Shawne Merriman for Defensive MVP? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Shawne Merriman for Defensive MVP?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby terpfan » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:23 pm

maddog60 wrote:On the steroids issue, I'll wait to see if he's got an appeal going through. The NFL's steroid policy is very stringent, suspending people for really crappy things (2 years ago I believe an offensive lineman tested positive because he was taking weight loss pills, and well, that's not cheating).

As for defensive MVP, while Merriman is one heck of a beast of a player, I don't think he deserves it. He gets the hype, but overshadows an even better LB on SD, Donnie Edwards. How this man continues to rack up numbers only Zach Thomas can match, playing in a 3-4 like Thomas where high tackle totals are harder to achieve, and has not gotten a single Pro Bowl is beyond me.

I dont know why he would appeal it after he allready served the suspension. He was going to appeal it at first, but dropped the appeal because if he lost he would have missed both Denver games instead of just one (I think thats right)

And Edwards is very good (hard to believe hes never made a pro bowl) but he's not better than Merriman. Especially not now that he's in the twilight of his career. He's very productive, but he doesnt change the game like Shawne does.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:39 pm

terpfan wrote:
maddog60 wrote:On the steroids issue, I'll wait to see if he's got an appeal going through. The NFL's steroid policy is very stringent, suspending people for really crappy things (2 years ago I believe an offensive lineman tested positive because he was taking weight loss pills, and well, that's not cheating).

As for defensive MVP, while Merriman is one heck of a beast of a player, I don't think he deserves it. He gets the hype, but overshadows an even better LB on SD, Donnie Edwards. How this man continues to rack up numbers only Zach Thomas can match, playing in a 3-4 like Thomas where high tackle totals are harder to achieve, and has not gotten a single Pro Bowl is beyond me.

I dont know why he would appeal it after he allready served the suspension. He was going to appeal it at first, but dropped the appeal because if he lost he would have missed both Denver games instead of just one (I think thats right)

And Edwards is very good (hard to believe hes never made a pro bowl) but he's not better than Merriman. Especially not now that he's in the twilight of his career. He's very productive, but he doesnt change the game like Shawne does.

While Merriman is great at generating pressure and sacking the QB, I don't think he influences the game as much as ESPN certainly wants us to believe. Note that Shaun Phillips has almost identical production (slightly less per game). It's hard to say that Merriman is that game changing when Phillips has nearly identical stats.

Edwards may not generate as many highlights, but high tackle totals are a staple of LBs. Merriman averages about 5 tackles a game, which isn't bad, but Edwards has been a perennial top LB and still is. He's currently 7th in total tackles, finishing 4th, 2th, and 3rd the prior 3 years. He still generates a decent number of turnovers and a few sacks (which are harder for ILBs to come by just by defensive schem). The gap may be closer, but I still contend he's the real force holding that defense together.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby terpfan » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:00 am

Merriman is an OLB in a 3-4. Thats not a tackle generating position. He's basically a standup DE with more range. All you have to do is watch the games to see the impact Merriman has. The stats dont even show all the pressures, double teams, and pass breakups he creates. They are both great players, and maybe ESPN hypes up Merriman a bit, but you cant really blame them. He is a flashy, MVP-caliber player on a great team. Better him than Romo anyway. :-)

BTW a large part of the reason why has those numbers is because Merriman is on the other side. The Chargers easily have the best front seven in the NFL, and its almost all recently drafted talent too. Merriman, Phillips, Castillo, Olshansky... Makes me jealous as a Skins fan.
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Vixtor » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:15 am

I'd have to say Champ Bailey is the defensive MVP. He's the only shutdown corner that exists IMO. Given how the rules are stacked against corners and what he manages to do every week, simply amazing.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Athrun340 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:18 am

the guy on my sig will win the mvp defensive player of the year .. all merimann does is get sacks ..

if you go by sacks then kampman should also win the accolade

ok now here's the reason why jason taylor should win the award

53 tackles
12.5 sacks
2 INT return for TD
8 PD

all around performance .. just filling the stats in every category like LT

and hes the reason why the dolphins won 4 in a row..
Athrun340
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Athrun340 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:22 am

mbuser wrote:i would seriously hope the guy doesn't win that award in the same season he's suspended for steroid use, regardless of his involvement in his community

don't really want to get into all this, but it's on topic for the most part .. it's funny how, in baseball, users are the bane of existence, while in football the day after a guys suspension is up, it's like nothing ever happened (and he's going to the pro bowl)

barry bonds = not even proven a steroid user but already hated by millions

shawne merriman = already proven a steroid user yet people still like him

pfft .. just because their team is winning pff..
Athrun340
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:14 am

Athrun340 wrote:barry bonds = not even proven a steroid user but already hated by millions

Barry Bonds: "I used them, I just didn't know what they were." I'm paraphrasing, but if that wasn't an admission of guilt, I don't know what is. Not only that, it was a slap in the face to all baseball in that he thought they were stupid enough to believe he didn't realize what they were. Not to mention the physical evidence plainly visible.

As for Merriman, do we even know what substance he took that violated policy, or better yet, what it does to the body? I'm not saying he's definitely innocent, but it would certainly help to find out the details before comparing his actions to a Bonds, Romanowski, MacGuire, etc.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Athrun340 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:24 pm

maddog60 wrote:
Athrun340 wrote:barry bonds = not even proven a steroid user but already hated by millions

Barry Bonds: "I used them, I just didn't know what they were." I'm paraphrasing, but if that wasn't an admission of guilt, I don't know what is. Not only that, it was a slap in the face to all baseball in that he thought they were stupid enough to believe he didn't realize what they were. Not to mention the physical evidence plainly visible.

As for Merriman, do we even know what substance he took that violated policy, or better yet, what it does to the body? I'm not saying he's definitely innocent, but it would certainly help to find out the details before comparing his actions to a Bonds, Romanowski, MacGuire, etc.

..and merriman winning the nfl defensive player of the year isnt a slap to the NFL?

Merry Christmas.. ;-D
Athrun340
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby maddog60 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:30 pm

Athrun340 wrote:..and merriman winning the nfl defensive player of the year isnt a slap to the NFL?

Merry Christmas.. ;-D

Oh, I'm arguing against merriman as Defensive MVP, but not based on his suspension which I for one don't know the full details about. If someone could point to a source that could verify the substance we was using is actually a performance enhancing steroid, then yes, I'd agreement the argument that a cheater does not deserve MVP. I've just read enough cases where a guy got suspended for substances that weren't performance enhancers I have to question this one as well as any others without complete facts.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Athrun340 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:58 pm

maddog60 wrote:
Athrun340 wrote:..and merriman winning the nfl defensive player of the year isnt a slap to the NFL?

Merry Christmas.. ;-D

Oh, I'm arguing against merriman as Defensive MVP, but not based on his suspension which I for one don't know the full details about. If someone could point to a source that could verify the substance we was using is actually a performance enhancing steroid, then yes, I'd agreement the argument that a cheater does not deserve MVP. I've just read enough cases where a guy got suspended for substances that weren't performance enhancers I have to question this one as well as any others without complete facts.

oh my bad .. i didnt notice your previous post

you got a point tho about merriman's suspension .. ahh my fault i just assumed that it was steroids .. i forgot ricky williams got suspended because of some medicine but it wasnt steroids

..again happy holidays ;-D
Athrun340
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk