So who gets #1 pick??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

So who gets #1 pick???

Moderator: Football Moderators

So who gets #1 pick???

Postby stomperrob » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:26 pm

Gets kinda complicated if both the Lions and the Raiders lose this weekend (not that it matters much since Millen will just squander the pick anyway - another WR on the menu Matt?):
Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Lions lead race for No. 1

A number of scenarios must play out for Detroit to hold off Oakland for top pick in NFL Draft.

Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

ALLEN PARK -- There is one foolproof way for the Lions to get the first pick in the 2007 NFL draft -- lose to the Cowboys Sunday and have Oakland beat the Jets.

If the Lions lose and the Raiders win, the Lions will have a 2-14 record and lock up the first pick on April 28. The Raiders would be 3-13.

It is more likely the Lions and Raiders will end their season with losses and finish with 2-14 records. Both teams are 12 1/2 -point underdogs.

If the Lions and Raiders are tied, the draft order will be decided by the tiebreaker formula -- and the odds swing heavily in favor of the Lions drafting first.

Strength of schedule is the first tiebreaker in the draft order for teams with the same record. A team that played a weaker schedule drafts first, based on the theory that the record was achieved against weaker teams.

If the tie isn't broken by strength of schedule, the next step is a coin flip.

In practical terms, the Lions go into the last week with a four-game lead over the Raiders in the tiebreaker. Including the Jets and Cowboys, the Lions' opponents have a 127-113 won-lost record. The Raiders' opponents are 131-109.

In the final week, there are 10 games involving teams the Lions played and eight involving Raiders opponents, not counting their own games with Dallas and Oakland.

In two games, the Lions played both teams -- Green Bay at Chicago and St. Louis at Minnesota. In four games, Oakland played both teams -- Arizona-San Diego, Cleveland-Houston, San Francisco-Denver and Pittsburgh-Cincinnati.

The last week features five common opponents for the Raiders and Lions -- Arizona, San Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis and the Jets.

Some serious hair-splitting is required to find a way for the Lions to pick up five losses and drop into the second pick. Here are some factors that will decide the order:

The Green Bay-Chicago outcome means nothing because the Lions played both NFC North rivals twice. They'll add two games to the win column and two to the loss column.

Seattle-Tampa Bay is another game that means nothing. Both teams played Seattle but did not play Tampa Bay.

In Minnesota-St. Louis, a victory for Minnesota -- another NFC North team -- helps the Lions get the first pick. It would add two games to the opponents win column and one to the loss column because the Lions played Minnesota twice. A Minnesota loss adds a game to the Raiders' opponents loss column.

Buffalo-Baltimore represents a two-game swing. The Lions played Buffalo. The Raiders played Baltimore.

Atlanta (at Philadelphia) and New England (at Tennessee) played the Lions but not the Raiders.

Denver, San Diego and Kansas City, the Raiders' AFC West rivals, do not play each other. However, two games involve Lions' opponents -- Arizona at San Diego and San Francisco at Denver.

Arizona and San Francisco are heavy underdogs. If they lose, as expected, it will widen the gap between the Lions and Raiders. Jacksonville is at Kansas City.

Forget ties. Ties are for Christmas. There hasn't been a tie since the Atlanta-Pittsburgh game in 2002.

You can reach Mike O'Hara at (313) 982-3810 or mailto:mike.ohara@detnews.com.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby CC » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:16 pm

This basically ensures Quinn and Thomas will be the top 2 picks.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Munboy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:59 pm

CC wrote:This basically ensures Quinn and Thomas will be the top 2 picks.

You think Quinn will go over Troy Smith?
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Popcynical » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:09 pm

With the first pick of the 2007 draft, the Detroit Lions select Calvin Johnson.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Humpback » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:36 pm

Munboy wrote:

Quinn should definitely go over Smith, but I don't think Quinn and Thomas are a lock for the first two picks. It would make sense, but Oakland could certainly go a different direction since their last high pick "can't miss" o-lineman has been a bust so far.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Munboy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:21 pm

Humpback wrote:
Munboy wrote:

Quinn should definitely go over Smith, but I don't think Quinn and Thomas are a lock for the first two picks. It would make sense, but Oakland could certainly go a different direction since their last high pick "can't miss" o-lineman has been a bust so far.

I don't know. Smith might get a nudge from the vince young effect. With all the success he's had in the NFL, teams might look at smith as the same type. Not the greatest michanics but can run and is one of those "just wins" type of QBs.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CC » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:17 pm

Smith is too short to be the prototypical QB prospect that Quinn is and does not have elite arm strength. I would be surprised if he goes in the 1st round. He is likely to be an early 2nd round pick.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:03 pm

I'm in agreement with CC. Smith isn't even the 2nd best QB in the draft, let alone 2nd overall. I'd be surprised if Brohm passes up the millions. If he declares, he's a better prospect than Smith. The combine plays into it a lot, too. The Raiders are better off riding out Brooks and settling for a 2nd or 3rd round QB, which could end up being Smith after all.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby eman » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:20 pm

Quinn is the next Eli, and by that I mean he'll be way overhyped and will never fulfill expectations. Lets just hope he doesnt pull an eli and refuse to play for the lions/raiders though. :-#
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:13 pm

Munboy wrote:
Humpback wrote:
Munboy wrote:

I don't know. Smith might get a nudge from the vince young effect. With all the success he's had in the NFL, teams might look at smith as the same type. Not the greatest michanics but can run and is one of those "just wins" type of QBs.

Yea, maybe if Smith was 6'5" like Vince. The fact of the matter, however, is that he is about 6 feet tall, and probably won't go in the first round.

And don't count out Gaines Adams for one of the top 2 picks, the guy is ridiculous, and the Detroit Lions do need a DE. Don't count out Alan Branch either, the Raiders need a DT.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)

Next

Return to Football Talk