Who that drafted or owned LT in 2006, didn't make playoffs?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who that drafted or owned LT in 2006, didn't make playoffs??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:28 am

Dawinner127 wrote:I disagree with you completely. Having a top pick his a big advantage, yes, I agree. But the biggest thing is having luck on your side. Even with the best draft and 1st pick overall in your draft, doesn't guarantee your playoff or Fantasy Football Super Bowl Victory. Fantasy Football is a game of luck and if you don't have that, you won't win. You can have the best team ever, but the one week you play your opponent, he can have the greatest week ever. Brees throwing for 5 TDs with 350 yards. Chad Johnson having 236 recieving yards with 3 TDs. Javon Walker having a total of 44 fantasy points. It's all luck.
The luck factor is totally true. There is no way my Fantasy Baseball Cafe team should have lost this year:

Romo
TO
Wayne
Fitz
Alexander
Brown
Witten
Akers
Baltimore

You mean to tell me that's not a top 4 team in a league? Fantasy football is mostly luck. I agree.
chadlincoln
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:11 pm

LT owner in my league picked up Frank Gore in the 6th round as well. I just got my ass handed to me this past week. Oh well, always next year.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dunbar2000 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:37 pm

TO BLUESOX

Your argument's problems lie in how absolute you try and be. I agree that drafting and draft position combined is the most important aspect of winning a title. IF YOU DONT HAVE A GOOD DRAFT, YOU LIKELY DONT HAVE THE PIECES TO PUT YOUR TEAM IN A SITUATION TO BE A FAVORITE TO WIN. Can you still win if your draft is unfavorable, or can you lose if your draft is auspicious? OF COURSE, it is fantasy and luck, misfortune, injuries are part of what makes a draft look good/bad. Thus why you can't be an absolutist and say.......

"Anyway, this once again goes to prove that the DRAFT and DRAFT POSITION is the one and only MOST important SUCCESS factor to WINNING in FF...... "

The exteme comment is where you lost me, if you had simply stated most important, I could agree with you and I think other's would ....BUT you stated the "one and only most important."

There is a difference, you are being an absolutist and impling it is above and away the most important. Injuries, luck, waivers, are all INCREDIBLY important pieces of the puzzle. If a book was written on fantasy football, you'd have to include those in your discussion of a successful manager/season.

For instance, I drafted SJax, Portis, Harrison, Dunn, DJax in one league. Great draft BUT if I hadnt made trades I did I'd be done. I traded Portis, Maroney for Westbrook. Dunn, and QB for Manning (after 1st two games when he was hot), SJax when he was blowing up AND two RBs fot LT (we start 2 RB and flex, the other team filled out their RB corp and Ill be seeing that team in the superbowl).

Had I not made trades, I'd be done. I was lucky and had good fortune.

Yet, I agree that without a solid draft you will need a lot of things to go your way to have a shot to win a title. A good draft provides the mobility to make trades for other players. Otherwise, you have to rely soley on the waiver wire. Can't say it is the one and only though man!

TO PEOPLE DISCREDITING THE DRAFT'S OR DRAFT POSITION'S IMPORTANT
You are right, you can't ignore luck like other players stated. Luck, or misfortune can change everything quickly. I had five of my six top draft picks go down in one league two years ago. You can't account for that. In four of the six leagues I've done in the past two years, I've had the MOST points scored against me.

The deal is that you can structure your league to aide teams like that. Blind bidding for waivers, enough roster spots, NO roster limits so someone can pickup a bunch of backup RBs and pray for relief if they are thin at RB, Victory Point scoring to reward the team that scored the second most points but lost with some points in the overall standings (I would not have made the playoffs and am #1 in the power rankings in one league if it werent for victory points). Bluesox suggested this.

TOMLINSON EFFECT
Im really considering going to an auction next year. I considered it this year but backed down as a commisioner. A draft is just too unfair.

Could an injury screw over the LT team? YES, it sure screwed over the Alexander team this year in every league I was in. However, every team with LT or LJ is in the playoffs in my leagues. I feel there should be a fairer way than a coin flip at the beginning of the year to decide that.

As an American, it seems right to support the ideology of providing equal opportunity. An auction offers that more so than a draft where a top pick gets the best RB and a shot at two top tier WRs or two #2 RBs to round out their team.
He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security.
-Ben Franklin

Should be applied to our current global situation and fantasy football as well.
Dunbar2000
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk