That's OK Dear, it only cost $1,000 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

That's OK Dear, it only cost $1,000

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:26 pm

Tiki wrote:
knapplc wrote:
The Lung wrote:You only spent $1,000 on her wedding ring? What a cheapskate!

;-) :-D


I was 21 and making $4.35 an hour. It took me forever to pay the thing off!
Ouch that's prolly less than most illegals! :-o


Knapp was 21. That was way back in the day. Horse-drawn carriages and the like...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby Tiki » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:28 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Tiki wrote:
knapplc wrote:
The Lung wrote:You only spent $1,000 on her wedding ring? What a cheapskate!

;-) :-D


I was 21 and making $4.35 an hour. It took me forever to pay the thing off!
Ouch that's prolly less than most illegals! :-o


Knapp was 21. That was way back in the day. Horse-drawn carriages and the like...
Ohhh yeah...Sometimes my mind runs! :-b
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7020
Joined: 25 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: '08 DOM-35.

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:26 pm

knapplc wrote:And just so we're clear - the One Grand I dropped on the thing covered both bands, not just the wedding band. Like I said - I was poor. At that point in my life that was the most expensive thing I had ever purchased.


$350 or so for both for me... And my own wedding band was my old man's originally. He stopped wearing it years ago because it didn't fit and my Mom gave it to me instead - when I got hitched I had it resized (didn't fit me either) but I lost it (and my HS grad ring and a bracelet my wife gave me for our 3rd anniversary when we were dating) one day when I took it off to play golf...

The wife bought me a new one for my B-day two years ago with the ominous warning:

"If you lose this one we will be returning to the Jeweller on YOUR dime and I will get to pick out whatever I want!"

I keep it on a necklace (I hate wearing rings and I would always be taking it off to play golf, pool, bowling or a multitude of other activities) around my neck so that does not happen :-o
Image
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3441
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Montreal

Postby Tiki » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:30 pm

lmcjaho wrote:I keep it on a necklace (I hate wearing rings and I would always be taking it off to play golf, pool, bowling or a multitude of other activities)
I think it's that and the booze that one consumes during those activities! :-b
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7020
Joined: 25 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: '08 DOM-35.

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:14 am

lmcjaho wrote:I keep it on a necklace (I hate wearing rings and I would always be taking it off to play golf, pool, bowling or a multitude of other activities) around my neck so that does not happen :-o


I used to take mine off when I play softball since it was fairly uncomfortable in the glove. But I got used to it. Right now I need to get it resized....
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:34 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
lmcjaho wrote:I keep it on a necklace (I hate wearing rings and I would always be taking it off to play golf, pool, bowling or a multitude of other activities) around my neck so that does not happen :-o


I used to take mine off when I play softball since it was fairly uncomfortable in the glove. But I got used to it. Right now I need to get it resized....


I have my wedding band off more times than I have it on. As I sit here at my desk at work it's next to my keyboard because I hate wearing it when I'm typing. At home it sits in my accoutrements dish with my watch, phone and wallet. I pretty much only wear it when I'm up walking around doing things like shopping or dinner or parties or church. I really don't like wearing it, and to reiterate my earlier post, I think jewelry is a crock anyway. If it wasn't that we're slaves to tradition my wife and I wouldn't wear any jewelry.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby Metroid » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:14 pm

knapplc wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
lmcjaho wrote:I keep it on a necklace (I hate wearing rings and I would always be taking it off to play golf, pool, bowling or a multitude of other activities) around my neck so that does not happen :-o


I used to take mine off when I play softball since it was fairly uncomfortable in the glove. But I got used to it. Right now I need to get it resized....


I have my wedding band off more times than I have it on. As I sit here at my desk at work it's next to my keyboard because I hate wearing it when I'm typing. At home it sits in my accoutrements dish with my watch, phone and wallet. I pretty much only wear it when I'm up walking around doing things like shopping or dinner or parties or church. I really don't like wearing it, and to reiterate my earlier post, I think jewelry is a crock anyway. If it wasn't that we're slaves to tradition my wife and I wouldn't wear any jewelry.


I guess thats where we differ knapp. Me and my girl like shinny things, we just dont think they're worth spending a fortune for. :-?
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:18 pm

Metroid wrote: I guess thats where we differ knapp. Me and my girl like shinny things, we just dont think they're worth spending a fortune for. :-?


Liking shiny things isn't a big deal. It's the cost of the shiny things that gets me. Diamonds are NOT rare. Gold is NOT rare. So why do they cost so much? Diamonds cost what they cost because better than 50% of the world's supply is controlled by the DeBeers family, so they manipulate the market. Gold is shiny and pretty when it's polished, so people buy it.

But to me, aluminum, steel, glass - just about anything can be shined up to sparkle. Why in the world should metal A be more valuable than metal B? It's more of a perception than an actual worth.

I'm not explaining myself really well, but the bottom line is I do NOT have gold lust, and I never will. I see the value in this stuff only because the majority of the world also does, but to me it's no different than if the whole world suddenly decided that granite was a precious substance. It's just a rock. Who cares?
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Postby Metroid » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:28 pm

knapplc wrote:
Metroid wrote: I guess thats where we differ knapp. Me and my girl like shinny things, we just dont think they're worth spending a fortune for. :-?


Liking shiny things isn't a big deal. It's the cost of the shiny things that gets me. Diamonds are NOT rare. Gold is NOT rare. So why do they cost so much? Diamonds cost what they cost because better than 50% of the world's supply is controlled by the DeBeers family, so they manipulate the market. Gold is shiny and pretty when it's polished, so people buy it.

But to me, aluminum, steel, glass - just about anything can be shined up to sparkle. Why in the world should metal A be more valuable than metal B? It's more of a perception than an actual worth.

I'm not explaining myself really well, but the bottom line is I do NOT have gold lust, and I never will. I see the value in this stuff only because the majority of the world also does, but to me it's no different than if the whole world suddenly decided that granite was a precious substance. It's just a rock. Who cares?


No you explained yourself perfectly. Rather than spend a buttload of money on some really shinny junk to put on our fingers, Id rather take my girl and a killer honeymoon. Awesome memories are worth much more and cannot be weighed in gold. ;-D
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 12:02 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact