So who gets #1 pick??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

So who gets #1 pick???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Humpback » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:11 pm

Regardless of who ends up the better QB, no way Smith gets drafted ahead of Quinn. Wallace would not be a starter on 1/2 of the teams in the NFL, by the way. Homer alert!
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:17 pm

The Lions lose to the Cows and they get the number one pick. The improbability of enough other teams getting upset wins to change the strength of schedule ratiing are as unlikey as the Lions making a wise football move.

I just hope that the Lions draft Joe Thomas LT of Wisconsin.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby maddog60 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:18 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
CC wrote:There are not a ton of successful QBs that have been under 6'2. This is stolen from Scott Wright, but here is a list of the shortest 1st round QBs in the last decade or so:

2005 - Aaron Rodgers (6-2)
2004 - J.P. Losman (6-2)
2003 - Rex Grossman (6-1)
2001 - Michael Vick (6-0)
1999 - Cade McNown (6-1)
1994 - Heath Shuler (6-2)

To be fair, Vick is very good, Grossman could be very good, as could Losman, and Rodgers hasnt had his shot yet.

Umm, no he's not. He's a great athlete, and every now and then he has a good game, but we're talking about a QB who has struggled to generate 200 or yards of total offense, or to achieve a better than 1:1 TD to turnover ratio for the bulk of his career.

Grossman could be, but right now he's the biggest liability on his team. But the jury is still out on those other 3, you're right about that.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Berge20 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:38 pm

Nothing matters as long as Millen is around.

:~(
Berge20
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby jayday » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:44 pm

moochman wrote:The Lions lose to the Cows and they get the number one pick. The improbability of enough other teams getting upset wins to change the strength of schedule ratiing are as unlikey as the Lions making a wise football move.

And where does that leave Jeff "6 years for $40 million" Backus? He isn't capable of playing RT....Does he slide to LG? That's an extraordinary amount of money for an interior lineman...

I still think Quinn ends up in Detroit if they get the top pick...
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Munboy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:16 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
CC wrote:There are not a ton of successful QBs that have been under 6'2. This is stolen from Scott Wright, but here is a list of the shortest 1st round QBs in the last decade or so:

2005 - Aaron Rodgers (6-2)
2004 - J.P. Losman (6-2)
2003 - Rex Grossman (6-1)
2001 - Michael Vick (6-0)
1999 - Cade McNown (6-1)
1994 - Heath Shuler (6-2)

To be fair, Vick is very good, Grossman could be very good, as could Losman, and Rodgers hasnt had his shot yet.

Yeeeaaaaahhhhh...no. Vick isn't "very good". He's an awesome athlete and a good FF QB, but as a real world QB he's barely average. His fast ball throws either sail or skip off the ground. His touch passes have no touch at all. He doesn't seem to have much of a progression read. And he's completely failed to pick up their version of the west coast.

I wonder if its his height that holds him back. Maybe if he was a little taller, it'd be easier to see over the O and Dline and he might be able to get his passes on target more often. Wasn't Doug Flutie really short? But then again, he hasn't had much success at all in the NFL.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:03 pm

Yea Flutie is short, I rememeber him shedding some light on being a short QB awhile back, and he was specifically mentioning Troy Smith, I can't remember what he said, but maybe someone could find the clip, it was on an ESPN show.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Double Play Ball » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:15 am

CC wrote:Smith is too short to be the prototypical QB prospect that Quinn is and does not have elite arm strength. I would be surprised if he goes in the 1st round. He is likely to be an early 2nd round pick.

yea only way Smith goes 1st round is if Ravens take him, which is highly unlikely. Probably going to go to Browns 2nd Round
Double Play Ball
Head Coach
Head Coach

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:25 am

jayday wrote:
moochman wrote:The Lions lose to the Cows and they get the number one pick. The improbability of enough other teams getting upset wins to change the strength of schedule ratiing are as unlikey as the Lions making a wise football move.

And where does that leave Jeff "6 years for $40 million" Backus? He isn't capable of playing RT....Does he slide to LG? That's an extraordinary amount of money for an interior lineman...

I still think Quinn ends up in Detroit if they get the top pick...

Either there or at RT. Backus might turn out to be a good LG, but he is a flop as a LT. Fitting that he was our franchise player, eh? It's a lot of money for most teams but you shouldn't forget we're talking Millen Money here. We tie up $Millens of Dollars in FAs who suck, WRs who can't play and QBs who either lead the league in turnovers or play back up WR. It's all funny money in Detroit because is a funny franchise.

Now it would be classic Lions' logic for them to use the we pay too much to Blockless...er.. Backus to draft another LT. That and the fact that it is the best pick they could take are the two biggest reasons against it ever happening.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby a4ce » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:45 am

And with the second pick in the draft, the Raiders select Adrian Peterson, RB out of Oklahoma.

Yeah baby!
Cash Money Brothers! - PPR
QB: Romo and Luck
RB: Shady, Spiller, Sproles, Joique, Giovani, Miller, and Le'veon (IR)
WR: AJ Green, Wayne, Bowe, Thompkins, and Gordon (IR)
TE: Witten
K: Prater
D/ST: 'Hawks
Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex, K and D/ST
a4ce
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 6)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk