Is this guy dumping? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is this guy dumping?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is this guy dumping?

Postby Lucky7 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:17 am

Team #2 is starting Benson over both McGahee (@Jets) and TJones and he's starting Reche Caldwell(@Mia) over both Roy Williams (v. Minn) and J.Walker (@ SD). Does this seem like a dump?

Final week before playoffs and the #2 team is playing a team that will likely take the #4 spot. The potential #4 team has been racking up points lately and looks very solid. If the #2 team loses to the 4 team this week, then that means I (the #1 team) play the 4 team in the 1st round. I think the #2 team would far prefer to play the #3 team in the 1st round. If the #2 team beats the 4 team and I lose, then #2 moves up to #1 and might have to play the #4 team again next week. Finally, the teams' standings this week dictate the redraft order next year, so finishing 2d gives you the 9th pick, whereas finishing first gives you the 10th pick. All of this to say that I could see why the #2 team would want to dump this game.

I'm the commish. He's not obviously dumping because he's still starting Brees, LT and Gates. I'm not sure his starting lineup is sufficient, by itself, for me to do anything about, but it sure looks suspicious to me.
Lucky7
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jetlag » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:50 am

those look like legit moves to me, benson and jones should be sharing carries, mcgahee could be hurt and the wr position is always a bit of luck. don't worry about it.
jetlag
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yellowbird » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:51 am

Coming from a guy who isn't dumping, but taking some bigger gambles with the #1 spot locked up this week....maybe.

After Williams and Walkers point totals last week Caldwell sure seem like a solid option. Walker's gotta deal with Cutler and Roy is boom or bust week to week.

The Benson play makes my spidey-sense go off. McGahee's coming off an injury and maybe he likes Benson's upside over Jones, but that's a bit of a stretch.

Thanks to madaslives911 for the Sig.
Yellowbird
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Steve_L » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:15 am

Doesn't look like hes dumping all that much to me but IMO if he is, smart move on his part. It's a smart play by him and not too much you can do about it if he is.
Steve_L
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Jack » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:33 am

Is this guy dumping?

Steve_L wrote:Doesn't look like hes dumping all that much to me but IMO if he is, smart move on his part. It's a smart play by him and not too much you can do about it if he is.
Last edited by Jack on Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks to madaslives911 for this graphic from his site...
MOVE THOSE CHAINS, MOVE THOSE CHAINS, MOVE!
Jack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby 011472 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:39 am

LOL! Good work, Jack.
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby benb18a » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:00 pm

I've thought about doing this. It seems like a logical decision to me; pick the slightly lesser of two options, to give your team a little bit larger chance of losing, so you can get a better seed, and nobody will be able to say anything. As long as the guy isn't playing Artose Pinner and Jerry Porter, I woulnd't worry about it as he is still fielding a strong team.
Last edited by benb18a on Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Yellowbird » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:07 pm

benb18a wrote:I've thought about doing this. It seems like a logical decision to me; pick the slightly lesser of two options, to give your chance a little bit smaller chance of losing, so you can get a better seed, and nobody will be able to say anything. As long as the guy isn't playing Artose Pinner and Jerry Porter, I woulnd't worry about it as he is still fielding a strong team.

Tell that to these guys!

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=313461

Thanks to madaslives911 for the Sig.
Yellowbird
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby benb18a » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:38 pm

I retract my statement about Artose Pinner O:-)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Postby benb18a » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:43 pm

I'm not saying that benching the absolute best player in the league to get a better seed is right, I said that making a choice between two players that are 1 tier different, and starting the one that you believe will score less points would be acceptable. Nobody would be able to cry foul if you can justify starting a slightly lesser player. Benching LT is 100% obvious as to what your intention is.

2011:

benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk