Week 16 GC: NY Jets @ Miami - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Week 16 GC: NY Jets @ Miami

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:00 am

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
disgruntledjetsfan wrote:unbelievable is right, who thought the Jets would be 9-6 going into the final week of the season?

I think Dawinner is the only one in the world since he's been predicting 10-6 for months now. I really thought he was nuts but he COULD end up being 100% right as long as we take care of business next week. (crosses fingers)

haha yea that is true. We all agreed that on paper it seemed like it could happen, but none of us besides dawinner thought it was actually possible or would happen. Now we just have to take care of business next week at home against oakland. Good thing we have mangini, he definitely won't let our players sleep on the raiders.

I am in love with Manini[genious]. The only thing I don't agree with is that he didn't go for 3 against Indy and Penningtong thew that pick in the redzone and that against Buffalo (week before Minnesota), it was 4 and 1 on Buffalo 40 or so, and they took a delay game and punted. But other wise.. I love him ;-D
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:10 am

Gotta hand it to Mangini, if not for Sean Payton resurrecting the Saints I think he'd win Head Coach of the Year in a landslide. Even with Payton in the mix, Mangini did a phenomenal job:

1) Getting a very young and newly rebuilt offensive line to play well.
2) Getting Pennington back to a starting QB level of play.
3) Transitioning that defense to the 3-4.

That's a lot for one season. From what I've seen of the Jets I just can't understand why Mangini continues to allow Barlow to ever touch the football. Barlow seems to be lethally allergic to carrying the ball over 3 yards at any given time, and both Washington and Houston have shown flashes of big play ability.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby maddog60 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:12 am

Gotta hand it to Mangini, if not for Sean Payton resurrecting the Saints I think he'd win Head Coach of the Year in a landslide. Even with Payton in the mix, Mangini did a phenomenal job:

That's a lot for one season. From what I've seen of the Jets I just can't understand why Mangini continues to allow Barlow to ever touch the football. Barlow seems to be lethally allergic to carrying the ball over 3 yards at any given time, and both Washington and Houston have shown flashes of big play ability.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:26 am

maddog60 wrote:Gotta hand it to Mangini, if not for Sean Payton resurrecting the Saints I think he'd win Head Coach of the Year in a landslide. Even with Payton in the mix, Mangini did a phenomenal job:

Houston was inactive last night. And also, I still say Coach Of The Year goes to Mangini. Look at the Saints.. Look at the stars on that team: Brees, Bush, McAllister, Colston, Horn. Look at the Jets: Laverneous Coles? Mangini has such little to work with, whil Payton has Brees, BUsh, McAllister, Colston...
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Jack » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:01 am

Dawinner127 wrote:Mangini has such little to work with, whil Payton has Brees, BUsh, McAllister, Colston...

Aside from Brees--if only because he's had success in the NFL before--those names could easily have been part of one more losing Saints team (McAllister in particular) without Payton at the helm. The fact that you're rattling Colston's name--a seventh-rounder out of Hofstra--off as a "star" is a testament to Payton's work.

Mangini's success in the tougher AFC is the best argument for him as Coach of the Year--that, and the fact that the Jets sucked almost as hard as the Saints last year--but Payton will (and should) win the award because his big buy of Brees panned out well and his team has an actual shot at making the Super Bowl.
Last edited by Jack on Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks to madaslives911 for this graphic from his site...
MOVE THOSE CHAINS, MOVE THOSE CHAINS, MOVE!
Jack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:02 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
disgruntledjetsfan wrote:unbelievable is right, who thought the Jets would be 9-6 going into the final week of the season?

I think Dawinner is the only one in the world since he's been predicting 10-6 for months now. I really thought he was nuts but he COULD end up being 100% right as long as we take care of business next week. (crosses fingers)

dont worry, no one loses to the raiders (except the steelers) !+)
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby maddog60 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:08 am

Dawinner127 wrote:Houston was inactive last night. And also, I still say Coach Of The Year goes to Mangini. Look at the Saints.. Look at the stars on that team: Brees, Bush, McAllister, Colston, Horn. Look at the Jets: Laverneous Coles? Mangini has such little to work with, whil Payton has Brees, BUsh, McAllister, Colston...

Payton does have more to work with, but he's also doing more. Not to take anything away from the Jets, but I don't think they have any shot at the SB. The Saints are highly in contention, at worst the 4th best team in the NFL. Also, Colston was a 7th rounder. For him to be that stellar, but having been drafted so low I think is another plus for Payton, not a detractor from his coaching this year. Either way, they have both put in phenomenal efforts worthy of consideration.

btw: anyone else noticing how this year there seems to be no clear cut #1 at anything. Coach of the Year, Rookie of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Comeback Player of the Year, etc. The only award that seems to have a clear cut top candidate is Defensive Rookie of the Year (how could it not be Demeco Ryans?). Gotta love this parity!
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:25 pm

maddog60 wrote:Payton does have more to work with, but he's also doing more. Not to take anything away from the Jets, but I don't think they have any shot at the SB. The Saints are highly in contention, at worst the 4th best team in the NFL. Also, Colston was a 7th rounder. For him to be that stellar, but having been drafted so low I think is another plus for Payton, not a detractor from his coaching this year. Either way, they have both put in phenomenal efforts worthy of consideration.

But look at the Jets over the offseason. The Jets were cutting people left and right because of the Salary Cap. The Jets even cut arguably the best Center in the NFL after Kreutz [sp] because they had to cut for salary reasons. I'm not 100% sure if this is true are not, but the Jets were so close to going over the cap and had no money to make moves, while the Payton went out and got Brees as a free agent. With no money to spend, look what Mangini has done to this team. I know that Payton turned around the Saints 3-13 record to 10-5, while, Mangini turned around the 4-12 Jets to 9-6 (most likely 10-6 after the Raiders). But last year, the Saints beat the Jets in the Meadowlands, so that might say that the Saints were an already better team than the Jets last year, which means that Mangini harder terms to work with to make the Jets what they are now.

(I don't know if any of that what I just said made any sence :-b )
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby NittanyLions » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:46 pm

Coles goes for 0 points, which is what I needed, but my own stupidity causes me to lose it anyway, plus TO's complete inability to play football. Ugh, what a heartbreaker :~(
NittanyLions
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting