What is the common/standard Tie Breaker for Playoffs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

What is the common/standard Tie Breaker for Playoffs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

What is the common/standard Tie Breaker for Playoffs?

Postby Tusin » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:11 pm

I am in a tie and we have no players left. We use ESPN and the score almost always changes a little bit over night. But I did the math the for our last two players (I had Garcia he had Glenn) and the score should be staying the same. Anyways, just curious on what is the norm for tiebreakers in the playoffs?
Tusin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:20 pm

It really depends. I think in all my leagues (all 7 were hosted by yahoo :-t ) this year we decided to use the yahoo default tiebreaker system. Here's their system:

yahoo default tiebreaker system wrote:In the event that a playoff game ends in a tie, the deadlock will be broken using the following system:

1. Most touchdowns scored by entire starting roster.
2. Most fantasy points by starting quarterback(s).
3. Most fantasy points by starting defensive team(s).
4. Most fantasy points by starting defensive player(s).
5. Most fantasy points by starting defensive back(s).
6. Most fantasy points by starting defensive linemen.
7. Most fantasy points by starting wide receiver(s).
8. Most fantasy points by starting running back(s).
9. Most fantasy points by starting tight end(s).
10. Most fantasy points by starting kicker(s).
11. Random "coin flip".

I've also seen leagues use most overall points during the regular season, most bench points for the playoff game, head to head record in the regular season, and many other tiebreakers. The key is to have a tiebreaker system set before the season starts. Ties are rare but you need to be prepared if & when they happen.

Good luck!

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Tusin » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:26 pm

Yeah I thought it was Bench points for us. And it is, in the regular season! In the playoffs I just found that we use points for the whole season. So unless espn changes something I lose. I think it is bs tho. It's the playoffs. The only thing that the regular season should have to do with this, is that we are in the playoffs lol. Actually I got beat by "home field" advantage. The "home" team gets 5 bonus points. So even tho my team did better. He wins.... I am going to have to talk to the commish about this. Maybe change it for next year.
Tusin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:33 pm

Tusin wrote:Yeah I thought it was Bench points for us. And it is, in the regular season! In the playoffs I just found that we use points for the whole season. So unless espn changes something I lose. I think it is bs tho. It's the playoffs. The only thing that the regular season should have to do with this, is that we are in the playoffs lol. Actually I got beat by "home field" advantage. The "home" team gets 5 bonus points. So even tho my team did better. He wins.... I am going to have to talk to the commish about this. Maybe change it for next year.

Yeah, giving the "home" team 5 points is total BS dude. Whoever thought of that rule should really have their head examined. :-t

flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tusin » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:38 pm

Yeah but we have had it all year. But no game has ever been decided upon it. And now that one is (and of course it has to be mine), I put out the better team, but I lose....
Tusin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:42 pm

Just heard of another way to break ties. My friend is in a league where they each have to pick one of their bench players as the tiebreaker.

I understand that you can't change the rules now and that you've had the 5 points for the "home" team all year. I'm just saying that that is a VERY stupid rule. Makes absolutely no sense and I'd never play in a league that did that.

flotsamnjetsam

Postby Tusin » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:54 pm

Yeah I am chatting with the Commish, and he thought it was Bench points in the playoffs like it was in the regular season.
Tusin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:58 pm

Tusin wrote:Yeah I am chatting with the Commish, and he thought it was Bench points in the playoffs like it was in the regular season.

If the commish thinks its bench points...how is it not bench points? :-?

And make sure that you tell him that giving 5 free points to any team for any reason is just plain ridiculous! Play the game on the field like its supposed to be played.

flotsamnjetsam

Postby Tusin » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:10 pm

Cause it is a custom ESPN league. I think cause he changed it to bench points, but didn't or forgot to change it for the playoffs games. But the thing with ESPN, for whatever reason, the score at the end of the game, hardley ever is the same score the next day.
Tusin
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 11:49 pm

Actually, I understand why people have the "home field" advantage.

It's because there is a homefield advantge in real-life. Hence, if you really want to keep Fantasy football as realistic as possible, you would want to put some sort of benefit in to playing at home.

Not that I definitely agree with this; just explaining why peopel might do it.
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk