Lessons learned from the 2006 Fantasy Football season - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lessons learned from the 2006 Fantasy Football season

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lessons learned from the 2006 Fantasy Football season

Postby biju » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:46 pm

Anyone have any good lesson learned from this year?

Here's one of mine: This year I picked a number of RBs (across various teams) that were either rookies or who I thought were going to be the alternatives when the starter failed instead of picking starting players. Frank Gore could have been on a number of my teams but I thought SF would never be able to run the ball being behind in too many games. Instead I chose players like Cedric Benson assuming that once they got the starting nod they would fare very well.

Lesson learned: Players don't lose their starting spot due to ineffectiveness as much as we might think. Choosing a starting RB over a player with potential that is a backup is a much, much safer play. (Sounds obvious as I type it.)

Anyone else?
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:10 pm

Stop chasing the big season from last year. SA, Palmer, Steve Smith, are any of these guys carrying teams this year? When a player has the best year they've ever had, let someone else overpay.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby FantasyMan13 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:32 pm

maddog60 wrote:Stop chasing the big season from last year. SA, Palmer, Steve Smith, are any of these guys carrying teams this year? When a player has the best year they've ever had, let someone else overpay.

All 3 of them have been injured and are performing now ehen it matters most though ('cept for Smith cuz Delhommes been awful and injured)
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:48 pm

Don't jump on the bandwagon of 2nd year starting running backs who have either 1 or zero decent seasons under their belts. Ronnie Brown, Caddy, and Lamont Jordan come to mind.

Be wary of old quarterbacks with young guys behind them. If you had told me that Cutler, Leinart, Young, and Tavaris Jackson would all be starting by the end of the year, I would've told you that you were crazy.

Running backs after the 3rd or 4th round are very wary. Although there are quite a few first round busts, there are less people drafted after the 3rd or 4th round that play like 1st-3rd round draft picks. The only 2 that come to mind are Jones-Drew and Frank Gore.

A bad offensive line destroys an offense. The Raiders and Cardinals were particularly hurt, and the Steelers, Browns, Texans, and Lions were affected as well.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby mrblitz » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:06 pm

I've been playing too long to learn and lessons. But I once again shake my head at a few players that I let slip in some drafts.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:52 pm

I have Romo and Brees as my QB options. When Dallas played NO, I went back and forth on who to start and eventually settled on Romo because New Orleans had a weaker pass defense. It was the only week I didn't start Brees and he passed for 5TDs. The lesson: don't overthink when it comes to your studs. Just play them every week and enjoy the ride...
Inukchuk
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:22 pm

get LT.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:25 pm

Be the commish. That way, you can change WW priority, lock people's teams, drop players off teams, etc.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BrutallyHuge » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:35 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Don't jump on the bandwagon of 2nd year starting running backs who have either 1 or zero decent seasons under their belts. Ronnie Brown, Caddy, and Lamont Jordan come to mind.

If that was the case, you wouldn't consider Willie Parker or Frank Gore?

The fact that they were 2nd year players had ZERO to do with them sucking this year. Ronnie had a new QB and new Offensive Coordinator. LaMont had a new QB, new Offensive Coordinator, and a new Head Coach. Caddy really overachieved last year behind an awful O-Line. I pegged him as a bust really early.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby portisfan24 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 6:03 pm

Don't be afraid to trade. In one of my leagues this year I had 6 solid running backs on my roster, but crap for wide receivers. It really cost me in the end because I was benching guys like Thomas Jones and Fred Taylor, while starting bums like Keenan McCardell or Randy Moss.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk