Will Portis numbers suffer? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Will Portis numbers suffer?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Mudd » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:42 pm

I think Portis will okay this week. The Vikings D is much improved, but I don't see them shutting him down like he was last week.
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby zombiez » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:57 pm

teams are gonna stack against the run, and force Beurline to throw......I think it will definately hurt Portis value.....after all, you gotta respect the Snake, alot more then you do Steve Beurline......not to say he cant get hot and have a good day.....but if D's stay after him, and blitz like crazey like they will probably do....he's done.....
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby V-unit » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:15 pm

Poris will be fine with or without Plummer.
V-unit
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mudd » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:43 pm

No kidding. BRIAN GREISE was the qb last year and Portis still put up great #'s.
Mudd
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby zombiez » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:14 pm

Griese could at least get the ball down field.....and Portis is already a little banged up.just a gut feeling....we'll have too see.
zombiez
Head Coach
Head Coach

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby Orange and Blue » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:49 am

M_Zimm wrote:I at forst said Burline (don't care how it is spelled) stinks, but after the impressive performance he put on last Sunday leading the Broncs to a win, I think Portis will do fine. I am really hoping he does since i have him.

I don't know what game YOU were watching, but in the Broncos-Steelers game, Beurlein did everything possible to give the game away. He threw 2 picks to give the steelers the ball with 20 yards to go, he only managed to put drives together because Sharpe and Smith made some inhuman catches to bail him out for badly thrown balls, and he was BEGGING to get picked off a third time in the game-winning drive, but the Steeler dropped the ball. He was once a VERY good quarterback, but he has since gotten older and rustier, and defenses don't respect him. He's one of the most immobile QBs in the NFL, which means defenses don't have to respect his running abilities, and his arm is losing its crispness, meaning Ds don't respect the deep ball any more. His accuracy is WAY down, which is certain doom for an immobile pocket passer. If he didn't have 36 years worth of veteran experience at WR to bail him out for bad throws, he'd be absolutely screwed. Beurlein definitely hurts Portis's value.

No kidding. BRIAN GREISE was the qb last year and Portis still put up great #'s.

Mudd, I don't know if you remember this or not, but Greise in 2000 posted the second best TD:INT ratio in the NFL. Under him, Smith and McCaffrey became the second tandem EVER to each get 100 receptions in the same season, and Smith put up 1600+ yards (at the time, the 8th highest total EVER). A year later, with McCaffrey injured, Smith made a very serious run at getting the single season receptions record. Greise was a good quarterback, and had several incredibly productive seasons. In the end, however, he was jetissoned because he lacked the ability to win the big games, was aloof and didn't get along well with the players, and wasn't much of a leader. If you're going to knock a QB, at least have the decency to knock a bad one.
CP:TD::Sanders:Smith
Orange and Blue
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:59 am

Portis's numbers could suffer as long as they run into Ds like the Steelers who tough to run on. They don't have to worry as much about the long pass and can keep their secondary close to the line of scrimmage and help stuff the run. The real loser with Plummer out is Lelie. He was getting lots of looks with Plummer the last few weeks and then gets 5 yards with Beurline at the helm.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Paladyr » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:25 am

I really hope Portis does well, Beurlein scares the crap outta me b/c he throws too many INTs.
Paladyr
General Manager
General Manager

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:27 am

moochman wrote:Portis's numbers could suffer as long as they run into Ds like the Steelers who tough to run on. They don't have to worry as much about the long pass and can keep their secondary close to the line of scrimmage and help stuff the run. The real loser with Plummer out is Lelie. He was getting lots of looks with Plummer the last few weeks and then gets 5 yards with Beurline at the helm.

No kidding, I am glad I traded him two weeks ago....Lelie has gotten nothing on that guys team.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby korliss » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:28 pm

I think Portis will be fine. I'm still suspicious of Minnesota's run defense. There's stats are solid, but they've played struggling offenses and have only faced one top RB thus far: Ahman Green, who had a nice game. Minnesota also gave up a good game to Anthony Thomas. This matchup with Denver will be a real test.
korliss

Friendliness: %

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk