Should the Dems Lose the Senate Because of This? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Should the Dems Lose the Senate Because of This?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should Governors be forced to replace elected officials with people from their own party if they cannot serve?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes : 21

Postby Metroid » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:14 pm

Redskins Win wrote:I think there should be temporary replacement and a new emergency vote in the next few months to let the voters be heard once again.

as for replacing a dem with a dem or rep with a rep is kinda silly IMO because were talking about people here, with personality not some strict party hard line person that fits the mold on paper, so while a gov may be forced to replace him via laws, who's to say there won't be a big unliked douche appointed just to protect a seat. it's ludicris.

I dont care for his music either but I wouldnt call him a douche. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Twisted Sister » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:16 pm

Sounds like he's going to be ok, so there will be no issue.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:19 pm

Metroid wrote:
Redskins Win wrote:I think there should be temporary replacement and a new emergency vote in the next few months to let the voters be heard once again.

as for replacing a dem with a dem or rep with a rep is kinda silly IMO because were talking about people here, with personality not some strict party hard line person that fits the mold on paper, so while a gov may be forced to replace him via laws, who's to say there won't be a big unliked douche appointed just to protect a seat. it's ludicris.

I'd vote for that guys Fro ;-D

BTW I knew you'd come strong with the ludicris pics ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:26 pm

I agree with most of the people in here saying that he should be required to put in a Democrat, BUT, the other side to the whole thing (not saying that this changes my mind) is that the governor was elected too. :-?

Just kinda makes you think. I mean, they wanted him there as well.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:26 pm

Redskins Win wrote:
Metroid wrote:

I'd vote for that guys Fro ;-D

BTW I knew you'd come strong with the ludicris pics ;-D

I cant help myself. I think thats like the fourth time I've pulled that one. The word ludacris doesnt come up very often in everyday conversation. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Matthias » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:34 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:I agree with most of the people in here saying that he should be required to put in a Democrat, BUT, the other side to the whole thing (not saying that this changes my mind) is that the governor was elected too. :-?

Just kinda makes you think. I mean, they wanted him there as well.

Yah, but even if you boil elections down to just political parties and ignore the personalities involved, there are different issues that you're concerned about for state governor and US Senator. And you're not electing your governor to pick your Senator.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby roninmedia » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:41 pm

In November 1969, Sen. Karl Mundt, R-S.D., was stricken by a severe stroke but he served out the remainder of his term — staying in office through January 1973. Mundt was stripped of his committee assignments but he remained in office, though "his responsibilities were shouldered by members of his staff," according to the Mundt Archives at Dakota State University.

More recently, in 1988, surgery for a brain aneurism kept Delaware Sen. Joe Biden away from the Senate for seven months; a heart attack kept Sen. David Pryor, D-Ark., away from the Senate for five months.

And, even in poor health they can use their political will.

In the spring of 1964, Sen. Clair Engle, D-Calif., was partially paralyzed from surgery to remove a brain tumor but he refused to resign.

Dramatically, in June of that year — one month before his death — Engle was wheeled onto the floor of the Senate to break the filibuster of the Civil Rights Act. Unable to speak, he motioned towards his eye, signifying an "Aye" vote. It counted.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=2727431

We gonna wait and see for his recovery.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Karoz » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:41 am

To me, it seems as if most people outside of South Dakota, who were complaining about this, were concerned merely with the control of the senate.

I am a Republican, so I personally didn't have a problem with this particular issue. However, if it had have been a republican seat at risk, then perhaps my opinion would be different. My observations have lead me to conclude that this is the case for most people who are complaining about this issue. The majority of those that are upset, are Democrats who are afraid of losing that seat.

So, considering that this boils down to being a partisan complaint, and not a complaint that is looking out for the voters in South Dakota, then I wouldn't give it much scrutiny.

Besides, if we were to change this law, then it would open up the floodgate for other political based laws to be changed more easily.
Last edited by Karoz on Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:49 am

Perfect example of why our government is all screwed up.

Who cares what political party someone is from? Either they can do the job, or they can't. Simple as that. Political party is irrelevant to that, and shouldn't be such a big deal. However, since it is such a big deal, it definitely shows that we are not electing people to do the best job they can for us, we're too worried about which political party they belong to. :-/

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:57 am

Karoz wrote:To me, it seems as if most people outside of Virginia, who were complaining about this, were concerned merely with the control of the senate.

I am a Republican, so I personally didn't have a problem with this particular issue. However, if it had have been a republican seat at risk, then perhaps my opinion would be different. My observations have lead me to conclude that this is the case for most people who are complaining about this issue. The majority of those that are upset, are Democrats who are afraid of losing that seat.

So, considering that this boils down to being a partisan complaint, and not a complaint that is looking out for the voters in Virginia, then I wouldn't give it much scrutiny.

Besides, if we were to change this law, then it would open up the floodgate for other political based laws to be changed more easily.

Ummm..... dude? He's a Senator from South Dakota. Not sure where you pulled Virginia from.

And this is a huge deal. This is whole control of the U.S. Senate. Which the country in an overwhelming fashion said they wanted in the hands of the Democrats this past November. You throw off people, "are merely concerned about control of the Senate" as if this was choosing your town's dogcatcher or something. I stayed up until 3.30am Election night watching the returns and the updates. And then followed the twists and turns of the remaining elections as they resolved themselves. Of course people are concerned about it. And it's only a concern for the voters of South Dakota. The U.S. Senate effects me. It effects you. It effects all the voters who swept the Republicans out this past November. It effects everybody.

But in this discussion specifically, I don't see anyone (except maybe you) making their decision on explicit political grounds. Time to turn off Limbaugh and turn on NPR.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk