Sean Payton, Saints
60%
Eric Mangini, Jets
28%
Other
12%

Total votes : 65

Postby Karoz » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:52 am

To me, the front runners are Sean Payton and Jeff Fisher.

Fisher - After starting out 0-5, he found a way to turn the team around. He has gotten his players motivated, and they have won 8 out of their last 10. He has gotten the offense to play better, and he has gotten the defense to play better. The Titans are a very young team, and only a coach of Fisher's caliber could motivate them, and help them to win against opponents that were expected to blow them out.

Payton - His acquisitions in the off-season were phenomenal, and he has definitely done a superb job of coaching. The Saints have locked up a first round bye, which is astonishing considering that most people expected them to get a maximum of 6 wins. He has done a great job, and I have a good feeling that they will be playing against the Chargers in the Super Bowl this year.
Karoz
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:50 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:i think mangini deserves it more, but there's no way payton wont win it.

Agreed. with the whole background story surrounding the Saints and New Orleans Payton will win (and I'm not taking anything anyway from what he's done with that team, which has been phenomenal), but for Mangini to have gotten the Jets to the brink of the playoffs (controlling their own destiny) makes him the COY in my opinion.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby eman » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:21 pm

People speak of Mangini and the Jets as if they had been awful for years past, but really they had one bad year last year mainly due to Penny (And Fielder) getting injured, and the years before that they were very similar to how they are this year. Mangini has merely managed to get them back to where they always have been as of late with Penny at the helm...he's a great coach and all, but what he's done pales in comparison to someone like Payton or Fisher straight out bringing a team to a whole new level of success.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:59 pm

Gotta go with Peyton especially since everything that happened to that city, not to mention that about the same was expected of each team preseason, and the Saints are simply better.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kilroy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:24 am

eman wrote:People speak of Mangini and the Jets as if they had been awful for years past, but really they had one bad year last year mainly due to Penny (And Fielder) getting injured, and the years before that they were very similar to how they are this year. Mangini has merely managed to get them back to where they always have been as of late with Penny at the helm...he's a great coach and all, but what he's done pales in comparison to someone like Payton or Fisher straight out bringing a team to a whole new level of success.

No offense to Jeff Fisher (a great coach), but how much of the Titans' success this year do you really think is attributable to him as opposed to say, a certain rookie QB? The Titans had what record before Young took the reins?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Infidel » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:31 am

It will be Payton simply due to media hype surrounding the whole NO situation.

But, my vote, unbelievable as it may seem, would be for Marinelli. He cut Rogers, benched FMW and for that Millen will get fired. Let's face it, anyone who can get Millen out of the NFL deserves some sort of award.
CheeseWhiz is a great substitute for plazma.
Infidel
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby skibrett15 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:55 am

Mangini makes ballsey calls week after week. He puts a ton of pressure on his decisions as opposed to his players. That said, these are both great coaches and you couldn't go wrong with either one.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby maddog60 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:16 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:
eman wrote:People speak of Mangini and the Jets as if they had been awful for years past, but really they had one bad year last year mainly due to Penny (And Fielder) getting injured, and the years before that they were very similar to how they are this year. Mangini has merely managed to get them back to where they always have been as of late with Penny at the helm...he's a great coach and all, but what he's done pales in comparison to someone like Payton or Fisher straight out bringing a team to a whole new level of success.

No offense to Jeff Fisher (a great coach), but how much of the Titans' success this year do you really think is attributable to him as opposed to say, a certain rookie QB? The Titans had what record before Young took the reins?

He is the man that went with Young instead of the Leinart, so I think he deserves a little credit for Young's success in leading the Titans. I think Fisher definitely deserves consideration. Most coaches when faced with a team looking as abysmal as the Titans did, usually don't survive just because its a rebuilding period, and since they were there during the winning years, pressure is higher. Fisher probably bought himself 2 more years with that draft pick, and various other key moves that seemed meaningless at the time (signing David Thorton and Chris Hope).

His draft pick Pacman Jones, and decision to acquire Travis Henry, both are coming up huge for the Titans this year. Fisher really has done a lot to turn around a dying powerhouse, especially considering the huge cap restrictions they've had the past two years.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kilroy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:26 am

maddog60 wrote:
Kilroy1872 wrote:

He is the man that went with Young instead of the Leinart, so I think he deserves a little credit for Young's success in leading the Titans. I think Fisher definitely deserves consideration. Most coaches when faced with a team looking as abysmal as the Titans did, usually don't survive just because its a rebuilding period, and since they were there during the winning years, pressure is higher. Fisher probably bought himself 2 more years with that draft pick, and various other key moves that seemed meaningless at the time (signing David Thorton and Chris Hope).

His draft pick Pacman Jones, and decision to acquire Travis Henry, both are coming up huge for the Titans this year. Fisher really has done a lot to turn around a dying powerhouse, especially considering the huge cap restrictions they've had the past two years.

I can't argue that Fisher's a great coach (I wish the Browns had him), but this year I don't see him as COY.

Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby eman » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:29 am

Young is only responsible for 2 victories though. The Titans have been winning most of their games due to good coaching and a suddenly emerging defense that has been playing way better than expected. Vick, who is quite similar to VY, has a 5 point higher qb rating and convincingly better running stats, and clearly his team hasn't exactly been all too successful. Granted Vick has a worse attitude than VY, but it will take a bit more convincing for me to believe that VY is really responsible for the Titans recent success.

On the other hand though, I totally understand where you're coming from. It's just that Fisher did have to make the tough decision to go to VY, whereas for Mangini his lineup was pretty obvious and as far as I know he hasn't had to make any tough roster decisions that have led to the Jets success.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk