A Rant - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

A Rant

Moderator: Football Moderators

A Rant

Postby BadgerBengal » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:48 am

Does anyone else notice how bad some of the players in some leagues must be. I dont know how many times I've read things like this:
I had Mcnabb and Brady and I am 7-0 but just grabbed Romo off the WW to fill in now that Mcnabb is done, or I have the most points in my league and I am in first place got LT and SA and SA getting hurt is going to kill me but luckily I just grabbed Gore off the WW.
I'm not saying these types of things arent true but just that how bad are some leagues that top teams can get such players off the WW. I was in first in a 10 team league until Mcnabb went down and every week I have to pick up some scrub with a decent matchup just to get a few points from the QB position. I have LJ and FWP but when I scan the WW there isnt anyone at the RB position worth having left to pick up. In every league I am in QBs and RBs are not anywhere to be found on the WW.
I am just ranting because I just dont know how some players can always seem to get the perfect player off the WW at the exact time its needed.

END OF RANT.
Thanks to WickedSmaat for the Grrreat sig
BadgerBengal
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:17 am

It is like the kid who sets his Madden game to Novice so that he can see how many points he can put up with Vick against the Texans. Some people purposely play in bad leagues so they can brag about how good their team is.

Then others probably don't actually realize how bad their league really is. They've probably never played real competitive fantasy football and just think they're a freakin' genius.

Then there is the rest of us. In my league, I just picked up the best RB available - Kenny Watson. :-o Best QB available right now I would have to say is Kerry Collins. Granted, our league is pretty deep, but still...

So I feel your pain!
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby nameless1 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:03 pm

When Portis went down for me in my 12-team league. The best rb on the WW was Wali Lundy (luckiliy, i had picked up betts after week 2 and drafted DeAngelo Williams for his potential), and since warner was benched early this year this year, i'm starting a rotation of David Carr, Jason Cambell, and Jeff Garcia at qb. My wide recievers were, if i do say so may self, genius draft calls: I figured DJAX would get a good share of the TD's that SA hogged last year, and that Andre Johnson had a potential and would get most of the production in Houston's offense. My K and defense have changed every week. The only sure-breakout WW player that I was lucky enough to get was TE Ben Watson, but this was before the season started. With a win today, I make the playoffs and get the satisfaction of knowing I earned it in a competitive league.
nameless1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Mr.Joshua » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:09 pm

People have to start playing fantasy at sometime. They will learn as they go and get better each year which will make their league more competetive. That said, the person that is experienced but plays with rooks to pad his ego and win some $$...now thats week.
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 226)

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:54 pm

dgan wrote:It is like the kid who sets his Madden game to Novice so that he can see how many points he can put up with Vick against the Texans. Some people purposely play in bad leagues so they can brag about how good their team is.

Then others probably don't actually realize how bad their league really is. They've probably never played real competitive fantasy football and just think they're a freakin' genius.

Then there is the rest of us. In my league, I just picked up the best RB available - Kenny Watson. :-o Best QB available right now I would have to say is Kerry Collins. Granted, our league is pretty deep, but still...

So I feel your pain!

I used to be the kid that put Madden to rookie level and tried to score 100 points. Except I did it with the Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre in Madden 64 :-b

I never did accomplish that.
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Munboy » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:45 pm

How do you know they're bad players. Maybe they're just on a 4-man league with only one QB slot.... :-b
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: A Rant

Postby The Lung » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:22 pm

BadgerBengal wrote:Does anyone else notice how bad some of the players in some leagues must be. I dont know how many times I've read things like this:
I had Mcnabb and Brady and I am 7-0 but just grabbed Romo off the WW to fill in now that Mcnabb is done, or I have the most points in my league and I am in first place got LT and SA and SA getting hurt is going to kill me but luckily I just grabbed Gore off the WW.
I'm not saying these types of things arent true but just that how bad are some leagues that top teams can get such players off the WW. I was in first in a 10 team league until Mcnabb went down and every week I have to pick up some scrub with a decent matchup just to get a few points from the QB position. I have LJ and FWP but when I scan the WW there isnt anyone at the RB position worth having left to pick up. In every league I am in QBs and RBs are not anywhere to be found on the WW.
I am just ranting because I just dont know how some players can always seem to get the perfect player off the WW at the exact time its needed.

END OF RANT.

It's because there a TON of people, most of whom are new to fantasy football, that play in 8-man or fewer leagues, or public leagues with a large percentage of owners who are ghost ships.

I like to think that most of us around here realize that there's little fun in "shooting fish in a barrel," and restrict our particpation to leagues made of Cafe members and / or knowledgeable, dedicated owners. It makes your success all the more satisfying, and your failures easier to rationalize.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby lmcjaho » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:51 am

sportsaddict wrote:I used to be the kid that put Madden to rookie level and tried to score 100 points. Except I did it with the Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre in Madden 64 :-b

I never did accomplish that.

If you were playing 15-minute quarters you should sell all your video-game systems and never touch a controller again if you couldn't put up 100 with Favre and the Packers in Madden 64. We used to play 2-minute quarters and still put up ~21 or 28 pts a game - without setting it to Novice!
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby MadDog36 » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:45 am

I played with I can't remember on madden 64 scored 50 pts against someone on hard level yes I am not lying. I had an expert madden player in my old friend (he's not with us anymore) teach me everything he knows.
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 132)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jmog » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:17 pm

In my 10 team real person(we all know each other), keeper league that has been playing together for over 10 years, we get only 1 free WW/FA move for the entire season. Ever move after that costs you $.

$2 for the 1st, $4 for the 2nd, $6 for the 3rd, etc.

Every move that involves an IR'd player is free, even if you have used your free move already.

I drafted fairly good enough to not have to use the WW at all this year. We also draft real deep, 20+ rounds, 3 QBs (start 1), 2 Ks, 2 DSTs, 5 RBs (start 2), 5+ WRs, 2+ TEs, and so on.

Our WW/FA picks each week go in reverse order of total points scored, and I was in the top 3 in that category all year (bouncing around between 2nd and 3rd).

It got to the point that each week when something halfway decent came up that was worth picking up, someone that got to pick before me took it. I ended up having to use my free FA/WW move in our last possible week to use it (we coincide our trade deadline with a FF/WW deadline). Week 11 (week after byes are done) all trades and FF/WW moves are cut off (you can still use a FF/WW move if someone goes on IR to replace them).

I had to swap out one of my DSTs (CIN) to pick up SEA just to have some better matchups down the road. Every other week someone else that picked ahead me got whoever I was going after.

Now, in our league, the McNabb owner did get Romo, but thats only because McNabb went down and Romo started playing after our trade/WW deadline had passed. So, he basically got to pick up whoever he wanted.
jmog
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 25)

Next

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting