Lessons learned from the 2006 Fantasy Football season - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lessons learned from the 2006 Fantasy Football season

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby spodog » Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:53 pm

mrblitz wrote:I've been playing too long to learn and lessons. But I once again shake my head at a few players that I let slip in some drafts.

How long have you been playing Blitz?
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:42 pm

spodog wrote:
mrblitz wrote:I've been playing too long to learn and lessons. But I once again shake my head at a few players that I let slip in some drafts.

How long have you been playing Blitz?

To not be able to learn anything new...my guess is, something B.C. or before the Dawn of Time.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Bravos of Steel » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:30 pm

First and foremost, good offensive lines are vital. One team in my league's starting lineup had both Caddy and Edge as their starting RBs. What once looked like a dominant backfield pre-season turned into a dead last place team.

Lesson Learned: Draft RBs from good RBs from excellent offensive lines before Great RBs from horrible offensive lines.
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:52 pm

Bravos of Steel wrote:First and foremost, good offensive lines are vital. One team in my league's starting lineup had both Caddy and Edge as their starting RBs. What once looked like a dominant backfield pre-season turned into a dead last place team.

Lesson Learned: Draft RBs from good RBs from excellent offensive lines before Great RBs from horrible offensive lines.

the only exception to that rule is Willie Parker ;-) !+)
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby cardiac cats » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:12 pm

Don't be too afraid to drop players you drafted. I for the life of me will hardly ever drop players in fear that they will blow it up for someone else. Case in point, Deshaun Foster rotted on my bench all year. I could have had ummm lets see: Jones Drew, Romo, and Colston come to mind.

And another point... QB's DO carry alot of weight. I lost in all my playoffs leagues do to poor Qb play... Maybe, just maybe I should have sprung on Marc Bugler in the 3rd round of my draft.
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby kevster1 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:59 pm

Dont use a high draft pick on a player who is on a team with big question marks. I was certain like many others that Chambers was going to be huge this year. Unfortunately Cullpepper was nowhere near healthy, and Harrington, and Chambers have absolutely no chemistry. In the future I will let others take that chance on such uncertainty.
kevster1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Amazing Oopah » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:32 am

this is my first season and I think I've learned quite a few things, most importantly in my mind are having quality RB depth and doing more homework on the situation surrounding a player. If I had followed that second point, I would have avoided Lamont in a couple of leagues !+)
Amazing Oopah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jdogg_ffc » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:51 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:
Metroid wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:
Metroid wrote:I learned that I really need to have better luck next year. :-b ;-D

And then there's that. :-b

I know huh, easier said than done. :-b

If you figure out how please let me know. ;-D

Draft LT?

I had third pick and when LT fell to me I was very happy!!!!!!

The crazy thing is the team with LT had won the last 2yrs.!!!!!

Make that 3 now, I just won!!!!!!!!!!
First the Shock, then the Pistons can the Lions be next?

Well maybe next yr.

PS I didn't lose a paper bag challenge but somehow as a Lion's fan it just feels right.
jdogg_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby pimpforalivin » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:22 pm

Lesson learned:

Don't rely on Vick in the championship game. He had been a roller coaster all season, not sure why I expected it to change now.

Edit: I think I'm going to spare myself the agony and not draft him next year.
pimpforalivin
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby codered7 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:59 am

Wow mad lessons learned this year. This is my 2nd year of actually putting effort into fantasy.

1st potential is worthless unless picked in late rounds.
-chambers is a bum
-gore is da man

2nd do NOT always start your studs
-studs killed me in playoffs fo all my leagues...tory/ocho(grrrrrr...fumble in last fantasy game common)/Matt Hassebalck(CRRRRRAPP wk 15 sf../16)/cpalm(wk15 semis...negative?)/roy(wk13-15 suck?)/chitown(BIGGEST bust in the playoffs...great matchups...sh*tty pts...mb just rely on them too much, but not even close to par)
-I didn't have these studs, but they blew as well...steve smith/AJ(he's still a beast)/Boldin/Gates/Tiki(lost his studness when bj came...but ppl still think he's stud)

3rd Matchups ARE KEY!
-ron dayne vs indi nuff said

4th TRADE!!!!!
-In all my leagues i stashed away rbs that were starters, more than 2 panned out fo me, and I should of traded couple of em away(I had deuce/sjax/gore/jamal)

5th PREPARE FO playoffs
-chitown is the best example. I knew that they were hurtn, and plus they clinched everything...meaning they would be benching starters. WHY WOULD I START THEM? because they were playn TB and DET wk 15 16.
I should of traded chitown away...they were gettn 30pts a game(and losn players right and left to injury...mannin/tank/vasher/and lots more)... I should of realized that injuries would finally catch up with them.

6th kickers are impossible
-just pick one that plays a week d. Rackers vs SF.

Yea... so lots of lessons learned. Most important I loath Chitown for playing so hard in the regular season, and killing all their starters, and then clinching, and then benchin everyone fo when it don't count fo them...but counts fo us. GO PATS F*CK THEM UP IN THE SUPER BOWL!
thnx madaslives911 fo the sig! you da man!

Ochenta y Cinco! Who?
Ochenta y Cinco! Who?
Ocho Cinco Biatch! O ok.
codered7
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk