Should the Dems Lose the Senate Because of This? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Should the Dems Lose the Senate Because of This?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should Governors be forced to replace elected officials with people from their own party if they cannot serve?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes : 21

Postby Karoz » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:05 am

Matthias wrote:
Karoz wrote:To me, it seems as if most people outside of Virginia, who were complaining about this, were concerned merely with the control of the senate.

I am a Republican, so I personally didn't have a problem with this particular issue. However, if it had have been a republican seat at risk, then perhaps my opinion would be different. My observations have lead me to conclude that this is the case for most people who are complaining about this issue. The majority of those that are upset, are Democrats who are afraid of losing that seat.

So, considering that this boils down to being a partisan complaint, and not a complaint that is looking out for the voters in Virginia, then I wouldn't give it much scrutiny.

Besides, if we were to change this law, then it would open up the floodgate for other political based laws to be changed more easily.

Ummm..... dude? He's a Senator from South Dakota. Not sure where you pulled Virginia from.

And this is a huge deal. This is whole control of the U.S. Senate. Which the country in an overwhelming fashion said they wanted in the hands of the Democrats this past November. You throw off people, "are merely concerned about control of the Senate" as if this was choosing your town's dogcatcher or something. I stayed up until 3.30am Election night watching the returns and the updates. And then followed the twists and turns of the remaining elections as they resolved themselves. Of course people are concerned about it. And it's only a concern for the voters of South Dakota. The U.S. Senate effects me. It effects you. It effects all the voters who swept the Republicans out this past November. It effects everybody.

But in this discussion specifically, I don't see anyone (except maybe you) making their decision on explicit political grounds. Time to turn off Limbaugh and turn on NPR.

I had Virginia on my mind. I have now corrected my post.

My comments weren't necessarily derivative of the members of this cafe. I have listened to many people bring up this issue, and their primary reason for complaining was the control of the senate.

I am not saying that the control of the senate isn't a big deal, because it is. I am merely saying that if it was a Republican seat at risk, then the majority of Democrats that are making a big deal about his issue right now, wouldn't even waste their breath. Thus, the primary reason for the complaint, for a lot of people, is partisanship, and not the welfare of the South Dakota voters.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yellowbird » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:22 am

It seems like some of you guys might be interested in this other game I play:

http://www.fantasycongress.com/fc/

Thanks to madaslives911 for the Sig.
Yellowbird
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Karoz » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:38 am

Yellowbird wrote:It seems like some of you guys might be interested in this other game I play:

Wow, I wonder what fantasy game will be invented next.

This one seems as if it could actually be a lot of fun. It begins at the perfect time of the year as well, when the FF season has come to an end. I wonder how many people play the game, and how many leagues are available. I'll suppose I'll go sign up, and check it out.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yellowbird » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:46 am

Karoz wrote:
Yellowbird wrote:It seems like some of you guys might be interested in this other game I play:

This one seems as if it could actually be a lot of fun. It begins at the perfect time of the year as well, when the FF season has come to an end. I wonder how many people play the game, and how many leagues are available. I'll suppose I'll go sign up, and check it out.

I like it because the scoring is based entirely on voting record and bills that the representative push through. You can see what your people are voting on as well. It's pretty funny when you realize that a lot of big names aren't very active and some unknowns are really pushing bills and making laws. It also makes players aware of what the people they voted for are saying vs. what they are doing.

Thanks to madaslives911 for the Sig.
Yellowbird
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:27 pm

Karoz wrote:

fantasy mountain climbing
fantasy bowling
fantasy skiing/snowboarding
fantasy swimming
fantasy curling
fantasy rowing

who knows?
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby stomperrob » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:00 pm

Update:
Sen. (& Dems) better

S.D. pol improves - fears of losing majority soothed

BY MICHAEL McAULIFF
DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

WASHINGTON - Capitol Hill Democrats were breathing a little easier yesterday as a colleague appeared to be improving after brain surgery, making it unlikely they will lose control of the Senate.
South Dakota Sen. Tim Johnson suffered a rare type of stroke in his office Wednesday. Besides concern for him, Democrats feared he might not be able to stay in his job and would be replaced with a Republican by his state's GOP governor.

That would have ended the Democrats' new 51-49 majority and given control back to the GOP, thanks to Vice President Cheney's tie-breaking vote in the Senate.

"He's definitely not out of the woods yet, but there's a minor sigh of relief," said a Democratic staffer.

The Capitol's attending physician, Adm. John Eisold, said Johnson suffered from a "congenital arteriovenous malformation," a snarl of improperly linked artery and veins, which he was born with and caused bleeding in his brain.

George Washington University Medical Center doctors had to operate to drain the blood and fix the leak.

Late in the day, Eisold suggested Johnson was doing well.

"He has been appropriately responsive to both word and touch," Eisold said. "No further surgical intervention has been required."

Soon-to-be Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada said he was praying for a full recovery and was "confident that will be the case."

Outside doctors said predicting the final outcome of such events is dicey, but they were encouraged by the details.

"The recovery from bleeding - from blood in the brain - is better than a dry stroke," said Dr. Mark Siegel of the NYU School of Medicine, referring to the more common type of stroke caused by a blood clot.

"If there wasn't a lot of swelling and the damage was confined to the area [of the tangle], he has a good chance of recovery," Siegel said.

Ailment is rare

Sen. Tim Johnson was stricken with a rare type of stroke with the nearly unpronounceable name of arteriovenous malformation hemorrhage.

Usually present from birth, an AVM is a tangled cluster of veins and arteries most commonly located in the brain or spinal cord. A rare burst vessel in an AVM causes bleeding in the brain, classifying it as a hemorrhagic stroke.

Early symptoms of a hemorrhage include paralysis, muscle weakness, loss of coordination and difficulty communicating - though most AVM patients never experience any symptoms and may be unaware of their condition.

Roosevelt Hospital endovascular surgeon Dr. Joon Song said AVM treatment options include conservative monitoring, filling the AVM with a glue (embolization), invasive surgery and zapping the AVM with focused radiation.

The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke estimates 300,000 Americans have AVMs. About 12% suffer symptoms, and only 1% suffer brain bleeding or death as a result.
Julian Kesner

Originally published on December 15, 2006

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby maddog60 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:12 pm

I have one problem with the whole premise of this original question:

People should be electing a specific official not a party. I know some people vote by party, but you're not electing a party, you're electing the individual person. To force the replacement to be of the same party as the individual elected pretty much starts down the damn of dumbing down voting even more, making it the two major parties than about the elected officials. This would only encourage voters to not bother researching candidates, and just voting based on party. :-t
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Goatwhacker » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:14 pm

Matthias wrote:
And this is a huge deal. This is whole control of the U.S. Senate. Which the country in an overwhelming fashion said they wanted in the hands of the Democrats this past November. You throw off people, "are merely concerned about control of the Senate" as if this was choosing your town's dogcatcher or something. I stayed up until 3.30am Election night watching the returns and the updates. And then followed the twists and turns of the remaining elections as they resolved themselves. Of course people are concerned about it. And it's only a concern for the voters of South Dakota. The U.S. Senate effects me. It effects you. It effects all the voters who swept the Republicans out this past November. It effects everybody.

But in this discussion specifically, I don't see anyone (except maybe you) making their decision on explicit political grounds. Time to turn off Limbaugh and turn on NPR.

The Limbaugh comment is a cheap shot which often seems to come up when a conservative says something on a message board. I have to agree with Karoz that much of the way people feel about this issue comes down to partisanship.

I am glad Johnson is doing better and hopefully his health won't be an issue.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to General Talk