Jerry Rice vs Randy Moss - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jerry Rice vs Randy Moss

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Purple_Pride » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:32 pm

people mature. randy obviously has had his problems early in his career but can anyone tell me any flaws about how he has conducted himslef this ofseason or this season? he was in a strict training program all off-season as well as joining every team program. he has become a leader in the locker room, Jerry Rice was never a media darling but his team mates liked him and Moss is the same way, he has the respect from all team mates. Moss may never play as long as Rice has but I do belive that his work ethic is getting better each year.
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:33 pm

Jerry Rice used to be the ultimate game breaker. No one could turn the 5 yard slant into the 70 yard TD like he could. Yeah, now he's basically a posession receiver, and has been for the past 8 years or so, but in his prime he was a threat to go all the way every time he touched the ball. He would rarely catch the long bombs for TDs, but thats mostly because the long bomb isn't really part of the West-Coast offense (not to mention Montana/Young didn't really have the arms to throw the long ball). Point is, Rice did everything. Break the game open with a huge play, get you the tough first down over the middle, spring a RB/WR with a great block, etc. It's unfair to say Rice (in his prime) was a posession receiver.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby The Sandwich » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:41 pm

Better physical talent, no doubt. But there is more to being a receiver then just being big fast and catching the ball. Just like I said about TO the other week, "the great ones always make those around them better" When the chips were down last year Moss was a liability with his temper and atitude. Time will tell who ends up in the better #'s, but for my money I'll take Rice. Better receiver, better person more importantly.
The Sandwich
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Dazedncnfz » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:44 pm

9er Fan wrote:Jerry Rice used to be the ultimate game breaker. No one could turn the 5 yard slant into the 70 yard TD like he could. Yeah, now he's basically a posession receiver, and has been for the past 8 years or so, but in his prime he was a threat to go all the way every time he touched the ball. He would rarely catch the long bombs for TDs, but thats mostly because the long bomb isn't really part of the West-Coast offense (not to mention Montana/Young didn't really have the arms to throw the long ball). Point is, Rice did everything. Break the game open with a huge play, get you the tough first down over the middle, spring a RB/WR with a great block, etc. It's unfair to say Rice (in his prime) was a posession receiver.

I couldn't have said this better myself. With all that said and done, there is one other big difference between Rice and all these other receivers...Rice has Rings and none of them do....

T.S. - "You don't have to love me, but you will [b]RESPECT[/b] me"
Dazedncnfz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Purple_Pride » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:38 pm

i think you have got the wrong idea from what i have said, maybe i didnt make it clear. in my humble opinion Randy Moss is not Jerry Rice. I think Moss has the potential to be remembered as the greatest as it stands today that distinction belongs to Jerry. (or CC, i think he was an amazing player, though he did not have the longevity that jerry has displayed, which may be the most amazing part of Rice's career.)
"When the truth walks away who is gonna stay? Cause the truth about the world is that crime does pay?"

RICHARD
Purple_Pride
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby josebach » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:44 pm

Purple_Pride wrote:people mature. randy obviously has had his problems early in his career but can anyone tell me any flaws about how he has conducted himslef this ofseason or this season?

Yeah, he took the entire bye week off while the rest of his teammates practiced.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby emaja » Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:54 pm

josebach wrote:
Purple_Pride wrote:people mature. randy obviously has had his problems early in his career but can anyone tell me any flaws about how he has conducted himslef this ofseason or this season?

Yeah, he took the entire bye week off while the rest of his teammates practiced.

He was given the week off by his coaches so that he wouldn't have to miss any game time like CPepp.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...

It seems my thread has been highjacked

Postby blueonion » Fri Oct 17, 2003 7:44 am

Well it seems the topic is getting pretty heated and off track.

At this time (in Moss' career), I would have to say I doubt Randy Moss will break many of Jerry Rice's records. I think Randy Moss is a team player, but at this point in his career it would also be unfair to say Randy Moss is as good a team player as Jerry Rice was or if Moss was even better. One cannot argue with Jerry Rice's percision routes and soft hands; they could be the best combination ever. It would also be hard to to say there is anybody in the NFL that has worked as hard as Jerry Rice.

But I still don't think Jerry Rice (in his prime) is as talented as Randy Moss (in his prime).

Somebody brought it up earlier and I think it is a good point. You could put a division II quarterback behind center, send Moss on a fly pattern, let the defense triple coverage him and just throw up a jump ball and Moss most will likely will come down with it. This is a high percentage play and I am not sure people are giving Moss the credit he deserves for this.

<b>For example, </b> you could take a guy who is 6'9 and who has Jerry Rice work ethics. And lets say this guy mastered every skill imaginable to the center position (in basketball). Does this make him a better center than Shaq? No. Shaq is so gifted with his height he does not need a good jump shot (Randy Moss running patterns) because he is so much more athletically gifted then the next center, it all does not matter.

Obviously the best wide receiver ever to play the game will have Jerry Rice work ethics and Randy Moss ability.

The BlueOnion
blueonion
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Poobah » Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:20 am

Purple_Pride wrote:Rice always had other great recievers around him to take the preasure off. moss has who? D. Bates? K. Campbell? M. Williams? christ he just made Gus Frerotte make Montanna look like a CFL QB.

Moss had Cris Carter to help get him started his first 3-4 years. A first-ballot HOF. I don't mean to denigrate any of these guys I'm about to mention, as I sure as hell can't do what they can, but with the exception of Terrell Owens in Jerry Rice's last year, I can come up with an aging Dwight Clark (who may have jumped for a pass or two, much to the chagrin of all Cowboys fans), John Taylor, and who else?
Poobah
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Ranker

Postby 9er Fan » Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:53 am

Somebody brought it up earlier and I think it is a good point. You could put a division II quarterback behind center, send Moss on a fly pattern, let the defense triple coverage him and just throw up a jump ball and Moss most will likely will come down with it. This is a high percentage play and I am not sure people are giving Moss the credit he deserves for this.

There may be games where Moss makes it look that easy, but if this were really true, why did Moss only have 7 TDs last year instead of say... 30? If he could beat triple coverage consistently, why don't they throw it to him every single play? Moss is more physically gifted than Rice, and if he had the work ethic of Rice, maybe he could become the greatest receiver of all time, but we'll never know.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk