Why have a playoffs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Why have a playoffs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why have a playoffs?

Postby kevster1 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:07 pm

I continue to read many posts from owners who put together teams that were dominant for most of the year until the playoffs. Whereby due to circumstances completely out of their control promptly got bounced. In my main league that has been around for 12 years, with virtually the same owners, we simply play head to head with record , and then points being the deciding factor. There is substantial money involved, and we pay down to 4th place so we keep nearly all the owners interested, and involved. In addition we pay player pots for high weeks for a Qb Rb Rec Te kicker , and Defense. I am also in a league with the playoff format, though for considerably less money, and it is nowhere near as interesting or in many cases fair in deciding which owner drafted, and managed their team the best.
kevster1
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Popcynical » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:26 pm

It's more realistic and exciting.

Imagine if the NFL gave the Superbowl trophy to whoever had the best record at the end of the season.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby lushmd » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:02 pm

You could do both: in one league that I am in, we award prizes both for total points as well as via a playoff system. Usually, the same person wins both (this year, I am out of the playoffs but hope to win total points...).
lushmd
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby maddog60 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:41 pm

I'd play in leagues that have an award for best record or total points, but I like playoffs in fantasy football for the same reason I hate the BCS.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Vixtor » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:41 am

lushmd wrote:You could do both: in one league that I am in, we award prizes both for total points as well as via a playoff system. Usually, the same person wins both (this year, I am out of the playoffs but hope to win total points...).
I did that last year and would have this time too but started the league a bit late and didn't get enough players to spread it out. Definitely the best way to pay out though if you have 12 players is total points plus playoffs.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:03 am

maddog60 wrote:I'd play in leagues that have an award for best record or total points, but I like playoffs in fantasy football for the same reason I hate the BCS.

Beat me to it maddog. ;-D

In real sports the best team doesn't always win...same thing in FF. Playoffs allow all the playoff teams to at least have a chance to get hot and win a championship, just like the Steelers last year. If the NFL didn't have playoffs and played it like your system, the Steelers wouldn't have even come close to winning anything last year. Playoffs are the only way to go. Give teams a chance because on any given Sunday the underdog can pull of the upset and win it all. Take the Jets in SB 3. They were 17 (or so) point underdogs to the Colts. In your system you would've just given the championship to the Colts. :-t

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Kilroy » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:52 am

In my $$ league this year I had (in my opinion) a solid squad coming out of the draft, and although I was second in total points at the halfway point I had a 3-4 record to show for it. End of the year I finished 8-5-1, and unless the #1 seed (who went 11-3) gets 110+ from Coles tomorrow I'm taking home the title. Playoffs are the only way to fly. ;-D

(FWIW I finished 1st in total points too.)

184-71. Gotta love my Team's Timing. :-B

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Crippler » Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:47 am

Much more fun. I'm in 2 playoff leagues and 1 non-playoff league. The first 2 are extremely exciting to follow each week, the latter league is boring as hell. The top 2 teams have 1st and 2nd wrapped up...and it has been that way for 2 or 3 weeks.

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Pirate of the Carib » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:25 am

It is exiting to have playoffs, but not nearly as fair. I don't like the BCS system either, but in real life playoffs, the teams really play against each other, the best team will 90% of the time win. The Colts were a worse team than the Steelers in 2005. Is there any question over that? This is because Dungy can't play call in the playoffs and Manning sucks under pressure. The only reason why the best team doesn't always win is poor refereeing, and that would only be in very close games.

In FF the players don't face the other team's defense. It's not actually a match. It's just who has the players that are doing better on different teams around the league.

The exitement is just not worth the unjustness. I would say that the best team wins about 65% of the time.
Pirate of the Carib
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby spodog » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:55 pm

Head to head is much more fun. If you want to do a simple total points thing, go follow NASCAR's Nextel cup standings. :-t
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk