Fantasy rulz must change because of the new Th. night sched. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fantasy rulz must change because of the new Th. night sched.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fantasy rulz must change because of the new Th. night sched.

Postby Bo_Sox » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:47 am

I got completely hosed last week in the first round of my playoffs because of that stupid a$$ Thursday night game!

I was unable to check my Fantasy Team all week because I was away on work and I get home Friday to check my team and notice that Wilkins is playing the Bears on Mon night. So, naturally I think.....hmmmm, he won't get to many chances too score so I will go pick up a kicker.

Scobee is the first name that jumped out at me. So i go and try to pick Scobee and up....and low and behold, CAN'T PICK UP ANYONE ELSE UNTIL WAIVERS CLEAR NEXT WEDS!!!

WTF!!

Needless to say I end up losing by 11 points in the first round of the playoffs. I would have won by 2 points if I had SCOBEE!!!!!!!

FRIGGIN' THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL!
Bo_Sox
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby deacon » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:53 am

So who is really at fault here?

The NFL for scheduling a Thursday game?

Your league for using that type of waiver rule (which I assume has been in place all year)?

You for not checking your roster before Friday (regardless of whether you had good reason)?

Hmmmmm.....
Bacon is the greatest meat of all!
deacon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dream_017 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:00 am

deacon wrote:So who is really at fault here?

The NFL for scheduling a Thursday game?

Your league for using that type of waiver rule (which I assume has been in place all year)?

You for not checking your roster before Friday (regardless of whether you had good reason)?

Hmmmmm.....

Couldn't agree more ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:03 am

I think it's Jeff Wilkins' fault.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:35 am

I completely agree with all of the prior replies.

However, I do think that many leagues may need to address some deadline issues for next season since there are now so many Thursday games. We always had the Thanksgiving games to deal with, but many people dealt with their lineups and rosters by Wednesday anyway because of holiday travel.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby theimitator » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:51 am

I blame the NFL.

Their shameless attempts at gaining more revenues is harming the integrity of book-making and fantasy football.

It all started with parity; what a slippery slope, indeed!

:-D
14 Team w/FLX .5PPR
The Porkchop Express
QB: Carson Palmer, Vince Young
RB: Maurice Jones-Drew, Matt Forte, Reggie Bush, Tim Hightower
WR: Greg Jennings, Anquan Boldin, Terrell Owens, Jabar Gaffney
TE: John Carlson, Ben Watson
PK: R Gould
TD: NO, TB
theimitator
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:44 am

hmmm...

its not that hard to look at it before you leave.

Baseball and basketball fantasy players do it all the time. It's not hard, and you should probably check your team on wednesday as a good habit.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Munboy » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:00 pm

I think the NFL should contact FF players before making decisions like that. :-t

:-b

Seriously dude, you won't get much empathy here. You're in charge of your FF team and you should realize there are games on thursday and those games will impact your team. Just do what I do. I set my team a week in advance that way I know what's going on with my team that week. Then on wed, I recheck my team to make sure there isn't any minor adjustments needed and if I can't check my team, at least I have a lineup already set.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby smackthefirst » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:29 pm

My first rule of FF. I always set my lineup for the next week Tuesday morning. If I get hit by a bus during the week, I don't want my team to suffer. ;-D

Seriously though, everyone has known about the Thursday night games and you should have made some sort of arrangement to take care of this situation before hand. tough break is all I can say.

However, semi-aside question, how are leagues dealing with the Thursday night games? I know the lineup setting portion can't be changed, but what about WW moves?

I currently run the WW so they are locked once the first games of the week are played. The reason is I don't like to have teams rewarded (myself included) for sitting at a ocmputer all Sunday waiting for the big injury to occur. Then a WW runs Tuesday into Wednesday morning. Wednesday morning at 9, the WW becomes first come first served until the next week's games start.

This has worked great in all the years I have played, but with the Thursday night games, the WW is locked from Thursday night to Wednesday morning and there's only one first come first served day.

I was thinking of possible opening up the WW next year on Friday at 9 am until the next games start to allow teams to pick up players (except ones who played Thursday night). However, I'm not sure about the coding of this idea yet and really not sure if it would be beneficial or cause problems that I may not be seeing right now. Thoughts?
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Battlecreek Dragon » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:48 pm

smackthefirst wrote:However, semi-aside question, how are leagues dealing with the Thursday night games? I know the lineup setting portion can't be changed, but what about WW moves?

We run a claims/waiver system that locks at noon on Sunday and runs through Wenesday at noon. Every player dropped goes on waivers for 24 hours. All players not on a roster and not on waivers are unrestricted free agents from noon on Wednesday until noon on Sunday. The only change we made for the Thursday games was that we moved the claims deadline to Tuesday night at 10:00pm.

I think this is fair to all. It doesn't give the sharks a huge advantage but yet it doesn't overly penalize them for being proactive. If somebody gets hurt on Thursday and a shark takes advantage, well that is the price of keeping the league flexible and as simple as possible.
Battlecreek Dragon
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk