Is this a good strategy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is this a good strategy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is this a good strategy?

Postby benb18a » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:41 pm

Is starting the QB that is throwing to your opponent's WR1 a smart move? I have not decided on starting either Romo or Favre this week, as their matchups are pretty similar and I don't really know who will have the better week. My opponent has TO, would it be a good strategy to put Romo in in case he has a huge game?

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby titans_cafe » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Here's probably the best strategy when setting your roster every week. Use the players that you think will get the most points. Your opponent's roster should have no effect on yours.

It's that simple.
titans_cafe
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mystykoekaki » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:56 pm

No.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby benb18a » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:41 pm

OK I get it. Thanks for laying the smackdown on my noobness :-b

I have heard this topic before, but I guess it doesn't make any sense to start a QB because of your opponent's WR. I was hoping this would make my rough decision easier :,-( :-b

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:09 pm

its not necessarily a bad strategy- as far as fantasy football goes, i say forget who ur opponant has, put in who u think will get the most points that week- that being said, if u have a significantly better team than him, start romo cuz if T.O. has a big game, so does romo and the rest of ur team can take it for u- if he has a much better team than u, start farve and hope GB has a big day while dallas does nothing on offense- if the teams are about the same, go with ur gut

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kilroy » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:54 pm

Start whoever you think will score the most points for your team. Who your opponent does or doesn't have is irrelevant when it comes to setting your lineup.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby benb18a » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:55 pm

That is totally sensible to ignore who he has and focus on who you have to get you points. But, our overall teams are very even, examples being: we split the heads up matches, our projected points are exactly the same, all of our skill players add up to no edge for either team IMO, our defenses are decent but have awesome matchups, you name the position, they are just about dead even. This has literally given me a headache lol.

My gut tells me to go with Romo, but my intelligence tells me that Favre will be a slightly less risk. My intuition isn't exactly reliable, honestly. Ah the hell with it, I think I'm going with Favre. The main reason being Deangelo Hall. :-b

2011:

benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JasonSeahorn » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:34 pm

Deangelo Hall is overrated.

I'd just use Romo, he has been much more consistent than favre, he is a safer play. Favre has more upside, but romo should be safe for points.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:38 pm

benb18a wrote:My gut tells me to go with Romo, but my intelligence tells me that Favre will be a slightly less risk. My intuition isn't exactly reliable, honestly. Ah the hell with it, I think I'm going with Favre. The main reason being Detroit Kittens Defense

The bold part is what your gut SHOULD be telling you... Although I do agree that they are both pretty even this week.

Only one issue to possibly (IMO) push this the other way - Romo is in a dome Saturday while Favre is playing in the rain in GB on Sunday...
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Goatwhacker » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:49 pm

Ben, sorry to be beating a dead horse but it doesn't matter if your teams are evenly matched, you have to evaluate your players individually and play the ones you think will get you the most points. The guy who has TO doesn't (or shouldn't anyway) care if you have Romo or not - he's going to be happy or unhappy with TO regardless of what you do. If Romo throws TDs to Glenn and Witten and TO is blanked you'll be happy and your opponent will be sad.

Favre or Romo - tough choice, I think both are erratic but Atlanta's pass defense sucks so I'd go with Romo although I didn't like the way he looked last game.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk