Eric Mangini, Jets
28%
Other
12%

Total votes : 65

Coach of The Year

Postby DbacksAllTheWay » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:40 am

Please explain.
Last edited by DbacksAllTheWay on Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
DbacksAllTheWay
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:51 am

Voted for Mangini just based on the talent these 2 teams have. Taking nothing away from Payton, but he has one of the best offenses in the league thanks mainly to 3 guys they didn't have last year (Brees, Bush, & Colston). Any other year Payton wins in a landslide.

But what Mangini has done with the Jets this year is absolutely unreal. 1st they change from the 4-3 to the 3-4 and lose John Abraham. CMart doesn't play at all so he goes basically with 4 RB's. Not many people thought Pennington could come back the way he did. The Jets O is ranked 23rd and their D is ranked 28th and they still are 9-6? What Payton did was great but what Mangini did this year was unreal and if he doesn't win something is very wrong.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Jimboozie » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:56 am

Payton but I think Art Shell and Rod Marinelli deserve a spot on this poll.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:19 am

I voted for Mangini. Though Payton certainly did a fine job this season, I think Mangini did more with far less talent. He loses Curtis Martin for the year, doesn't have much talent anywhere on the field at any position and somehow manages to get his team to a place where they could sneak into the playoffs. Unreal. Everyone bought into his plan and stepped up their game in a big way. Mangenius. ;-D
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:37 am

I chose Payton.

My reasoning is last year the Saints plain sucked. They picked up a solid free agent in Brees and drafted 2 awesome Rookies.

Mangina had his chance on draft day and failed. His team did well but who have they really beat.

Pats whom they are 1-1 against.

Other than that they beat:
Tenn
Miami x2
Buff
Detroit
Houston
GB
Minny

Not really a tough schedule in my eyes. I'll bet it rivals the easiest schedule in the league actually.

Payton hands down. Traded well. Drafted well. Coached well. I hated to lose the guy but am glad he is doing well.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

these

Postby DbacksAllTheWay » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:41 am

These two guys are obviously the front runners, but Andy Reid has done pretty well. They have played extremely well since the loss of McNabb. I don't know if this could really be attributed to Reid, but he did a great job managing Westbrook this year, which has really been the key to success. They also beat Dallas twice which was huge.
DbacksAllTheWay
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Amazing Oopah » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:01 am

no love for Jeff Fisher? :-? If you had told anyone that the Titans would be at 8-7 before the seasons started, you would have been committed to a sanitarium.

And I think Sean Payton will win it and deservedly so. ;-D
Amazing Oopah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby codered7 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:13 am

Paytons gonna win cause not only did he save the saints, but he saved a city :/...

I think Mangini is more deserving tho...I never thought anyone from our division would make the playoffs, let alone beat us(pats). They made me worry a lil...very lil for our playoff chances. If Jets make the playoffs Mangini should really get it because he adapted to change and fixed his team. Sean Payton had the #1 pick and a great qb in Brees, he's a great coach...but he has great help.
thnx madaslives911 fo the sig! you da man!

Ochenta y Cinco! Who?
Ochenta y Cinco! Who?
Ocho Cinco Biatch! O ok.
codered7
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 10)

Postby J2thez929 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:06 am

Sean Payton. No doubt. Amazing year and story ;-D
J2thez929
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby maddog60 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:12 am

Mangini did a fantastic job working with a core of talent no one though could finish even respectably, but I had to vote Payton. Think of all the problems that team had:

1) They were mediocre
2) They had no home stadium yet (it was widely acknowledged they could face challenges luring free agents over due to this)
3) They had a lot of community pressure to perform

Payton found a way to bring in key free agents such as Brees and Fujita, in fact the Saints brought in through FA and draft 30-something new players. This is a team that lost Darren Howard and Lecharles Bentley and actually got better along both lines. And one of the key reason I voted for Payton is that his team very likely to make it to the super bowl.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Football Talk