Kickoff and punt return td debate... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Kickoff and punt return td debate...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kickoff and punt return td debate...

Postby s75h » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:45 pm

I don't agree that td's should count for def teams, especially for td's on kick off returns. That seems more offensive with the blocking. There's no kind of def play going on for the kick off return team.

What's everyone else's thoughts on this.

The bears' return td's tonight will be the difference in one team beating the other out for the last playoff spot in our league.
s75h
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Kickoff and punt return td debate...

Postby Matthias » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:59 pm

s75h wrote:The bears' return td's tonight will be the difference in one team beating the other out for the last playoff spot in our league.

Tough bunnies.

And normally, it's called Defense/Special Teams on the roster. Sometimes they're split where you draft them separately. But in your league apparently they're together and nothing to do about it now.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:00 am

I've never thought that special teams should be included in team defense. They really have absolutely nothing to do with each other. I think the yardage and TDs should go to the individual player (when offensive unless your league uses IDPs) and the kicking goes to the kicker which covers all of the special teams. You don't need to add it into defense because many times they are counterproductive. A poor defense will be scored on plenty thus getting more opportunities for kick returns and possible points.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:54 am

mattb47 wrote:A poor defense will be scored on plenty thus getting more opportunities for kick returns and possible points.

Exactly!

However, in the case at hand (as Matthias said) too late for this year. See if you can change it for next year.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby justinj312 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:04 am

what sucked for me this year was the NYG vs Chi Monday night game. ..

NYG attempted a field goal that went short, Chi caught the ball and ran it back for a TD. That was scored a defensive TD. I thought a FG was a special teams play (like a punt or kickoff), and should not have been counted as a defensive td.
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby eman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:25 am

Yep, my league uses only defense, no special teams, and while I agree with this it's been killing me since I have the Bears D. :-t
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby s75h » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:08 am

Our league uses yahoo. Does that site allow the Td's to still count for the player alone and not for the entire def?
s75h
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:06 pm

I've always thought that the punt and FG returns should be given to the D, because on an punt or FG return, they are technically offensive plays and almost all teams play most or all defensive guys on those plays (with the possible exception of the returner)

Now personally, I'd love to see a league where you get a "kickoff/kickoff return team" unit where you get points/lose points based on # of return yards, fumbles, TD, etc. gained/given up by the return/coverage unit. Maybe you could even make it two starting spots (a kickoff coverage team and then a kickoff return team).
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

I've always thought that the punt and FG returns should be given to the D, because on an punt or FG return, they are technically offensive plays and almost all teams play most or all defensive guys on those plays (with the possible exception of the returner)

Now personally, I'd love to see a league where you get a "kickoff/kickoff return team" unit where you get points/lose points based on # of return yards, fumbles, TD, etc. gained/given up by the return/coverage unit. Maybe you could even make it two starting spots (a kickoff coverage team and then a kickoff return team).
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk