Jerry Rice vs Randy Moss - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jerry Rice vs Randy Moss

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:00 pm

I cannot recall Rice ever having to make a 'jump' for a ball or have to stop and reach back to catch a ball.

Yes, all of Jerry's 1400+ receptions have hit him in stride. He has never caught a jump ball or had to reach back for one. Rice is arguably the best football player ever to step on the field. Over the past several years, it has been highly debatable whether Moss was even the best WR in the NFL.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:05 pm

9er Fan wrote:
I cannot recall Rice ever having to make a 'jump' for a ball or have to stop and reach back to catch a ball.

Yes, all of Jerry's 1400+ receptions have hit him in stride. He has never caught a jump ball or had to reach back for one. Rice is arguably the best football player ever to step on the field. Over the past several years, it has been highly debatable whether Moss was even the best WR in the NFL.

That is what I am saying. Moss has to jump and dive for the balls throw bad. Rice always has had a good QB, so all he has to do it put his hands out.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Well.

Postby blueonion » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:20 pm

9er Fan -

I am not sure you are listening to what I am saying. I am not downplaying anything about Jerry Rice and I am not trying to rebute anything you say about Jerry Rice. Heck, I will also concede Jerry Rice is the epitome of of what a football player should be. I will also say that Jerry Rice is the bench mark for what every wide receiver should be compared too and what every wide receiver in the future should be compared too.

But what I am saying is that Randy Moss' physical attributes allow him to do things no other receiver can do or has ever done in the past and it would be ridiculous to use Randy Moss as a bench mark because his natural gifts (speed, height, leaping ability) make him a one-of-a-kind.

I know I am going to change sports, but for instance lets look at basketball. I think you could say as basketball players Kobe Bryant, Steve Frances and Allen Iverson are better basketball players than Mr. Shaq O'Neil. Shaq struggles at the free throw line and really doesn't have a great shot (other than a dunk). All he really has are just natural gifts (height, size and marginal talent) and consequently has a bigger impact on games than Kobe, Steve and Allen.

Again, I will concede that Rice runs better routes, has brought a high-level of play to every game for a long time, has really soft hands, probably one of the best at going across the middle and is the epitome of a team player. What I am saying is all those things may not make up for the gifts Randy Moss has.

Lets repeat the question, Moss sprinting down the field and going up for a jump ball (with an average quarterback and\or on a bad team) is a high percentage play and I don't think this was the case for Rice.

When we talk Rice and Moss, we are talking apples and oranges.

The BlueOnion
blueonion
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:21 pm

You guys highly underestimate the ability to run perfect routes. One day, Moss won't be as fast as he is now and he won't be able to jump like he does now. When that day comes, he is gonna have to do something then rely on his god given talent to create seperation and make catches. If he can't, he is done as a WR, and all talk of him breaking any records are out the window.

That is what made Jerry Rice so great over the course of the last 20 years. He was never that fast (Young was faster), never that tall, but he could ALWAYS get himself open and I've seen him make some amazing catches in his day too. In almost every game I've seen him play, he doesn't drop anything. His hands were like a black hole. Yes, having a good QB to get you the ball in stride is a great thing, but if you have hands of stone, it won't matter. The fact that such a "physically ungifted" WR was able to generate such seperation on not talent, but cunning is what makes him the best of all time.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:27 pm

On a semi-side note, I've seen saying for a couple years now, that the nature of the DB position is going to have to change to compensate for the physical freaks like Boston and Moss. They're going to have to be taller and faster to be able to run with those guys, but most importantly they're gonna have to be SMARTER! There has to be a new breed of DB that can take away the "bad throw, but I can still catch it b/c I am Randy Moss" type play. Chris Gamble from OSU intrigues me. He plays both WR and DB and excels at both. I dunno what his 40 time is, but a 6'2 DB with WR instincts might be just what the NFL needs.
Last edited by KingGhidra on Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Lets review the question again...

Postby blueonion » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:28 pm

Lets review the question again...

<b>The Question is, who is a better wide receiver; Jerry Rice in his prime or Randy Moss in his prime?</b>

I will concede the fact that Jerry Rice will probably have a better career (Super Bowls, Stats and such) when it is all said and done.

