Sean Payton, Saints
60%
Eric Mangini, Jets
28%
Other
12%

Total votes : 65

Postby Kilroy » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:37 am

The only number I put much stock in with Vince is his W-L record as Tennessee's QB. No matter what the rest of the stats say, his insertion into the starters' role provided a spark that the entire team has fed off the second half of this season.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby WickedSmaat » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:24 am

Of the mentioned, The only thing I see is if Mangini makes it to the SB and Payton doesn't. Otherwise Payton gets the cake. Of the others mentioned, Fisher and McCarthy, I don't see them getting much recognition as it's hard to fight for fringe team coaches. That's why I don't think Mangini probably won't get it.
-Wicked
WickedSmaat
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Singing songs of satisfaction toooooo the wooooooorld..... (the world).

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:24 am

Mangenius deserves it, without a doubt.

There a few reasons why he deserves it over Payton:

- The AFC is so much harder than the NFC, so regardless of what the Jets schedule looks like, they are most likely going to make the playoffs in the AFC, which is very impressive, considering we won 4 games last year, lost Curtis Martin for the season, and did not add a stud QB like the saints did through FA.

- I also like what flot said. The Jets are ranked 28th in defense and 23rd in offense, and yet they are 9-6 and a win at home against oakland from making the playoffs.

- Mangini brought major upheaval to the defense, converting to the 3-4, and has managed to sure up the tremendous holes that were obvious problems in the beginning of the season, even though the Jets lack a true NT and a great pass rusher.

- Mangini has allowed two players, Jerricho Cotchery and Bryan Thomas, who were buried on the depth chart under herman edwards to emerge as very good players who may not have shown how good they are had edwards stayed on.

- Mangini makes unbelievable calls every week that people don't appreciate who don't watch the jets week in and week out.

- The Saints are 1-3 against the AFC, the superior conference. The Jets are 6-5. Not a huge stat, but i think it matters...
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Postby dgan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:01 am

I'd give it to Payton. His team is substantially better than it was last year, and really any Saint team in recent memory. This while incorporating a new QB flawelessly, handling a complicated Reggie/Deuce situation brilliantly, all the time with the Katrina situation as both a stimulant and a distraction for the team. They have a TON of obligations as a team in that community, and it never became a burden to them on the field.

Mangini has been unbelievable. But let's face it, when Pennington is healthy this team has always been good and in the playoff race. When Bollinger or someone else was at QB, they've been awful. Since Pennington has been healthy all year, being in the playoff hunt is kind of what you'd expect, especially when you look at how easy their schedule has been for an AFC team.

Fisher is an interesting name to throw out there, but a few of their wins have been as much the work of the football gods as it has been good play on the field. And if they hadn't started out SO awful and then finished with this incredible run, they would just be another mediocre team with a mediocre record. I'm not a huge fan of giving a coach the award for bringing a horrible team up to mediocrity when there are other coaches that have brought mediocre teams up to prominence.

I'm surprised (well, not really) that Schottenheimer doesn't get more pub. It seems everyone expects him to have great regular seasons and then flop in the playoffs. Therefore, it seems he doesn't get credit when they do have a tremendous regular season. I mean, to get your RB the TD record with a "rookie" QB, when defenses should be stacking the box...that's amazing. This team is essentially the Saints of the tougher AFC, and with a much better defense. So it is amazing that Payton gets so much attention and Schottenheimer gets none. The Chargers have repeatedly seemingly underachieved despite their talent, and now have been dominant. A lot of that credit should go to the coach.

But my vote still goes to Payton.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby sox 06 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:07 am

If Hurricane Katrina had never happened then Mangeni would have gotten my vote. But Payton took a team that was projected to have an awful season and turned them into one of the top teams in the NFC (although that's not saying much :-b ) Not only did he turn the team around but he had to deal with all of the off-field stuff due to the hurricane. Mangeni walked into an on the field mess and he cleaned that up. But Payton walked onto an on field mess as well as an off field mess.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:59 am

I think Nolan from SF deserves a little pub here too. He has done an amazing job turning around a 9er team that has Gore and no more. Smith has been a disappointment this season and Bryant refused to step up. But up til recently the 9ers were in the playoff hunt.

Fisher is my vote for coach of the year becuase he has turned a lost season around with enough distractions around to allow any team to tank. Chrissy Brown. Anyone remember her? I don't recall Fish trashing him, but he has disappeared. LenDale White? Never stepped up, seldom showed up. VY. Great job by Fish in structuring the O to take advantage of the rook's unique abilities. Taking this team as far as they've gone with all the distraction equals COY to me.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby mrblitz » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:14 pm

Although, I think both deserve it at different levels. It's clear to me that what Payton has done , with a team just coming off of a horrendous unlucky season, with supposedly little to work with on both sides of the ball has done. He is the clear cut winner to me. I think he meets the Eagles in the NFC Championship.

Call em as I see em!
mrblitz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:51 pm

Why does everyone love Sean Payton SO much!?!

Brees, Bush, McAllister, and Horn at the playmaker positions on offense. Colston and Henderson were great rookie picks to help levitate a pass-heavy offense. Payton was a wonderful coach to take over the Saints, but in no way was he the best coach this year.

That honor, as ESPN.com's Michael Smith points out, should belong to Jeff Fisher. Rather than rely on offseason acquisitions (such as the Saints spending spree on Bush and Brees), Fisher has developed his players. Vince Young was a godsend in the draft, negating Bush's impact, but Chris Brown/Travis Henry, Drew Bennett, and many other starters for the Titans have been coached and developed over their careers by Fisher. Fisher is the reason the Titans are in the playoff hunt. Mickey Loonis (the Saints GM) is the reason for their resurgance.

Jeff Fisher for coach of the year.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dgan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:40 pm

I agree Fisher has done a good job, but using that philosophy, what makes him better than Nolan, McCarthy, and especially Mangini? You don't get coach of the year for getting your team to play well for the last HALF of the season. You get Coach of the Year by having your team play well all year. Otherwise, they would call it Coach of the 8 Game Award.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby eman » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:57 am

LoveBoatCaptain wrote:Why does everyone love Sean Payton SO much!?!

Brees, Bush, McAllister, and Horn at the playmaker positions on offense. Colston and Henderson were great rookie picks to help levitate a pass-heavy offense. Payton was a wonderful coach to take over the Saints, but in no way was he the best coach this year.

....Payton was responsible for bringing in Brees, Bush, and Colston, and he has turned the Saints franchise in an immediate 180 against great odds.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk