How Do I break This Tie? (Commish Question) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

How Do I break This Tie? (Commish Question)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Infidel » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:34 am

I can't believe all these people saying all 3 should play for the SB. How unfair could it be to the third team to have to beat 2 teams to win? It's not his fault the other 2 tied, yet he has to face this huge handicap? Rediculous, and I would quit your league in a heartbeat and demand 1/2 the SB pot.

Calculate the decimal scoring for the teams that tied. You will have a winner and it will have been decided by the teams both put on the field. What could be fairer?
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 287
Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Vixtor » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:36 am

Infidel wrote:Calculate the decimal scoring for the teams that tied. You will have a winner and it will have been decided by the teams both put on the field. What could be fairer?

Good point. Everyone should have fractional scoring for this reason alone.
The facts have no meaning.
Vixtor
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1328
Joined: 15 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Postby icepak » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:28 am

Infidel wrote:I can't believe all these people saying all 3 should play for the SB. How unfair could it be to the third team to have to beat 2 teams to win? It's not his fault the other 2 tied, yet he has to face this huge handicap? Rediculous, and I would quit your league in a heartbeat and demand 1/2 the SB pot.

Calculate the decimal scoring for the teams that tied. You will have a winner and it will have been decided by the teams both put on the field. What could be fairer?


Best answer I've heard so far! ;-D
icepak
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 35
Joined: 1 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:44 am

slowride wrote:It's hard to believe you didn't have a tiebreaker in place, but it is what it is. You have to let all 3 play at this point, and whoever scores the most points wins.

For the future, however, have the tiebreaker be total points, regular season record, or w/e but have something.


Considering this league also plays its Championship game in Week 17 - AKA "Fantasy Irrelevance Week" it's not all that hard to believe there was no tie-breaker in place...

As it is - go to fractional scoring to determine the winner.
Image
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 3441
Joined: 27 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Montreal

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:46 am

icepak wrote:
Infidel wrote:I can't believe all these people saying all 3 should play for the SB. How unfair could it be to the third team to have to beat 2 teams to win? It's not his fault the other 2 tied, yet he has to face this huge handicap? Rediculous, and I would quit your league in a heartbeat and demand 1/2 the SB pot.

Calculate the decimal scoring for the teams that tied. You will have a winner and it will have been decided by the teams both put on the field. What could be fairer?


Best answer I've heard so far! ;-D


I agree, excellent response, I am going to hafta switch my opinion to this one. I agree completely.
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Postby Infidel » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:11 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
icepak wrote:
Infidel wrote:I can't believe all these people saying all 3 should play for the SB. How unfair could it be to the third team to have to beat 2 teams to win? It's not his fault the other 2 tied, yet he has to face this huge handicap? Rediculous, and I would quit your league in a heartbeat and demand 1/2 the SB pot.

Calculate the decimal scoring for the teams that tied. You will have a winner and it will have been decided by the teams both put on the field. What could be fairer?


Best answer I've heard so far! ;-D


I agree, excellent response, I am going to hafta switch my opinion to this one. I agree completely.


TY to all those who agree with this solution.

That said, I would have to amend it slightly. If I were asked to play both teams, I would demand either 2/3 the SB pot based on the fact that I am beings asked to beat 2 teams or, 1/2 the SB pot and 1/2 the 2nd place prize (which ever was more $) and quit.

Last, if the original poster needs help calculating decimal scoring I offer my assistance.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 287
Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby twofoolwho » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:01 pm

Infidel wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
icepak wrote:
Infidel wrote:I can't believe all these people saying all 3 should play for the SB. How unfair could it be to the third team to have to beat 2 teams to win? It's not his fault the other 2 tied, yet he has to face this huge handicap? Rediculous, and I would quit your league in a heartbeat and demand 1/2 the SB pot.

Calculate the decimal scoring for the teams that tied. You will have a winner and it will have been decided by the teams both put on the field. What could be fairer?


Best answer I've heard so far! ;-D


I agree, excellent response, I am going to hafta switch my opinion to this one. I agree completely.


TY to all those who agree with this solution.

That said, I would have to amend it slightly. If I were asked to play both teams, I would demand either 2/3 the SB pot based on the fact that I am beings asked to beat 2 teams or, 1/2 the SB pot and 1/2 the 2nd place prize (which ever was more $) and quit.

Last, if the original poster needs help calculating decimal scoring I offer my assistance.


Heck, that would make things easy. If your quiting, you'd get nothing and like it. Then the two who tied can duke it out for the pot. lol.
twofoolwho
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 185
Joined: 14 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Postby slowride » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:33 pm

I don't think you can change the way you're scoring games at this point. If thats the case then you should go back and do that with all the ties throughout the season to see who really won. That could change the playoff landscape...etc, etc.

Changing any rules at this point is ridiculous and completely unfair. You do the best you can with the mess you've created which is just let all 3 play. It's not anyones fault that two teams tied. So if the one that didn't tie wants to have a hissy fit, demand half the pot, and refuse to play any more....so be it.
Slowride is burning.
slowride
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 570
Joined: 26 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Texas

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:57 pm

your league didnt have decimal scoring at the beginning of the year, and there's no way you can use it as a tiebreaker if you didnt do so in advance. all 3 teams still need to play for the title.
Image
Image
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 11906
Joined: 15 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Crippler » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:26 pm

niblet wrote:This is unfair for the other semifinal winner as he will have to be going up against 2 other teams when he should only be going up against one. :-t It doubles his chance of losing.


1/2= 50%
1/3= 33%

Three-way dance is the only way to resolve it. Its stupid not to have a tie breaker rule in a league because it happens so often. But you cant make one up at this point.
Image

"Cincinatti leads the league in 'Johnsons'" - John Madden

$$$ Leagues $$$
ChaunFL: 11-5 *2nd Place*
BGKFL: 15-1 *Champion*
Dirty Dukes: 12-5 *2nd Place*
Win %: 77.55
Crippler
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1946
(Past Year: 8)
Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 6:51 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact