially it's a laziness, relying on word processors to catch my spelling errors. But I can still tell when a word looks wrong. And rather than embarrass myself, I go to google or dictionary.com and check it out. And so I get it right, and I learn (or relearn) (or re-re-re-re-re-re-learn) how to spell it. Knowledge is out there. It's accessible. Especially if you're posting something on the internet. I always say I'm stupid and ignorant. I can't do anything about the first one, but I can do something about the second.

And really, spelling is one thing. There's also usage. I remember one guy here used the word, "there" four times in a paragraph when me meant alternatively, "there", "their" and "they're." There are some times here where people are being snarky and do it, but for the most part, I think it's just a good-faith, "Hey, you might want to know..." Because eventually you're going to have to write something to somebody who means more to you than some random guys who you don't know. And you might want to do it correctly.

Excellent points - as my Dad used to always tell me - just because you've finished school doesn't mean you've finished learning - the quest for knowledge and self improvement should be a lifelong quest. It's been 32 years since I finished school but I still remember how to spell and construct a sentence and if I'm unsure, like you, I look it up! ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby theimitator » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:14 pm

I had an English teacher who once said (well, more than once...):

does the reader know if you mean "school" when you write "s-k-o-o-l"? Yes, they do. But the second it takes him or her to think, "oh, yeah, they meant 'school'. I know that, but they spelled it wrong. That's funny" is a distraction from the message that you send. Any distraction diffuses the power of your argument.

That is why it's important to write and spell properly. If you want to communicate effectively, about football or physics, the same rules apply.
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dgan » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:33 pm

I hate it when people DON'T correct me. There are a lot of younger people on this site as well who may benefit from some fantasy football moron correcting them instead of their boss or an HR person responding to their resume. Perhaps if people took the time to correct you when you made errors, you would not have the problems you do now.

Please don't take this as being rude, but at your age I think you should be able to take criticism a little better. Being in construction, it is important for you to be able to do a bit of arithmetic, I imagine. If you messed it up, you would want someone to correct you so that you didn't continue building crooked buildings. These days, many of us have a similar reliance on good grammar and spelling in our jobs and would like to be corrected somewhere as insignificant as this forum rather than someplace where it really matters.

In short, lighten up! ;-D
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Twisted Sister » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:38 pm

Please correct me... but don't negate my arguments (that's actually a fallacy of logical debate for all you college kids out there).

Also, please tell me if I have spinach in my teeth. ;-D

Thanks.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Wrong Forum!

Postby WebHamster » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:48 am

Yawn.
WebHamster
Service Robot