Shawne Merriman for Defensive MVP? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Shawne Merriman for Defensive MVP?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Goatwhacker » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:05 pm

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:
- I believe someone was suspended this year because what ever he was using for asthma or some other illness caused a positive test.

That was Hollis Thomas, who claimed he tested positive for clenbuterol, which is not a steroid but IS a performance-enhancing drug. Clenbuterol is not sold legally in the US for human usage.

Thomas said all his asthma meds caused a false positive but we really have no idea if that is true or not.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby twofoolwho » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:47 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:Why does that amaze you? Ray Lewis won the MVP of the Super Bowl less than 1 year after he was on trial for murder.

was he guilty of that? was merriman guilty of using steroids?

seems like two different things to me.

MVP and Superbowl MVP are very different. There is only a limited number of players you could give the MVP to, and Ray Lewis was the obvious choice. If anyone else had gotten the Superbowl MVP that year, it would have been meaningless. Meanwhile, with Defensive MVP of the year, there are many choices that can be made... Merriman shouldn't be one of them.

For the record, though, I'm sure that Ray Lewis got away with one on that one, and have hated the guy with a passion since. It is why I always root against the Ravens.
twofoolwho
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:59 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:
disgruntledjetsfan wrote:
- I believe someone was suspended this year because what ever he was using for asthma or some other illness caused a positive test.

That was Hollis Thomas, who claimed he tested positive for clenbuterol, which is not a steroid but IS a performance-enhancing drug. Clenbuterol is not sold legally in the US for human usage.

Thomas said all his asthma meds caused a false positive but we really have no idea if that is true or not.

ah, ok, thanks for clearing that up.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby J2thez929 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:10 pm

I'm not a fan of players that cheat in order to accomplish their goals and/or win awards in their repective sport. So therefore, I dont think Merriman should get this award at all this year. Maybe next year and the year after if he stays clean b/c he has all the talent to do so.
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk