Big House getting bigger!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Big House getting bigger!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Big House getting bigger!!!

Postby stomperrob » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:08 am

For those non-Wolverine types who may be unaware, the Big House is getting bigger and the design will help keep the noise in even better for that 12th man effect. It will take until 2010 to fully complete. The expansion will not result in a lot of extra seats though as they are going to make all the seats larger (current capacity is 107,501 and will be over 108,000 when completed). Here's some pics:

For more info:
http://www.umich.edu/stadium/project-de ... signs.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sandrock » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:35 am

Heh, when I traveled to LSU a few years ago I had a conversation with an LSU about stadiums. I said I had been to every Pac-10 stadium except for WSU and he mentioned that he had been to every SEC stadium except for one, but he wasn't too worried about it since it only held 50k people. I prayed that he didn't ask how much Reser Stadium held. ;-D

Odd though would do an expansion that expands the seats less than 1k. Why waste the money?
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:03 am

that looks really nice

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby NittanyLions » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:44 pm

Looks nice, Penn State could use another k but if you look at their stadium there's really nowhere to put it. :-/
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Atog » Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:07 pm

I'm sorry guys, but this is a disgrace.
While I'm all for tradition and expanding the Big House, the idea of adding luxery boxes is ridiculous. Michigan Stadium is about everybody in the stadium having the same seat, whether you're James Earl Jones, Tom Brady, or just some random student. Michigan fans have stood together and won together in the rain, sleet, and snow for over 120 years, and now they're adding luxery boxes?
From what I've heard, the project is going to limit further expansion (where are they going to put more seats?), and I expect that it will no longer be the largest stadium in America as soon as 5 years from now.
Furthermore the cost to build all of these luxery boxes is going to be ridiculous: 226 million dollars.
Doing some math:
3200 club seats + 83 suites (assuming 10 people per suite)=4030
4030 x $300 (which is really, really generous)=$1,209,000
$1,209,000 x 6 Home Games/Year $7,254,000
Granted, I'm not into economics, but it looks like it'll take 31 seasons for the project to turn a profit.

I hate to be all crotchety, but I feel very strongly about this.
http://www.savethebighouse.com
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby stomperrob » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:04 pm

Atog wrote:I'm sorry guys, but this is a disgrace.
While I'm all for tradition and expanding the Big House, the idea of adding luxery boxes is ridiculous. Michigan Stadium is about everybody in the stadium having the same seat, whether you're James Earl Jones, Tom Brady, or just some random student. Michigan fans have stood together and won together in the rain, sleet, and snow for over 120 years, and now they're adding luxery boxes?
From what I've heard, the project is going to limit further expansion (where are they going to put more seats?), and I expect that it will no longer be the largest stadium in America as soon as 5 years from now.
Furthermore the cost to build all of these luxery boxes is going to be ridiculous: 226 million dollars.
Doing some math:
Granted, I'm not into economics, but it looks like it'll take 31 seasons for the project to turn a profit.

The stadium is in need of renovations and the luxury boxes will help fund this, otherwise ticket prices would have to rise substantially to cover the costs. It's not like the stadium has always looked like this anyway, it's undergone several upgrades over the years. There's still gonna be plenty of room for expansion in the endzones. Anyway, the answers to a lot of questions are here:
http://www.umich.edu/stadium/faq/
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:11 pm

Atog - I'm not sure I understand this "save the big house" stuff. Sure, it may not be the biggest stadium in the NCAA in a few years but first of all... who cares if you have the largest stadium in the NCAA. It still will be, and always will be, The Big House. Secondly, why do you care if some people can sit in their luxury boxes and watch the game? If they're giving the University 5 million dollars a year don't you think they deserve a little better than the students who pay only tuition and get the tickets for a discounted price.

Oh, and if you're all about fairness and equality. How is it fair that boosters and alumni have to pay so much for tickets to sit in the same seats as staff and students?

Okay, then let me see your math here one second. I know that at the UF our luxury boxes are not as cheap as you say. Using your theory the club seats are the same as the suites... that is not true. I can only speak about UF since that is what I know but to be a Bull Gator you have to donate $14,000 per year and that is not enough money to sit in either our luxury suites or club seats. I don't know the exact numbers on how much it is per season but it is significantly more than $14,000 of donation to get around 4 seats in the club level and significantly more to get into the suites. Our suites also hold approximately 25 people per suite. Something tells me it won't take them 31 seasons to pay this off...
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Atog » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:18 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Doing some math:

The stadium is in need of renovations and the luxury boxes will help fund this, otherwise ticket prices would have to rise substantially to cover the costs. It's not like the stadium has always looked like this anyway, it's undergone several upgrades over the years. There's still gonna be plenty of room for expansion in the endzones. Anyway, the answers to a lot of questions are here:

That still doesn't address the aesthetic changes. If we're adding luxery boxes because they feel that the benefits outweigh tradition, then who is to stop them from putting advertisement in the stadium? It's the same deal.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stomperrob » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:05 pm

Atog wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
Doing some math:

That still doesn't address the aesthetic changes. If we're adding luxery boxes because they feel that the benefits outweigh tradition, then who is to stop them from putting advertisement in the stadium? It's the same deal.

They're not going to allow advertising:
Q: Will you allow advertising inside the Stadium?

There are no plans to add advertising inside the stadium.

I agree with Shoeless Joe on this one. No reason why those who pay the big bucks shouldn't be allowed to sit in first class. And several other Big Ten stadiums have upgraded and entered the 21st century - no reason the Big House can't. Why stand in the way of progress - the stadium has undergone several upgrades in its history. I'd rather see a world class facility that still preserves much of the the original Big House than an outdated relic without enough bathrooms and where the handicapped aren't welcome and where older patrons who have donated so much over the years can't sit inside if they so desire.
stomperrob

Postby Atog » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:59 am

Not quoting for sake of sanity:

Me talking about advertising was using an analogy. I read the FAQ, but my point remains. Let me put it this way:

Q: Why add luxery boxes? They're against the stadium's tradition.
A: We feel that the benefits of adding luxery boxes are more important than the stadium's tradition.

Now replace "luxery boxes" with "advertisements".

I can't go with the "other people are adding luxery boxes, why aren't we?" argument either. In fact, I read somewhere that one of the UM Regents (spelling? It's 2AM, sorry) said something along the lines of "It makes me sick that Ohio State has luxery boxes and we don't."
What he's missing is that there are plenty of ways to upgrade the stadium other than adding luxery boxes.
The FAQ says something along the lines of "We looked into other plans but they weren't feasable" and leaves it at that. I can't believe that they made an honest effort to look into other projects.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to College Football