Saddam To Be Hanged Within 30 Days - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Saddam To Be Hanged Within 30 Days

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Goatwhacker » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:12 pm

boojumsnark25 wrote:
Haha, are you serious with that? History is not the "bottom line". History, yes, does repeat itself sometimes, but it is not a 100% guaranteed foreshadowing of what's going to happen. To say that history is always the future's prophet is ridiculous.

Here's the thing - you are trying to set yourself up as the future's prophet, trying to predict what would happen if Hussein tried to regain power and if he would die anyway before the situation in Iraq changed. With his execution, regardless of how you might feel about the death penalty, we can say with certainty he will not return to power.

But I'll say again - the effectiveness on life imprisonment depends on the next generation to agree with you, In the case of Iraq, it's not even the next generation, it's whatever the next regime thinks, and a new regime may not be far away. I hope the current Iraq government succeeds but who knows.
Goatwhacker
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby boojumsnark25 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:15 pm

Goatwhacker wrote:
boojumsnark25 wrote:
Haha, are you serious with that? History is not the "bottom line". History, yes, does repeat itself sometimes, but it is not a 100% guaranteed foreshadowing of what's going to happen. To say that history is always the future's prophet is ridiculous.

Here's the thing - you are trying to set yourself up as the future's prophet, trying to predict what would happen if Hussein tried to regain power and if he would die anyway before the situation in Iraq changed. With his execution, regardless of how you might feel about the death penalty, we can say with certainty he will not return to power.

But I'll say again - the effectiveness on life imprisonment depends on the next generation to agree with you, In the case of Iraq, it's not even the next generation, it's whatever the next regime thinks, and a new regime may not be far away. I hope the current Iraq government succeeds but who knows.

I never once said it was impossible for him to return to power. I'm saying it's highly unlikely. I'm not trying to be a prophet.

I'm against Saddam being executed. That is all I'm saying. Like I said, this conversation changed lanes without using a signal a couple times.
boojumsnark25
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby knapplc » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:23 pm

boojumsnark25 wrote:I'm against Saddam being executed. That is all I'm saying. Like I said, this conversation changed lanes without using a signal a couple times.

I'm against executing anyone, too. I wish we had a St. Helena where we could send Saddam to live out his days in prison. But as small as the world is today, that's not a reality.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Bravos of Steel » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:50 pm

well, not sure if anyone's seen it yet, but Saddam's death IS on Google Video.

*Disclaimer* Shows pretty much everything, Graphic

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9766935521
Bravos of Steel
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby boojumsnark25 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:17 pm

why would anyone want to watch the death of another? I though that left with the late 1800's...
boojumsnark25
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:21 pm

boojumsnark25 wrote:why would anyone want to watch the death of another? I though that left with the late 1800's...

I agree... I am making a consious decision to not watch that.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Tiki » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:17 am

I started to watch it, but then realized the deed is done. And I don't need to see him die....
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:47 am

Look, I realize that the argument is he might somehow bust out but I really don't see that happening if they kept him alive. First of all, like someone mentioned, he's around 70 years old. He'd probably die soon anyways. Second, the US could easily deport him to the States or somewhere else outside Iraq and hold him. The only reason I could see why people wanted the execution was to get rid of the burden of locking up this potential threat when in fact he likely would have been harmless.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:17 am

boojumsnark25 wrote:
knapplc wrote:
boojumsnark25 wrote:Haha, are you serious with that?

Sure am. I'm not going to go to war over this; all I'm saying is that you're making it a little more simplistic than it really is by saying that there's no way Saddam could have come back to power in Iraq.

Let's say the US leaves Iraq and Saddam is still alive in jail. He gets busted out (which has just recently happened), his supporters (of which there are many) arm themselves (kinda like they're doing now), they fight a guerrilla battle until they gain the upper hand (kinda like they're doing now), and over the course of one, two, maybe five years they put him back in the palace.

Look at Afghanistan. It's happening there right now, or at least the Taliban are trying to make it happen. Don't disregard it simply because it seems far-fetched. It happened with Napoleon, it's possibly happening in Afghanistan and it could happen in Iraq.

OK, I guess I don't buy into that whole "history repeats itself" thing. I can think of too many differences between the Napoleonic era and the modern era.

Besides...to disprove your theory, all I have to do is provide one example of a ruler who was ousted from power, but not put to death, and who never returned to power. Mussolini, if I'm not mistaken, fits that bill. So if history repeats itself, it could repeat in either direction, right? So how can you be so sure of the fact it would repeat in the direction you say it would?

Actually Mussolini and his mistress were both executed (shot) by partisans and then hung on meat hooks in the public square to discourage any other fascists from continuing to fight.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:41 am

bobbing_headz wrote:Look, I realize that the argument is he might somehow bust out but I really don't see that happening if they kept him alive. First of all, like someone mentioned, he's around 70 years old. He'd probably die soon anyways.

You've never seen The Rock have you? }:-) :-b
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk