Lessons learned from the 2006 Fantasy Football season - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Lessons learned from the 2006 Fantasy Football season

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby dgan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:18 am

SDubya wrote:
Yellowbird wrote:
Be careful of good players on teams with sinking moral. Andre Johnson, Roy Williams have both faded down the stretch. I had ample opportunities to trade them both, but passed in many cases.

This is interesting. Experienced FFers: do you find this to be true in most cases?

Yes and no. Receivers are pretty much exempt from any fantasy "wisdom". They are up and down from week to week anyway, so to try and label their down weeks with a reason is a waste of time.

Running backs, however, I do buy this entirely. You see it with McGahee nearly every year. He scores 90% of his TDs normally in the first half of the season. Once the team has mailed it in, he is not nearly as productive...except against the Jets, of course.

Starting QBs also can be affected by this, but usually only those whose job is in jeapordy. Conversely, getting a backup QB on a team not playing well is often fantasy gold - (Tony Romo/Vince Young/even Harrington until last week was serviceable.)

So I think you look at each situation on its own.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re:

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:42 am

This was one of my favorite threads from the 2006 season. Now that a new season is upon us and full of possibilities and optimism, we sometimes forget how we've felt in the past. Which is why I wanted to bump this old thread.

Also, to reply to this guy's post....

pimpforalivin wrote:Lesson learned:

Don't rely on Vick in the championship game. He had been a roller coaster all season, not sure why I expected it to change now.

Edit: I think I'm going to spare myself the agony and not draft him next year.

Good idea. :-b ;-D
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Lessons learned from the 2006 Fantasy Football season

Postby m16a » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:57 am

Things I learned.

1. Draft or trade for LT

2. never EVER, and I mean NEVER start FWP against the Ravens.

3. Marvin Harrison does better later in the year.

4. If you can't have Gates, then get Davis.

5. Shootouts are a good thing when you have the top fantasy scorer from both teams :-b
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Jimboozie » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:04 am

m16a wrote:5. Shootouts are a good thing when you have the top fantasy scorer from both teams :-b

Shootouts are always great for fantasy unless you're starting one of the defenses! :-b
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby m16a » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:06 am

Jimboozie wrote:
m16a wrote:5. Shootouts are a good thing when you have the top fantasy scorer from both teams :-b

Shootouts are always great for fantasy unless you're starting one of the defenses! :-b

OOOH yeah. Remember the Bengals and CHargers shootout? I had LT and Palmer on my team that game ;-D ;-D
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:37 pm

dont give up too soon on guys you have have drafted....last yr i drafted jones-drew, in the 12th rd, in the first game or 2 he didnt do squat and i released him, and you know how the rest of the story goes...Had i held on another week or 2 I woulda reaped the benefits, and at least got to trade him for value, this yr ALL my sleepers, will get at least a few weeks before they get dumped(james jones, greg jones, TJ Duckett)
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Popcynical » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:45 pm

Don't draft more than a couple sleepers per draft. Last year I think I drafted Mike Bell and Kevan Barlow and it didn't work out too well. (Did hit on Jennings though) Now I try to draft more proven guys with the earlier rounds and save my sleepers until the end of the draft.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:14 pm

last year was my first year, and i had 3 different leagues. i had to learn the hard way that the key to success is RB depth. this or projecting teh future, but i think RB depth is a little easier to do :-b
im not sure if every year was like last year, but it seemed like a lot of early drafted RBs fell off drastically or were injured for most of the season

also learned that WRs are crappy(i mean unpredictable, but crappy works also), and that fantasy makes sundays that much better. especially since i live in houston and havent had a home team to cheer for in a long time :-]
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Previous

Return to Football Talk