I will also concede that Jerry Rice got the most out of all his talent; a guy said to be to slow et al.

I will also concede that if the only criteria to be the best wide receiver was running routes, having soft hands and being a team player...Jerry Rice would have to be considered better than Randy Moss.

<b>But what I am asking is, the two players, in their prime... who brings more to the table and has a bigger impact on the game?</b>

The BlueOnion
blueonion
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby KingGhidra » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:31 pm

Down by 5, 2:00 left on the clock and it's the Super Bowl. I want the guy that can outsmart his DB so well and be SO wide open, that even Ryan Leaf can make the throw.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SuperCafone » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:35 pm

Comparing Rice with Moss is like comparing Mark Rypien (super bowl season) with Montana period! (well at least both won the superbowl).
vikes fans this is not to offend you but I think you are just overhyped by the way this season has turned for you guys.
I mean you cant even compare Moss with Carter for the sake of all of us!
Last edited by SuperCafone on Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solo c'è la vittoria
SuperCafone
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dazedncnfz » Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:45 pm

You guys are making a comparison of two guy different types of recievers...

1st and for most Rice is best there was and the best that will EVER be. period. I'm no fool hes not the not best anymore, but jeesh the man is 40 and hes still better then over half the receivers out there now.

For those of you who compare him now at 40 years old on the Raiders and think he can't still do it, check out last years stats at 39 years old (92 rec...1211 yards and 7 TDs)....Now when Moss is 39 and if, and thats a big if hes still playing the game we'll see if he can put up those numbers.

Rice runs the best routes, and has the best hands of any reciever to every play. Don't give me the BS about he had Montana and Young throwing him the ball.. he did it with who ever would throw him the ball. The man was not all that in his first year in the NFL. It was from 1986 (his 2nd year) on that he showed excately what he could do and proved that no one could stop him from doing it.

For those of you who make the arguement that Rice had Taylor and Owens near the end of his career (in SF), Moss had Carter. You all beef up Carter and even dare to say he was better then Rice?. 1st Pffttt!...2nd If Carter was so damn good then Moss should have the number he has since he had such a great reciever on the other side of him.

No don't get me wrong Carter was damn good. But he was not and never will be better then Rice. Rice sets the standards for which all receivers are judged by. You flat out have to be the best to do that.

Now on to the debate" Moss is set to break all of Rice's records"..1st if Moss can last that long, and by lasting that long I mean play at a top level, not just being a body out on the field. We'll see then how good he is. 2nd big deal. Let Moss try, let Owens try. Those records will stand for a long long long time before anyone even comes close to them. When the day comes that someone (be it Moss or who ever) does break them, I say congrats...you still not the best, Rice is.

Certain people will always be the best to ever play no matter what records they hold or do not hold. Rice is a gifted athlete that works harder then most people do, to make sure he can help his team win. He holds a ridiculas amount of records and his numbers are so far infront of the next closest person, its almost not fair.

Maybe someday people will talk about Moss and Rice in the same breath and make a good arguement for Moss, but as of right now there is no comparing the two. Rice has proved hes the best over and over again. On and off the field, yes Rice was never huge with fans (as far as careing whether or not they liked him) unitl his later years, but you never heard him rant on or off the field, never heard him say "I'll play when I fell like it", and never got into all the problems these top notch receivers do off the field today.

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Purple_Pride » Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:07 pm

Dazedncnfz wrote: On and off the field, yes Rice was never huge with fans (as far as careing whether or not they liked him) unitl his later years, but you never heard him rant on or off the field, never heard him say "I'll play when I fell like it", and never got into all the problems these top notch receivers do off the field today.

I could take you rarguement very very seriously and understand al the very valid points yo umade until you said this. that quote completely ruins you validity IMO. if you would take the time to go back and read the whole article about read all of the quote from Randy Moss yo uwould realize that all he said was that it wasnt Cris Carter that made him play, he plays cause he wants to play. you can not expect a player who runs 40 yard fly routes play after play to sprint at 100% every single play even when he knows he has no chance of getting the ball. he still brings his 2 and sometime 3 dbs with him. againim not arguing that moss is better than Rice. all around Rice was a better WR. but in my opinion its like trying to compare wayne gretzky and gordie howe, they played to completely different styles and were each respctivle y the best at what they did.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk