Big House getting bigger!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Big House getting bigger!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby eman » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:21 am

Atog, I'm pretty disgraced that you're actually complaining about this...it's a great development for the better of UofM students, athletes, and the school itself. It's not like they're demolishing the stadium or anything, they're just making improvements/additions, and as far as I'm concerned you're vastly overreacting to an UPGRADE.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:43 am

Some people just despise rich people. "They should have to sit here in the cold with us real fans!"

I would give more weight to the complaint that they "look bad" rather than "we don't want rich people to sit in luxury boxes." That's just small. The NFL has entire teams move to different cities just to build bigger stadiums with luxury boxes. That should tell you something about how much extra scratch they bring in.

Rejoice, UM fans! Now you'll be able to afford to slip more green foliage under the table to your players than the rest of the Big 10 again! ;-D :-? :-t
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby CC » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:36 pm

dgan wrote:Some people just despise rich people. "They should have to sit here in the cold with us real fans!"

I would give more weight to the complaint that they "look bad" rather than "we don't want rich people to sit in luxury boxes." That's just small. The NFL has entire teams move to different cities just to build bigger stadiums with luxury boxes. That should tell you something about how much extra scratch they bring in.

Rejoice, UM fans! Now you'll be able to afford to slip more green foliage under the table to your players than the rest of the Big 10 again! ;-D :-? :-t

The Fab 5 was 15 years ago, let it go.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: ,

Postby stomperrob » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:44 pm

Atog wrote:Not quoting for sake of sanity:

Me talking about advertising was using an analogy. I read the FAQ, but my point remains. Let me put it this way:

Q: Why add luxery boxes? They're against the stadium's tradition.
A: We feel that the benefits of adding luxery boxes are more important than the stadium's tradition.

Now replace "luxery boxes" with "advertisements".

I can't go with the "other people are adding luxery boxes, why aren't we?" argument either. In fact, I read somewhere that one of the UM Regents (spelling? It's 2AM, sorry) said something along the lines of "It makes me sick that Ohio State has luxery boxes and we don't."
What he's missing is that there are plenty of ways to upgrade the stadium other than adding luxery boxes.
The FAQ says something along the lines of "We looked into other plans but they weren't feasable" and leaves it at that. I can't believe that they made an honest effort to look into other projects.

I would say there is a greater threat of advertisements in the stadium to pay for the necessary renovations if the luxury boxes don't get added! And you keep saying luxery instead of luxury so you're not a Mich grad (either in in grade school or an Ohio State grad ;-) :-D ) so what's this big hang-up with tradition???
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby Atog » Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:19 am

stomperrob wrote:
Atog wrote:Not quoting for sake of sanity:

Me talking about advertising was using an analogy. I read the FAQ, but my point remains. Let me put it this way:

Q: Why add luxery boxes? They're against the stadium's tradition.
A: We feel that the benefits of adding luxery boxes are more important than the stadium's tradition.

Now replace "luxery boxes" with "advertisements".

I can't go with the "other people are adding luxery boxes, why aren't we?" argument either. In fact, I read somewhere that one of the UM Regents (spelling? It's 2AM, sorry) said something along the lines of "It makes me sick that Ohio State has luxery boxes and we don't."
What he's missing is that there are plenty of ways to upgrade the stadium other than adding luxery boxes.
The FAQ says something along the lines of "We looked into other plans but they weren't feasable" and leaves it at that. I can't believe that they made an honest effort to look into other projects.

I would say there is a greater threat of advertisements in the stadium to pay for the necessary renovations if the luxury boxes don't get added! And you keep saying luxery instead of luxury so you're not a Mich grad (either in in grade school or an Ohio State grad ;-) :-D ) so what's this big hang-up with tradition???

I must have missed out on spelling luxury while I was busy learning to spell sophomore :-b
Otherwise, I don't get what you're trying to say. The luxerdljaesklesiaoslkj; boxes are going to take years and years to turn a profit, it's not as though they're going to be instant cash.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dgan » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:23 am

Atog wrote:Otherwise, I don't get what you're trying to say. The luxerdljaesklesiaoslkj; boxes are going to take years and years to turn a profit, it's not as though they're going to be instant cash.

Eh, they'd explain it to you in finance class. You borrow the money to build the boxes. The new income makes the payments on the loan and brings in additional revenue. So your yearly profit increases, although you are correct - in the long run, you're technically not ahead until the loan is paid off. But as long as the school doesn't go out of business - can't see that happening - it is a wise business move.

It would be like buying a new suit on your credit card which lands you a high-paying promotion. As long as the promotion makes up for the additional credit card payments, you really are making more money. Who cares if you're actually paying $2,500 for a $1,200 suit? :-b
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby ShoelessJoe » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:17 pm

Apparently, this may not happen. The renovation process may not happen in Ann Arbor. The Michigan Paralyzed Veteran Association is threatening a law suit against Michigan on the grounds that the stadium, renovations included, don't meet ADA (Americans with Disability Act) Code.

Source: http://media.www.michigandaily.com/medi ... 9489.shtml
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby levittator31 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:55 pm

CC wrote:
dgan wrote:Some people just despise rich people. "They should have to sit here in the cold with us real fans!"

I will let it go when people let the whole Maurice Clarett thing go. Almost every bad thing he did was after he got kicked out for doing bad things. The school itself didn't do anything wrong with Clarett, yet it's OK to taunt the Buckeyes fan. The school was at fault in the case of the Thad 5, and Ohio State has done it better with the THAD FIVE without paying them!

Sorry, I've had a rough day. I just needed to get that off my chest.
I'm terribly sorry at thie irreli
Go Bengals, NY Giants, Raptors, Blue Jays, Nationals, Wizards, Maple Leafs, Ohio State Football and Basketball, and U Dayton Basketball!
levittator31
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:46 pm

levittator31 wrote:
CC wrote:

I will let it go when people let the whole Maurice Clarett thing go. Almost every bad thing he did was after he got kicked out for doing bad things. The school itself didn't do anything wrong with Clarett, yet it's OK to taunt the Buckeyes fan. The school was at fault in the case of the Thad 5, and Ohio State has done it better with the THAD FIVE without paying them!

But Maurice Clarrett had wayyyyyyyy worse offenses, and was wayyyyyyyyy more recent than the fab 5.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:06 am

levittator31 wrote:
CC wrote:

We'll see how well the THAD 5 stacks up with the Fab 5 in a few years. I think OSU is going to get bounced in the first 3 rounds this year and I wouldn't count on Cook, Conley, and least of all Oden being around for more than 2 years.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to College Football