Third year in a row I have best team and lost! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Third year in a row I have best team and lost!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Third year in a row I have best team and lost!

Postby Budman_ffc » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:07 pm

Looks I'll be the bridesmaid once again and I've got the best players by far! Just so happens that Weinke sucks so bad they won't let him throw the ball to Smith. Holt is widely recognized as one of the best WR's in the game, but has disappeared in the new Rams offense. Gates is not a primary target of Rivers and for the first time in forever LT doesn't score a TD. Kitna was playing well, but disappeared down the stretch as did the Colts offense which made Vinatieri merely average. The Ravens D was a stud once again, but couldn't do enough to help me win against my opponent who's having his highest scoring game of the year. Oh well, at least I get there every year!
That's my two cents and it's worth every penny of it!

Semper Fi!
Budman_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TaDa » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:19 pm

Another reason that I set my league to 2 weeks per round of playoffs.
TaDa
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 100)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:22 am

Any Given Sunday. That's what makes this game so great and frustrating at times. I mean Houston beat Indy today! That's why they play playoff games and give teams a chance to pull off the upset. That's also why the BCS sucks and I'll NEVER really get into college football until they have a playoff system that gives more than 2 teams a chance.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby scrumtalecent » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:18 pm

Exactly, flotsamnjetsam. I'm not sure Pittsburgh was that much better than the three teams they beat, but no one's taking the trophy from them.

I feel like Pittsburgh in a way, since I was the sixth seed, beat the best team not on a bye, beat the champion of the last 2 years and then beat the team with P. Manning, LT2, Harrison, and Gonzalez.

I feel for you though, Budman. We have someone in our league who has won it before, but in the last 4 years, he came in second to me, lost in the second round the next year, the SB the next year, and the second round this year. I don't feel for him as much since I won it all again, but keep at it. You'll eventually catch the breaks like I did...I won by less than 2 points with LT2 not scoring a TD and T. Glenn and M. Barber3 getting less than 2 points each. Long live Frank Gore!!
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Fobulous » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:23 pm

obviously, the players you have are not the best this season, they might look awesome on paper beginning of the season, but like many said here that's why they play the game at any given sunday or saturday or Thursday! :)

FWIW, my team sucks on paper but i just beat a team with Larry Johnson and Chad Johnson and other high profile players.
Fobulous Beginner
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby JWB » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:35 pm

I was the #4 seed going into the playoffs, and won the title. I finished 8-5 in the regular season with Maroney and Jones Drew as my main RB's most weeks (drafted Edge and JJ #1 and #3 respectively... both were useless all year, until the end, when Edge gave me two servicable games in place of maroney - I traded JJ for Chad J right before Chad J exploded.)

Key FA pickups of Colston, Jones Drew, and Leon Washington helped, as did Peyton having a nice year (justifying that second round pick). And Plax... nothing spectacular, but he seemed to catch a TD every week. Very very consistent. Cotchery was someone I drafted as well, and he had a few good games for me when I put him in (being a Jets fan, I felt he'd have a nice year with a new coach)

I beat teams with far better players overall by being quicker on the free agents available, and having more players that just didn't tank. I played matchups instead of just "play your studs" (Peyton and Plax were my only every week starters.)

I beat the LT owner last week in the semi's because he was starting Mike Anderson in his flex, and Greg Lewis (Phil) as one of his receivers. See what I mean about my being quicker on the FA's :)
JWB
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Budman_ffc » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:21 pm

Like I said above...at least I have gotten there every year. I feel like I had the best team overall in my league and the records will agree. I had an 11-2 record which was two games better than the next best team so that stands upon it's own merits. As far as picking up free agents my league isn't as flexible as some. Our league does waivers each night with the waiver order based upon records. I lead the regular season wire to wire which put me last on the order...not too easy to pick up FA's at #10. Not really bitchin or complaining...just venting a bit of steam is all. After all, when you can't get a single TD from LT, Westy, S. Smith, T. Holt or Gates you know you are in trouble! !+)
That's my two cents and it's worth every penny of it!

Semper Fi!
Budman_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby JWB » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:53 pm

Budman_ffc wrote:As far as picking up free agents my league isn't as flexible as some. Our league does waivers each night with the waiver order based upon records.

Ok, yea, that would have hurt me :)
JWB
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:10 pm

scrumtalecent wrote:Exactly, flotsamnjetsam. I'm not sure Pittsburgh was that much better than the three teams they beat, but no one's taking the trophy from them.

they beat 4 :-?
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby twofoolwho » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:21 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
scrumtalecent wrote:Exactly, flotsamnjetsam. I'm not sure Pittsburgh was that much better than the three teams they beat, but no one's taking the trophy from them.

they beat 4 :-?

Maybe he doesn't consider Seattle a team because they are in the NFC? lol.
twofoolwho
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting