Frustrating loss... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Frustrating loss...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Frustrating loss...

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:04 pm

Just lost in the semi-finals by 1 1/2 points. I was watching the Jets game, and watched my Superbowl hopes go down the tubes when Cotchery caught that TD pass! The way the game was going, I thought I really had a chance.

Steve Smith, giving me a complete blank, and Jacksonville, with their great homefield defense doing horrible, helped insure this loss for me.

Frustrating me is all the changes I could have, and almost did make:

I could have played Garcia over Campbell.
I could have played Travis Henry over Warrick Dunn.
I could have played Tennessee's D over Jacksonville's D.
And finally, even last night, I could have played Zach Thomas over Brian Dawkins.

Each of these scenarios were moves I was definately thinking about making that would have won me the week. Just dropped Tennessee on Friday and picked up Travis Henry. I also just dropped someone to pick up Zach Thomas just in case Dawkins ended up not being able to go. Before the Philly game I thought about making the change, thinking Zach Thomas was more likely to get me points... And Garcia has been on my bench for a while.

I also could have put Jurevicius in there in place of Steve Smith, but I have to be realistic. There was no way I was going to do that.
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:12 pm

definitely have done:

I could have played Garcia over Campbell.
I could have played Travis Henry over Warrick Dunn.
but would have started jax defense.
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 134)

Postby moose410 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:34 pm

Should have ,Could have.
All part of the Crap shoot we call Fantasy Football.
If we knew for sure what anygiven player was going to do each
week we would always win. What fun would that be??
Wait come to think of it that would be OK with me.
moose410
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby maddog60 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:03 pm

Well, I'd be kicking myself for 3 of those decisions, not for starting Smith or JAX though. You have to go with the guys who have the best odds. I dont understand a) how Thomas was on waivers, b) why you would start anybody over him. Man has 150+ tackles this year. He's the most likely to produce in IDP any given week, and he's been that way for years, so you know its not a fluke.

Either way, you make calls, but hindsight is 20/20. Just continue to try and gain more insight, and hope your knowledge of matchups and players pays off next year.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:23 pm

maddog60 wrote:Well, I'd be kicking myself for 3 of those decisions, not for starting Smith or JAX though. You have to go with the guys who have the best odds. I dont understand a) how Thomas was on waivers, b) why you would start anybody over him. Man has 150+ tackles this year. He's the most likely to produce in IDP any given week, and he's been that way for years, so you know its not a fluke.

I too am most disappointed in the decision to play Dawkins. I was surprised to see Zach Thomas out there on waivers too... which was why I picked him up in a second. But the way I saw it was that Zach was the conservative play... he would get me some points, and was not injured at all. Dawkins was listed as probable, and I saw him as someone who might go off, assuming he was playing... that, to me, was the worst of my 3 decisions. I generally am a conservative type player, so it was very unlike me to play Dawkins. The other two decisions were conservative. Travis Henry's injury status was questionable, so he might not have played. At least Dunn was definately going to play. Both had good matchups. (Just the same, I was very close to playing Henry because he was playing against his old team). Campbell had the better matchup... except that I keep forgetting that Dallas' defense is not that good. As for Jacksonville's defense, they had burnt me in the past, so I knew I didn't want to count on them. I think the reason why I kept them in there was so they would do bad... that means the Patriots do good, right? lol.

As you say, you live and learn...
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moochman » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:59 pm

I have to question the merit of your moniker, quitesanemax. If that was your semi then your SuperBowl would be next week? That's not sane. Sux that you lost, but how much will it suck when someone loses the SB becuase half his team doesn't play?
Change that next year dood, and sorry about your tough luck. That is the bittersweet nature of FF: watching some player score a TD in a game when it looked like he wasn't going to do anything. Better luck next year, quitesanemax

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby quitesanemax » Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:24 pm

moochman wrote:I have to question the merit of your moniker, quitesanemax. If that was your semi then your SuperBowl would be next week? That's not sane. Sux that you lost, but how much will it suck when someone loses the SB becuase half his team doesn't play?
Change that next year dood, and sorry about your tough luck. That is the bittersweet nature of FF: watching some player score a TD in a game when it looked like he wasn't going to do anything. Better luck next year, quitesanemax

Good observation, Moochman. I am in agreement with you there... unfortunately, I'm not the commish. Some say that makes it all the more challenging that you have to know which ones to pick up that will give you points. I say its a crapshoot. The commish in this league, I believe, is someone who wouldn't no what to do with himself in week 17 if he wasn't playing ff. lol.

I will try and put it up for a vote next year...
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting