Why have a playoffs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Why have a playoffs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby CC » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:58 pm

We do head to head with no playoffs for my money league, best record wins. It is still exciting and a lot of fun, the only problem is when someone clinches the title with a week or two left, but everyone is jockeying for draft spots the next year anyways.
Image
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11079
Joined: 30 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House.

Postby Crippler » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:20 pm

Pirate of the Carib wrote:
The exitement is just not worth the unjustness. .


I disagree completely. We play Fantasy Football for fun, or at least I do. I want my team to win (and it usually does), but its extremely anti-climatic to not have playoffs.

In my non-playoff league this year, the top 2 teams are dominating and are 2 or 3 games in front of the pack. Team #1 averages around 100pts a week, #2 averages about 120. Teams 3-10 average only around 80. The problem is that team #2 is tied with team #1 with a worse one-on-one record between the two teams. #1 and #2 dont play each other for the rest of the year. So team #2, which is clearly the better team, has no chance of winning the league because team #1 isnt going to lose its matchups against team 3-10. Both teams will just ride out the rest of the season without losing, instead of facing each other in the final round to see which team is actually better.

This is just as unfair in my opnion.
Image

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1946
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sixxgunn » Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:57 pm

Crippler wrote:
Pirate of the Carib wrote:
The exitement is just not worth the unjustness. .


I disagree completely. We play Fantasy Football for fun, or at least I do. I want my team to win (and it usually does), but its extremely anti-climatic to not have playoffs.


True. I had a good but not great team, and ended with a .500 record. But everyone is evenly matched, so no one walked away with it this year. The difference is, I made adjustments to my team to pick up players that would do well in the playoffs (Picked up Cutler, for one) while everyone else stood pat. I just dominated the team with Brees at QB because he had a "stud" QB. I benched Trent Green and Hasselbeck. That's why playoffs are fun, and fair. Beating up on superior teams with inferior talent due to superior wits at choosing who to play.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4887
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 20 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Who?

Postby SniperShot » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:20 pm

I agree with others. Playoffs are more fun and exciting. I totally owned in a money league this year but got bad luck in the 2nd round of theplayoffs and got bounced. Tough luck I'll be back next year for sure.... That is all.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7511
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Fairfax, VA

Postby fantasizing » Mon Dec 25, 2006 3:21 pm

You have to have playoffs. Every sport has playoffs. Its what separates the contenders from the pretenders. Teams like the Colts and Bears garner little respect while a team like N. England has all the respect because they can win under pressure in one game eliminations when it matters the most. I don't see why it should be any different for fantasy purposes.

Its so exciting to watch teams scrap and fight for the playoffs, because they know...once they get in, anything can happen.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1673
Joined: 30 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pirate of the Carib » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:54 pm

fantasizing wrote:You have to have playoffs. Every sport has playoffs. Its what separates the contenders from the pretenders. Teams like the Colts and Bears garner little respect while a team like N. England has all the respect because they can win under pressure in one game eliminations when it matters the most. I don't see why it should be any different for fantasy purposes.

Its so exciting to watch teams scrap and fight for the playoffs, because they know...once they get in, anything can happen.


I can really see why playoffs are more exiting. The last third of season is exponentially more important in I suppose all real and fantasy sports. I can see why that is- you make your moves and trades for the last third of the season. You just have to be slightly above average for the first 85% of the season. Imagine if you had only an average first 13 games then had a great last three games- boom you're the league champion in a playoff format. If you go undefeated in the first 13 and then have an average 1 or 2 games- you lose. It's not like it never happens either, it happens all the time, if not most of the time.

It is completely unfair for the entire season to come down to like 10-15% of the season
Pirate of the Carib
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 435
Joined: 5 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In a bottle of Gatorade

Postby Azrael » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:14 pm

Pirate of the Carib wrote:
fantasizing wrote:You have to have playoffs. Every sport has playoffs. Its what separates the contenders from the pretenders. Teams like the Colts and Bears garner little respect while a team like N. England has all the respect because they can win under pressure in one game eliminations when it matters the most. I don't see why it should be any different for fantasy purposes.

Its so exciting to watch teams scrap and fight for the playoffs, because they know...once they get in, anything can happen.


I can really see why playoffs are more exiting. The last third of season is exponentially more important in I suppose all real and fantasy sports. I can see why that is- you make your moves and trades for the last third of the season. You just have to be slightly above average for the first 85% of the season. Imagine if you had only an average first 13 games then had a great last three games- boom you're the league champion in a playoff format. If you go undefeated in the first 13 and then have an average 1 or 2 games- you lose. It's not like it never happens either, it happens all the time, if not most of the time.

It is completely unfair for the entire season to come down to like 10-15% of the season


This happened to me this year in a money league I had no business winning. I finished 6-7 with 3 other teams and made the 6th seed based on tiebreakers, though my team was comparable to everyone except the 1 and 2 seeds. I beat the 3 seed and then played the 2 seed when his LJ, Carson, and Bears D had uncharacteristically bad weeks. Wayne, Dayne, Gore, and Jeff Reed have great weeks and I win.

Then in the championship game I blew up for my highest point total of the season with Grossman, Gore, Dayne (unbelievable), Gould, and Minny's D go off. His 12-2 #1 seed featuring Drew Brees, LT, and FWP have some of their worst games of the year.

Funniest thing ever. He's crying a river. A similar but not as bad thing happened in the same league last year where a mediocre looking team I had came out of nowhere to take it down. Last year I drafted 7th out of 12 and won. This year 12th out of 12 and won. Those guys want to freaking stone me.

It's sick when it happens to you but so much funnier when you are on the good end of it.
Image
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 8283
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Keeping da cafe sucka free for 9 years straight

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 5:29 hours
(and 36 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact