World's tallest man saves China dolphins - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

World's tallest man saves China dolphins

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby The Balanced Man » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:15 am

BEIJING - The long arms of the world's tallest man reached in and saved two dolphins by pulling out plastic from their stomachs, state media and an aquarium official said Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The dolphins got sick after nibbling on plastic from the edge of their pool at an aquarium in Liaoning province. Attempts to use surgical instruments to remove the plastic failed because the dolphins' stomachs contracted in response to the instruments, the China Daily newspaper reported.

Veterinarians then decided to ask for help from Bao Xishun, a 7-foot-9 herdsman from Inner Mongolia with 41.7-inch arms, state media said.

Bao, 54, was confirmed last year by the Guinness Book of World Records as the world's tallest living man.

Chen Lujun, the manager of the Royal Jidi Ocean World aquarium, told The Associated Press that the shape of the dolphins' stomachs made it difficult to push an instrument very far in without hurting the animals. People with shorter arms could not reach the plastic, he said.

"When we failed to get the objects out we sought the help of Bao Xishun from Inner Mongolia and he did it successfully yesterday," Chen said. "The two dolphins are in very good condition now."

Photographs showed the jaws of one of the dolphins being held back by towels so Bao could reach inside the animal without being bitten.

"Some very small plastic pieces are still left in the dolphins' stomachs," Zhu Xiaoling, a local doctor, told Xinhua. "However the dolphins will be able to digest these and are expected to recover soon."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061214/ap_ ... allest_man

The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:17 am

That's a really cool story.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Karoz » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:24 am

I'm glad to see that he was able to use his height to perform a good deed.

What stands out to me, is the fact that he was actually willing to show up and perform this act of kindness. Hopefully, he will be able to live a long life, despite his gigantism. On a side note, that must have been a traumatizing experience for the dolphins.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:28 am

I wonder why the stomach acids didn't hurt his hand. Must have worn gloves, I guess.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:42 am

knapplc wrote:I wonder why the stomach acids didn't hurt his hand. Must have worn gloves, I guess.

I was thinking the same thing. And from the picture, he wasn't wearing long protective sleeves or anything, so would gloves have been enough? :-?

Well, I can say that from my experience of reaching into dolphin's stomachs that... nevermind, I guess I can't. :-/ ;-D
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:23 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:
knapplc wrote:I wonder why the stomach acids didn't hurt his hand. Must have worn gloves, I guess.

I was thinking the same thing. And from the picture, he wasn't wearing long protective sleeves or anything, so would gloves have been enough? :-?

Well, I can say that from my experience of reaching into dolphin's stomachs that... nevermind, I guess I can't. :-/ ;-D

I'm sure stomach acid doesn't work that fast. If it did, all of our super models would be missing fingers.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Redskins Win » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:34 am

I'm sure the Knicks GM is on a plane to china right now.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: World's tallest man saves China dolphins

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:17 pm

The Balanced Man wrote:Image

That dude on the left is holding his hand like he is blind or something. Like he is having to lead the guy around. :-?

Sorry, just looks kinda funky to me. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:19 pm

yeah, stomach acid contains a "strong acid", but all in all there isn't really that much of it that it would cause you harm from short exposure. I mean, if you bathed in it, that's another story.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: World's tallest man saves China dolphins

Postby Karoz » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:30 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
The Balanced Man wrote:Image

That dude on the left is holding his hand like he is blind or something. Like he is having to lead the guy around. :-?

Sorry, just looks kinda funky to me. :-b

If I'm not mistaken, he is helping him keep his balance.

The last time that I saw Bao, he was using a cane to walk around, and he had people hanging on to him. It is not hard to understand why he would have a hard time balancing. I mean, when you are that tall, you are bound to be really skinny, which would make you very susceptible to falling down.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk