Ever Fought a Wild Bird? This Kid Has... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Ever Fought a Wild Bird? This Kid Has...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ever Fought a Wild Bird? This Kid Has...

Postby knapplc » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:42 pm

Boy battles hawk to save pup
By Norman Miller/Daily News Staff
Sunday, December 10, 2006 - Updated: 01:00 AM EST

WESTON - Chris Campo had to fight a wild beast for his puppy's life on Friday when a red tailed hawk tried to turn the youngster's Dachshund into dinner.

But, a well-placed kick by Campo to the hawk's head freed 5-month-old Dimi, who quickly high-tailed it to safety.

``I took the dog out to go to the bathroom and he started to run around like he was kind of scared. I didn't know what he was doing,'' said the 11-year-old Weston Middle School sixth-grader. ``I felt a tug (on the leash), and I look back and a hawk was on the back of my dog, trying to eat him.''

While the dog was yelping, Campo stepped on the bird's wing, reared back and let loose with a kick at the hawk's head, he said. The bird did not let go at first and the hawk, dog and child started struggling until the dog broke loose and ran away.

``I didn't really think, I just turned around and kicked the bird,'' Campo said. ``My dog was being attacked.''

The attack happened at about 4:30 p.m., father Charles Campo said. He said his son was outside of their Chiltern Road home for about 30 seconds when he heard Dimi yelp in pain and heard the boy yell.

``I go outside and there was this enormous red tailed hawk and it had attacked the dog on its leash,'' said Charles Campo. ``It was trying to carry the dog off, and my son wouldn't let go and he fought off the hawk. My son was literally fighting a hawk - I was stunned.''

Charles Campo said the hawk had a wingspan of about 3-4 feet, while the wiener dog Dimi weighs only about 8 or 9 pounds, he said.

A hawk attacking a small animal is not a surprise, Wild Birds Unlimited owner Ellen Davis said, but it happening so close to a human is shocking, she said.

``They might do it if they were nesting, but this time of the year, they wouldn't be nesting,'' said Davis, who owns the Medway outdoor bird supply store. ``Red tailed hawks would pick up a squirrel, so it must of thought it was food. I know owls will do it a lot of times with small dogs, but not usually near a human.''

Apparently, the father said, the hawk was not scared off. When he went outside yesterday, the hawk was perched on his air conditioner and then flew to a nearby tree.

``It's been hanging out here all day,'' said Chris Campo, who said his dog was resting comfortably yesterday.

After the struggle, the hawk was left dazed and Dimi had to be rushed to the Wellesley Animal Hospital to get a few stitches in his head.

``If I hadn't seen it myself, it's a story I wouldn't have believed,'' said the elder Campo. ``Dimi is the cutest little thing and he was almost dinner.''
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:08 pm

I was attacked by a goose when I was four years old, does that count?
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:08 pm

Thats crazy! That nutty bird is just hanging out waiting for that dog to come back out. Or maybe hes waiting for the kid to come back out. 8-o
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:22 pm

weiner dogs are a tempting snack for any self respecting carnivorous bird ;-D

I remember when I was a hawk i use to eat weiner dogs like they were going out of style. then I gained a few extra pounds and my doctor was like "whoooa, you need to cut back on them weiner dogs" and i was like "whoooa, wha cho talkin bout doc?"
and he was all "them caint be good for you" and i was like "okay, i'll put the lime in the coconut and call you in the morning" and he said that would be fine.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yellowbird » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:29 pm

Yo Art! I know where you're coming from!

When I was a kid (6 or 7) my Dad and I stayed with one of his friends in Colorado while traveling across country. The guy had three prize geese in his yard and this one used to chase me around anytime I walked around without an adult.

I asked my Dad and his friend what to do. His friend told me to pick up a rock and chuck it at the bird to keep it at bay. He demonstrated with a small pebble. My Dad nodded and I felt a little more secure (but still terrified) in my abilities to defend myself against the fowl.

Later that day I went into the yard and saw the goose eyeing me. As it began to approach with it's giant wingspan spread I picked up the nearest rock I saw, which happened to be about 5-6 pounds. I could barely hold the thing up to throw it. The goose charged me and I used both hands to chuck the thing.

It landed directly on top of it's head breaking it's neck.

To say the least my Dad's friend was none to pleased when they came outside. We were packed up and gone by the next morning.

Later in life my Dad admitted he cracked up when he saw the size of the rock I had thrown. He thought his buddies geese were kind of lame anyway.

Thanks to madaslives911 for the Sig.
Yellowbird
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Metroid » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:54 pm

Redskins Win wrote:weiner dogs are a tempting snack for any self respecting carnivorous bird ;-D

I remember when I was a hawk i use to eat weiner dogs like they were going out of style. then I gained a few extra pounds and my doctor was like "whoooa, you need to cut back on them weiner dogs" and i was like "whoooa, wha cho talkin bout doc?"
and he was all "them caint be good for you" and i was like "okay, i'll put the lime in the coconut and call you in the morning" and he said that would be fine.

:-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby dream_017 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:58 pm

I was attacked by a blue jay when I was 3 !+)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby Redskins Win » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Metroid wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:weiner dogs are a tempting snack for any self respecting carnivorous bird ;-D

:-b

You are king of the movie reference posters today ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:30 pm

Ok...
That was funny! :-b

Alaska story: This retired couple in their motorhome is letting their poodle take a whiz and this bald eagle swoops down, grabs it with his talons, and flies off to feed babies or whatever. The man's wife was distraught. So he consoles her, gets her seated, and on the way around the back of the RV he does the double-pump..."Yes!!"

I hope she didn't read the Anchorage Daily News. :-b
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:58 pm

DANG!!!

That's a big bird. If the bird truly did have a four foot wingspan, I'll bet that kid wasn't over 5 foot tall. That would be pretty freaky to see as a dad, your kik kicking a bird's butt that was trying to eat your dog. :-b ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk