Sean Payton, Saints
60%
Eric Mangini, Jets
28%
Other
12%

Total votes : 65

Postby Yellowbird » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:16 am

Payton- He cleared house and had 1/2 of his locker room empty. There hasn't been a winning tradition in NO for so many years. The Jets have been competitive since the turn of the century, while the Saints have not.

It's one thing to do well with a lousy team, it's another more impressive to turn a losing culture around to believe it can win.

(Yeah, where is Art Shell? It also takes a big man to so little with so much)

Thanks to madaslives911 for the Sig.
Yellowbird
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Coach of The Year

Postby ateam » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:42 pm

DbacksAllTheWay wrote:Please explain.

LOL, what part don't you understand?? :-?

Anyways, Payton probably, but I would've added others to the ballot.
Certainly Fisher, Schottzy, Lovie, Reid to name a few.
ateam
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Atog » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:47 pm

Rod Marinelli: He turned the Lions around!!!!!! ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby cordscords » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:51 pm

I don't like him, but I think Mike McCarthy gets some consideration of GB sneaks in the playoffs.
cordscords
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan513 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:51 pm

i think mangini deserves it more, but there's no way payton wont win it.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:10 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:Voted for Mangini just based on the talent these 2 teams have. Taking nothing away from Payton, but he has one of the best offenses in the league thanks mainly to 3 guys they didn't have last year (Brees, Bush, & Colston). Any other year Payton wins in a landslide.

But what Mangini has done with the Jets this year is absolutely unreal. 1st they change from the 4-3 to the 3-4 and lose John Abraham. CMart doesn't play at all so he goes basically with 4 RB's. Not many people thought Pennington could come back the way he did. The Jets O is ranked 23rd and their D is ranked 28th and they still are 9-6? What Payton did was great but what Mangini did this year was unreal and if he doesn't win something is very wrong.

^^ Couldn't have said it any better myself ;-D

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Mangina had his chance on draft day and failed.

Didn't Terry Bradshaw do the draft for the Jets? I don't think Mangini was the Coach during the draft???
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:47 pm

I voted for Payton as well. Basically, because of what others have said, like their improvement from their record last year, beating expectations, and good replacement players via draft and free agency after clearing out 2/3 of the roster.

Mangini did a good job also, but the improvement his team did doesn't seem as great as the Saints. They did switch to a new defensive scheme and all, but their player turnover from last year wasn't as big as the Saints either. But he should come in second to Payton.

I've also heard the talking heads on ESPN mention SD's Schotty as a candidate because he built on his team's success after switching to Rivers and the improved play of his defense, but I don't think he fits really, not when he has LdT to take the load of whatever QB is taking snaps.

And to put in my homer two cents (LOL) if Lovie Smith takes the Bears into the SuperBowl, he should get some consideration. He's been the model of improvement since he took over the head coaching position in Chicago. Then again, I'm not too certain when the NFL gives out the awards for the year, so he may miss out on consideration for COTY no matter how the Bears fare in the playoffs.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby maddog60 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:08 pm

beanoX3 wrote:And to put in my homer two cents (LOL) if Lovie Smith takes the Bears into the SuperBowl, he should get some consideration. He's been the model of improvement since he took over the head coaching position in Chicago. Then again, I'm not too certain when the NFL gives out the awards for the year, so he may miss out on consideration for COTY no matter how the Bears fare in the playoffs.

I think Lovie got CotY last year for how he turned around the Bears, and rightfully so. If he didnt he certainly deserves recognition at some point for what he's done in Chicago, but this year in particular, while Lovie is a top coach, he's not the top coach.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby GreatestShowOnEarth » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:18 pm

I voted for sean payton. The Saints have been down right horrible the last few years. Payton brought in some of "his" players and drafted very well. He turned the laughing stock of NFC into arguably the best team in the NFC. I dont understand how you can use the players that he brought in against him. Wasnt it his decision to sign Drew Brees( biggest FA move of the season) and draft Colston and Bush?
GreatestShowOnEarth
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:30 pm

maddog60 wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:And to put in my homer two cents (LOL) if Lovie Smith takes the Bears into the SuperBowl, he should get some consideration. He's been the model of improvement since he took over the head coaching position in Chicago. Then again, I'm not too certain when the NFL gives out the awards for the year, so he may miss out on consideration for COTY no matter how the Bears fare in the playoffs.

I think Lovie got CotY last year for how he turned around the Bears, and rightfully so. If he didnt he certainly deserves recognition at some point for what he's done in Chicago, but this year in particular, while Lovie is a top coach, he's not the top coach.

Yea, he got it last year. ;-D

My homer argument's only leg is if the award is given out after the SuperBowl and Lovie's Bears get there. Other than that, I know that there are more worthy candidates out there, lol.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk