How Do I break This Tie? (Commish Question) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How Do I break This Tie? (Commish Question)

Moderator: Football Moderators

How Do I break This Tie? (Commish Question)

Postby SewerRat22 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:44 pm

Two teams in my league have officially tied for week 16. The winner goes on to play for the championship next week. Since next week is the last week... do I have no choice but to break this tie? If so... what what be the fairest way ?

Or is it possible to just allow all 3 teams to play next week and award the highest point total as the winner? (money league)

Advise... opinions... are desperately needed. This is my first year as a commissioner... not really sure how to handle this... Thanks!!
SewerRat22
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How Do I break This Tie? (Commish Question)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:47 pm

SewerRat22 wrote:Two teams in my league have officially tied for week 16. The winner goes on to play for the championship next week. Since next week is the last week... do I have no choice but to break this tie? If so... what what be the fairest way ?

Or is it possible to just allow all 3 teams to play next week and award the highest point total as the winner? (money league)

Advise... opinions... are desperately needed. This is my first year as a commissioner... not really sure how to handle this... Thanks!!

Well obviously it sounds like you didn't have a tiebreaker system in place and unfortunately that was a mistake.

I'd do what you said and let all 3 teams play each other in the SB. I think that since you didn't have a tiebreaker in place that you can't just make something up now. Then I'd have the league vote on a tiebreaker system before the SB just in case the same thing happens next week.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slowride » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:56 pm

It's hard to believe you didn't have a tiebreaker in place, but it is what it is. You have to let all 3 play at this point, and whoever scores the most points wins.

For the future, however, have the tiebreaker be total points, regular season record, or w/e but have something.
Slowride is burning.
slowride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Vixtor » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:32 pm

Total points in the regular season should count for something.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:36 pm

you gotta let all 3 play, but you need to get a tiebreaker system put in place next season
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby programatik » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:01 am

as noted by most the points above, if you do not have a tie breaker in place already than there is no way you can enforce one at this point. you let all three teams play and the most points takes all.

but before next season is would be VERY wise to create a tie breaker system. For my league, it starts with their Head-2-Head record. If that doesn't work than it goes to total points, then record against seeds #1, #2, #3. If by some crazy miracle there is still a tie, they get a coin flip.
programatik
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby crapshooter » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:03 pm

Our tie breaker in the playoffs is go to total yardage of each team's active roster. IF that's a tie go to their reserve's yardage. We've never had a tie in the playoffs in 15 years.
crapshooter
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby niblet » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:28 pm

This is unfair for the other semifinal winner as he will have to be going up against 2 other teams when he should only be going up against one. :-t It doubles his chance of losing.
niblet
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:15 pm

crapshooter wrote:Our tie breaker in the playoffs is go to total yardage of each team's active roster. IF that's a tie go to their reserve's yardage. We've never had a tie in the playoffs in 15 years.

True, but without a tiebreaker system in place you HAVE to let all 3 play in the finals. There is no other way. You can't just make up a tiebreaker in week 16 and eliminate one of those teams. And you can't blame the commish alone on this one. He should've had a tiebreaker system in place but 1 of the other owners should have spoken up and said "hey, what about a tiebreaker system".

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:19 am

Gotta let all 3 play...that being said, it really surprises me that not 1 owner preseason thought to bring up the issue of a tiebreaker.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk