Five "Rolodex Running Backs" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Five "Rolodex Running Backs"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Five "Rolodex Running Backs"

Postby The Lung » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:56 am

From: http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis/news?slug=be-skinny_121506&prov=yhoo&type=lgns&league=fantasy/nfl

So you lost in the first round. Instead of throwing yourself onto the tracks of an oncoming train or drowning yourself in a five-gallon drum of wing sauce, live by the Chicago Cubs fan motto: "There's always next year."

Even though your season has come to a bitter end, it's never too early to plan ahead. In the dog-eat-dog fantasy football world, keeper-league owners who take chances now on potential hidden gems can improve their stock for next year before the calendar turns to 2007. Like the old adage says, "Those who get up early, throw helmets with Kyle Turley." Err, something like that.

Last year, owners in keeper leagues jumped on Baltimore backup Chester Taylor late in the season hoping his versatility would lure a team in dire need of a backfield starter. "The Cheetah" signed with Minnesota in March and instantly stepped in as the primary carrier in a Brad Childress offense Taylor-ed (Sorry, couldn't resist) perfectly to his strengths. His seven games of 100-plus total yards have vaulted him into the running back top-10 in performance leagues. It's low-risk moves like these that can build your franchise into a dynasty, without all the excessive paperwork and ego hassling.

Here are five "Rolodex Running Backs" to stash away or target in early drafts that are primed to step forward next year:
  • Chris Brown, Ten
    Y! Availability: 91 percent Notes: Proved with a crucial 16-yard run in overtime at Houston that he can still deliver, Brown, a free agent, could compete for a starting job elsewhere in '07. Only 25, the powerful, upright runner is just two years removed from his first and only 1,000 yard season. Oh, and with Travis Henry questionable, he could showcase his wares against the Jags.
  • Adrian Peterson
    Y! Availability: N/A Notes: The soon-to-be former Boomer Sooner will be the cream of the fantasy crop in April's draft. If Houston executives pass on another can't miss back, more heads should roll in the Texans front office than in "Apocalypto." Equipped with 4.45-40 speed, excellent size (6-foot-2, 218-pounds) and tremendous cut-back moves, he is Eric Dickerson incarnate. He'll probably cost you a mid-second round pick, but is capable of 1,300 total yards and 6-9 touchdowns no matter where he lands.
  • Michael Turner, SD
    Y! Availability: 95 percent Notes: "The Burner" has the propulsion and burly body to be a man-crush mainstay. Built like a Sherman tank at 5-foot-10, 237-pounds, Turner is a power runner than can pancake opposing defenders with his brute strength. Hamstring issues have plagued him lately, but his career 5.9 yards-per-carry average could certainly woo a team like Cleveland, Green Bay or the New York Jets. If the right team signs him this offseason, he's LaMont Jordan circa 2005, but with a third of the receptions.
  • DeAngelo Williams, Car
    Y! Availability: 52 percent Notes: More passionate comments have been made in this column about the Carolina Napoleon then I would like to admit. The man whose potential heats my loins could start if DeShaun Foster, who has two-years remaining on his current contract, were traded by opening kickoff '07. If that happens, D-Will emerges a top-15 back with end-season numbers around 1,400 total yards and 5-7 touchdowns.
  • Brandon Jacobs, NYG
    Y! Availability: 43 percent Notes:The man I call the football Frankenstein is a freak of nature. His raw power and break-tackle ability reminds me of early 90s beefcake Christian Okoye. Unless the G-Men bring in additional competition, Jacobs is a legit late-first, early-second round pick capable of 1,500 total yards and 10-12 touchdowns.

It wouldn't be a very respectable dynasty league if any of these guys were available on the waiver wire, but they are something to think about for trades and / or in re-draft leagues next year.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:42 am

Yeah, all those guys are on dynasty rosters, but given his detailed comments, he's clearly talking from a redraft perspective despite that whole "stash on your bench."
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby onnestabe » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:59 am

He said "keeper" at least two times in his article, so I would assume he was talking about keeper leagues, where it is very possible that these guys are available. Except for Peterson - I'm not sure how his name got in there since no one could stash him on their bench this year.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Stelly » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:57 am

I think it would be appropriate to add Jerious Norwood to that list.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:30 pm

chris brown being in the same article as those other names is awful.
The Miner Part 2
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beanoX3 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:45 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:chris brown being in the same article as those other names is awful.

May not make as big as impact as the other guys in the article, but he's young and will be on another team next year with a strong chance to be a starter. So we can't really ignore him for fantasy purposes.

If he can stay healthy that is. He always seems to be banged up with something or other.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby TheDiplomats » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:29 pm

beanoX3 wrote:
The Miner Part 2 wrote:chris brown being in the same article as those other names is awful.

May not make as big as impact as the other guys in the article, but he's young and will be on another team next year with a strong chance to be a starter. So we can't really ignore him for fantasy purposes.

If he can stay healthy that is. He always seems to be banged up with something or other.

Thats Browns biggest problem. He's talented as hell, but he just gets injured all the time. If he was able to put together a full season, he could put up some nice #2 RB numbers.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby skinsfan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:43 pm

Brown will never equal the success of that one (abbreviated) season with Tennessee. He's too fragile.
Skins fan through thick and thin.
skinsfan
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Yellowbird » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:46 pm

It's that upright running style of his. He leaves too much of his body exposed to the big hit.

Thanks to madaslives911 for the Sig.
Yellowbird
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Keyser_WV » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:37 pm

TheDiplomats wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:

Thats Browns biggest problem. He's talented as hell, but he just gets injured all the time. If he was able to put together a full season, he could put up some nice #2 RB numbers.

Chris Brown is the definition of the word soft. How many chances has the guy had and he has failed every time.

He lost his job to Henry this year and I don't think it was due to injury.

This guy is a career backup.

The other guys on the list are common sense guys to watch out for if you know what you are doing.

Next year I am not even going to listen to any experts opinions or rankings. I think the rankings and start em sit em sites caused me more indecision than I needed. I follow football enough to make my own decisions.

I will peruse the cafe rankings and comments and make my own lists from there.

I really can't believe some of these guys get paid for what they do.

Back on point. As I like to say "Chris Brown is as soft as Charmin"
Keyser_WV
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Football Talk