Shawne Merriman for Defensive MVP? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Shawne Merriman for Defensive MVP?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Shawne Merriman for Defensive MVP?

Postby cardiac cats » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:17 pm

The title says it all. I know Urlacher and Maybe Julius Peppers have a stake at this, but every time I see the Chargers on defense, Merriman is always causing havoc. He leads the league in sacks and is the main defensive spark out there in SD. Almost scary considering he's missed 4 games. Any thoughts? Do you think the suspension will loom over his chances?
cardiac cats
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:42 pm

If Shawn Merriman wins the Defensive MVP I will never watch another NFL game in my life.

It would be a travesty if a steroid using lowlife like Merriman won an award like that. The fact is this dirty cheater missed four games because he used steroids and then couldn't even be a man and admit it was his fault. The NFL needs tougher policies, IMO- if this were track he would be banned for life, so why should he win a defensive MVP? :-t
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby terpfan » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:08 pm

sportsaddict wrote:If Shawn Merriman wins the Defensive MVP I will never watch another NFL game in my life.

It would be a travesty if a steroid using lowlife like Merriman won an award like that. The fact is this dirty cheater missed four games because he used steroids and then couldn't even be a man and admit it was his fault. The NFL needs tougher policies, IMO- if this were track he would be banned for life, so why should he win a defensive MVP? :-t

You know nothing about Shawne Merriman. He's been an upstanding guy throughout his college and pro careers. He's extremely hard working and always gives back to the community. You know what he was doing during his suspension? He was in New Orleans doing charity work. He runs an annual coat drive at the University of Maryland for needy families. So he made one mistake, it very well could have just been a mistake. It's pretty damn impossible to argue that the steroids made him what he is considering he's had 7 sacks in 4 games since returning from the suspension. Calling him a "lowlife" is ignorant and insulting.

Now, I dont think or expect he should win the MVP because he got suspended, I will give you that. But he definitely deserves it and I wouldnt mind seeing him win it. But even if he doesnt I expect him to win multiples MVPs over his career so I wont fret it.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mbuser » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:43 pm

i would seriously hope the guy doesn't win that award in the same season he's suspended for steroid use, regardless of his involvement in his community

don't really want to get into all this, but it's on topic for the most part .. it's funny how, in baseball, users are the bane of existence, while in football the day after a guys suspension is up, it's like nothing ever happened (and he's going to the pro bowl)
add your performance history to the Yahoo! fantasy profile registry
mbuser
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Crippler » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:45 pm

terpfan wrote:
sportsaddict wrote:If Shawn Merriman wins the Defensive MVP I will never watch another NFL game in my life.

You know nothing about Shawne Merriman. He's been an upstanding guy throughout his college and pro careers. He's extremely hard working and always gives back to the community. You know what he was doing during his suspension? He was in New Orleans doing charity work. He runs an annual coat drive at the University of Maryland for needy families. So he made one mistake, it very well could have just been a mistake. It's pretty damn impossible to argue that the steroids made him what he is considering he's had 7 sacks in 4 games since returning from the suspension. Calling him a "lowlife" is ignorant and insulting.

Now, I dont think or expect he should win the MVP because he got suspended, I will give you that. But he definitely deserves it and I wouldnt mind seeing him win it. But even if he doesnt I expect him to win multiples MVPs over his career so I wont fret it.

well put

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby mweir145 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:46 pm

I personally find it amazing that a guy that was suspended for steroids made the Pro Bowl, but maybe that's just me.
mweir145
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Sweet 16 Survivor

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:52 pm

mbuser wrote:i would seriously hope the guy doesn't win that award in the same season he's suspended for steroid use, regardless of his involvement in his community

don't really want to get into all this, but it's on topic for the most part .. it's funny how, in baseball, users are the bane of existence, while in football the day after a guys suspension is up, it's like nothing ever happened (and he's going to the pro bowl)

I agree completley. Baseball players who have used steroids have their reputations destroyed and lose all their credibilty as a player, and that's the way it should be. Yet Shawn Merriman gets suspended and nobody really cares. I think with all the problems Major League Baseball has had with steroids, it overshadows the NFL's own problems with steroid use. Its a really bad sign that one of the up and coming stars of this league was suspended for steroids.

It's great that he does work in the community, but you just can't dismiss something like steroid abuse just because he's been an upstanding guy in the community. I really don't think the NFL Defensive MVP should be given to a player who has been caught cheating.
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Goatwhacker » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:55 pm

I don't care if Merriman joined a monestary and adopted orphans, the guy cheated and he doesn't deserve the honor. Maybe he's done good things in other areas of his life but in this aspect he was ignorant and a dishonest cheater.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Postby terpfan » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:55 pm

terpfan wrote:Now, I dont think or expect he should win the MVP because he got suspended, I will give you that.

Everybody did read that right?

I was just objecting to the idea that Merriman is some sort of despicable human being. Thats not at all true. It sucks that people will label him as such for mixing in an illegal supplement with the approved ones, when its obvious he doesn't need it to succeed. He is just a hell of a player and he will continue to prove that.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:59 pm

On the steroids issue, I'll wait to see if he's got an appeal going through. The NFL's steroid policy is very stringent, suspending people for really crappy things (2 years ago I believe an offensive lineman tested positive because he was taking weight loss pills, and well, that's not cheating).

As for defensive MVP, while Merriman is one heck of a beast of a player, I don't think he deserves it. He gets the hype, but overshadows an even better LB on SD, Donnie Edwards. How this man continues to rack up numbers only Zach Thomas can match, playing in a 3-4 like Thomas where high tackle totals are harder to achieve, and has not gotten a single Pro Bowl is beyond me.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk