Playing a WR to match your opponents QB??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Playing a WR to match your opponents QB???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Playing a WR to match your opponents QB???

Postby T-DIDDY » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:55 pm

What are your thoughts on starting a WR to match up with your opponents QB. For example, if you have Terry Glenn and they have Romo and T.O. If Romo does well, then Glenn should benefit, but if he doesn't, then it takes away 2 of their players and only one of yours. If the player Glenn replaces is comparable, would you try to get Glenn in for the above reason??? (Assume TD's for QB's are 4 pts and 6pts for WR's)
Last edited by T-DIDDY on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T-DIDDY
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Crippler » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:59 pm

Nope. Glenn isnt even Romo's main target. He could easily have a bad game with Romo's 5 TDs.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Matthias » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:27 pm

This is my take on it from last year.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/foru ... ?t=216680&

I don't remember exactly but I believe it was a follow-on thread to someone else's question. The upshot is, if you think you have a lead, and you're choosing between two guys you can't otherwise choose between, choose the one who is on the same team as your opponent's player. If you think you need a huge day from your players in order to win, choose the other guy.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JStein » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:42 am

I generally like grouping pass-happy QB with WR's together. Last year, I had three combinations: McNabb+TO, Bledsoe+Glenn, and Palmer+Johnson+Houshmenzadeh. Needless to say, when their pass attack goes down, you have no chance at all.
JStein
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:58 am

matthias is right.

If you are an underdog and have a quality option b) its probably better to not synch up with your opponent/
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Crystalstorm » Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:43 pm

My apponent has Brady at QB at I was going to start Caldwell against Houston,with a sure Big game from Brady,after last weeks shut-out.If he didn't have Bradey,I have Sammy Morris as my other flex option along with Addai.

Doesn't it make sense to keep Brady in check with Caldwell being one of his only targets. Gabriel dumped,Watson out,Jackson out.That only leaves basically nobody to throw too.Troy Brown and a gimmpy Graham.

I always believe in starting a Running Back at my flex,but my league is a point per reception,and Caldwell could have something like 8-110-1 or 2 TD's IMO.

When the season started I never would have thought I'd be starting Caldwell in the Play-offs over 2 possibley Good RB choices.Morris at Buffallo and Addai vs Cincy.Caldwell has to be the right choice.
Crystalstorm
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby onnestabe » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:27 am

Crystalstorm wrote:My apponent has Brady at QB at I was going to start Caldwell against Houston,with a sure Big game from Brady,after last weeks shut-out.If he didn't have Bradey,I have Sammy Morris as my other flex option along with Addai.

Doesn't it make sense to keep Brady in check with Caldwell being one of his only targets. Gabriel dumped,Watson out,Jackson out.That only leaves basically nobody to throw too.Troy Brown and a gimmpy Graham.

I always believe in starting a Running Back at my flex,but my league is a point per reception,and Caldwell could have something like 8-110-1 or 2 TD's IMO.

When the season started I never would have thought I'd be starting Caldwell in the Play-offs over 2 possibley Good RB choices.Morris at Buffallo and Addai vs Cincy.Caldwell has to be the right choice.

You are thinking about starting Reche Caldwell. a New England WR, over Joseph Addai, who is facing one of the worst run defenses in the league? Tom Brady spreads the ball around way too much to make this a viable strategy. It's entirely possible that BRady goes off by throwing to Troy Brown, Maroney, and the TEs, and Caldwell gets you nothing.

Unless you are in the situation that Matthias described, start the guy you think is going to score you the most points. Go with Addai.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Matthias » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:38 am

onnestabe wrote:You are thinking about starting Reche Caldwell. a New England WR, over Joseph Addai, who is facing one of the worst run defenses in the league? Tom Brady spreads the ball around way too much to make this a viable strategy. It's entirely possible that BRady goes off by throwing to Troy Brown, Maroney, and the TEs, and Caldwell gets you nothing.

Unless you are in the situation that Matthias described, start the guy you think is going to score you the most points. Go with Addai.

Yes. The situation of matching up with your opponent's players should only come into play if you think that the two options you're choosing between are basically the same forecasted points. Which Addai vs. Caldwell isn't, IMO.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Crystalstorm » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:51 pm

onnestabe wrote:
Crystalstorm wrote:My apponent has Brady at QB at I was going to start Caldwell against Houston,with a sure Big game from Brady,after last weeks shut-out.If he didn't have Bradey,I have Sammy Morris as my other flex option along with Addai.

You are thinking about starting Reche Caldwell. a New England WR, over Joseph Addai, who is facing one of the worst run defenses in the league? Tom Brady spreads the ball around way too much to make this a viable strategy. It's entirely possible that BRady goes off by throwing to Troy Brown, Maroney, and the TEs, and Caldwell gets you nothing.

edited - Check your PM.
Crystalstorm
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Matthias » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:56 pm

He was trying to help you.

And that's why they have yellow cards for umm.... peaches... like you.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk