Return to Football Talk

So who gets #1 pick???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Munboy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:19 pm

disgruntledjetsfan wrote:
Munboy wrote:
Humpback wrote:
Munboy wrote:
CC wrote:This basically ensures Quinn and Thomas will be the top 2 picks.

You think Quinn will go over Troy Smith?

Quinn should definitely go over Smith, but I don't think Quinn and Thomas are a lock for the first two picks. It would make sense, but Oakland could certainly go a different direction since their last high pick "can't miss" o-lineman has been a bust so far.

I don't know. Smith might get a nudge from the vince young effect. With all the success he's had in the NFL, teams might look at smith as the same type. Not the greatest michanics but can run and is one of those "just wins" type of QBs.

Yea, maybe if Smith was 6'5" like Vince. The fact of the matter, however, is that he is about 6 feet tall, and probably won't go in the first round.

And don't count out Gaines Adams for one of the top 2 picks, the guy is ridiculous, and the Detroit Lions do need a DE. Don't count out Alan Branch either, the Raiders need a DT.

ok ok I get it. I never realized he was that short. He's listed at 6'1 on the sites I visited. Anybody know who the shortest starting QB in the league is?
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dgan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:35 pm

My guess would be Vick. I think he's 6' with his cleats on....
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:02 am

I think Brees might be the shortest. 5' 11" if I remember correctly for what it's worth.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:23 am

I don't know, but Montana was short also, so there definatly can be short QBs.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dogthedyslexic » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:24 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I don't know, but Montana was short also, so there definatly can be short QBs.

dogthedyslexic
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby eman » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:43 am

Vick and Brees are the shortest starting qb's, though it's worth mentioning that Seneca Wallace is 5'11", since he'd be a starter on about half of the teams in the nfl.

And BTW, Montana was actually 6'2", so whilehe wasnt as tall as most other qb's, he was hardly small.
eman
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:55 am

Sure there are examples of small QB's in the league today but they are exceptions to the rule just like there are exceptions to every rule - they succeed not because they are short, but in spite of it. The prototype is still the Peyton Manning model at 6"5', 230 lbs. - bigger is better! ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby CC » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:12 am

There are not a ton of successful QBs that have been under 6'2. This is stolen from Scott Wright, but here is a list of the shortest 1st round QBs in the last decade or so:

2005 - Aaron Rodgers (6-2)
2004 - J.P. Losman (6-2)
2003 - Rex Grossman (6-1)
2001 - Michael Vick (6-0)
1999 - Cade McNown (6-1)
1994 - Heath Shuler (6-2)
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:48 am

CC wrote:There are not a ton of successful QBs that have been under 6'2. This is stolen from Scott Wright, but here is a list of the shortest 1st round QBs in the last decade or so:

2004 - J.P. Losman (6-2)
1999 - Cade McNown (6-1)

To be fair, Vick is very good, Grossman could be very good, as could Losman, and Rodgers hasnt had his shot yet.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby CC » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:53 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
CC wrote:There are not a ton of successful QBs that have been under 6'2. This is stolen from Scott Wright, but here is a list of the shortest 1st round QBs in the last decade or so:

2004 - J.P. Losman (6-2)
1999 - Cade McNown (6-1)

To be fair, Vick is very good, Grossman could be very good, as could Losman, and Rodgers hasnt had his shot yet.

To be even more fair, Smith is probably 5'11 and maybe 6'0 if he is lucky, and of those guys exactly one of them is a good NFL QB right now. Losman and Grossman could be good, but chances are that they will be mediocre over the course of their careers. Rodgers I will suspend judgment on since I am a Packers fan, but he hasn't done a lot yet.

So in the past 10 years there has been one successful first round QB drafted that is under 6'2 and it was one of the top 10 greatest athletes in any sport of this generation, a guy who revolutionized the way QBs play the game completely.
I ain't no suit-wearin' businessman like you... you know I'm just a gangsta I suppose... - Avon Barksdale
CC
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk