Wonderlic test to be revised - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Wonderlic test to be revised

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:43 pm

eman wrote:I remember the first time I saw Devin Hester talking I was shocked. He was having trouble responding to simple questions and was not pronouncing things correctly and using improper/incorrect words repeatedly. I guess thats what you get when you go to Miami though.

He is no where near as bad as Caddillac Williams, and he went to Auburn 8-o
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby daullaz » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:49 pm

I do agree with the sentiment to some extent, but do remember that a lot of these players leave school before they get a degree. Not that learning how to speak proper English is something you can't learn till your senior year of college, but at least it means that diplomas are worth something.

That said, people will skate by as long as you let them, so I believe the onus is on the teams, media, and nation in general to not tolerate grown men acting, speaking and thinking like children.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby sportsaddict » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:49 pm

It doesn't really baffle me that Young did so poorly on his Wonderlic. I've never met the guy, so I don't know how intelligent he is. But the Wonderlic doesn't really show intelligence- it shows "school smarts" if that makes any sense. I know Young went to a very rough inner city school in Houston, so I'm sure it was hard for him to learn basics there. I know this first hand, I've tutored many inner city children who aren't stupid but just haven't been taught anything. Also, Young has probably been getting by playing football his whole life, which I'm not saying is right but could be a reason why he's never had to worry about school.

And anyway, how much class do you think Young went to while at Texas? Is it possible that football players never attend class? This is something I've always wanted to know, my guess is they go to class very sparingly.
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby aldridg6in » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:03 pm

sportsaddict wrote:It doesn't really baffle me that Young did so poorly on his Wonderlic. I've never met the guy, so I don't know how intelligent he is. But the Wonderlic doesn't really show intelligence- it shows "school smarts" if that makes any sense. I know Young went to a very rough inner city school in Houston, so I'm sure it was hard for him to learn basics there. I know this first hand, I've tutored many inner city children who aren't stupid but just haven't been taught anything. Also, Young has probably been getting by playing football his whole life, which I'm not saying is right but could be a reason why he's never had to worry about school.

And anyway, how much class do you think Young went to while at Texas? Is it possible that football players never attend class? This is something I've always wanted to know, my guess is they go to class very sparingly.

I think you're right in that players go to class very sparingly, but only if they're stars...I had a class with Vince Carter when I was at UNC and he showed up for maybe 2 classes all semester. I also had a class with John Holmes (a backup PG for the Heels) and he was in class every day. I'm sure that went for the football players as well.
aldridg6in
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby maddog60 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:35 pm

stomperrob wrote:
daullaz wrote:God, Vince Young. I remember all the attention that guy got for posting a low score. He must have flamed out pretty bad. He's no Ryan Fitzpatrick, that's for sure.

I wonder what happened to Young? Can anyone help out? Is he mopping the floors of Garrison Hall?

And what about when his kids come to him for help with their homework and he can't answer their questions when they ask "Daddy, what's 2+2=?" or "Daddy, how do you spell cat?" But then he has the money to hire them a private tutor. Why would anyone want anything as useless as an education when they can play football??? Better to model yourself after Dexter Manley - make it through university and be a pro football player while reading at a grade 3 level - jeez, I know I'd be proud to say that! ;-7

If you're dumb as a rock, but smart enough to hire someone to manage your money, so your family will be set for life, and your kids can go to any grade, middle, and high school they want, let alone university, I say congratulations. Judging someone just by their intelligence is as shallow as judging him just by their physical prowess. Success is success, and those that can succeed enough to give their children a better life than they had are the ones that pass at life.
maddog60
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:42 am

maddog60 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
daullaz wrote:God, Vince Young. I remember all the attention that guy got for posting a low score. He must have flamed out pretty bad. He's no Ryan Fitzpatrick, that's for sure.

I wonder what happened to Young? Can anyone help out? Is he mopping the floors of Garrison Hall?

And what about when his kids come to him for help with their homework and he can't answer their questions when they ask "Daddy, what's 2+2=?" or "Daddy, how do you spell cat?" But then he has the money to hire them a private tutor. Why would anyone want anything as useless as an education when they can play football??? Better to model yourself after Dexter Manley - make it through university and be a pro football player while reading at a grade 3 level - jeez, I know I'd be proud to say that! ;-7

If you're dumb as a rock, but smart enough to hire someone to manage your money, so your family will be set for life, and your kids can go to any grade, middle, and high school they want, let alone university, I say congratulations. Judging someone just by their intelligence is as shallow as judging him just by their physical prowess. Success is success, and those that can succeed enough to give their children a better life than they had are the ones that pass at life.

Actually I couldn't disagree with you more. A kid gets a scholarship to go to university and get a free education and doesn't take advantage of that opportunity, a chance to better himself intellectually - he just plays football and isn't at all interested in expanding his mind while he's there??? What if he's injured before he graduates, or injured in his first year in the pro's, or gets cut and never makes it in the pro's (been lots of first round busts) - what will he have to fall back on? And even if successful, what about life after football - it's nice to have some kinda knowledge in some field. And some of these kids get taken in and scammed and lose their money because they just aren't educated enough - sure you can hire advisors but then some of them hire crooked advisors because they don't know what to look for when they hire someone.
Sorry, but someone who gets a shot at a free university education and thumbs their nose at it doesn't pass at life in my book. That warrants an "F"!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Previous

Return to College Football